PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Houston It's Psychological

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsGuy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Assuming that Hoston pulls this game out and travels to Foxboro. It was what? about a month ago that they were beaten down?? I listened to the Houston Radio station the next day and they too were confused and had self doubt. That's why i'd go against conventional wisdom!. If the Pats win the coin flip i'd receive and not defer. Starting off, Houston will be doubting themselves. They're an outstanding football team but after what happened last month, you would not be human if you didn't wonder; "will it happen again" ? The Pats have the best offence in football. Putting points on the board the opening drive only accentuates the nagging fears of the Texans which in turn becomes a growing snowball and ending in a Pats victory!!

Agreed. Schaub and Kubiak are mental midgets and the shrink is on leave.

Assuming that Hoston pulls this game out and travels to Foxboro. It was what? about a month ago that they were beaten down?? I listened to the Houston Radio station the next day and they too were confused and had self doubt. That's why i'd go against conventional wisdom!. If the Pats win the coin flip i'd receive and not defer. Starting off, Houston will be doubting themselves. They're an outstanding football team but after what happened last month, you would not be human if you didn't wonder; "will it happen again" ? The Pats have the best offence in football. Putting points on the board the opening drive only accentuates the nagging fears of the Texans which in turn becomes a growing snowball and ending in a Pats victory!!
Maybe one of the NY franchises can help them with that...

Totally agree, listened to post game on xmradio (houston feed) 1st words out of mouth were "how cold it's going to be!!! Texans thought Ravens crowd was loud in playoffs last year...they haven't heard anything like they will sunday afternoon!!! IMO if it snows just before game or during game they cave like a house of cards. Also agree that we put foot on throats and dont let up... would love to see a 50burger on scoreboard!!! GO PATS GO!!!

No offense, but the fans are irrelevant in this and every game. I mean this board there are people who turn every decent team the Pats' face into the 72 Dolphins and chock the game up as a loss before it is played.

That said, the last time the Texans came in here, they were flying high with confidence and convinced they would show the world in prime time that they were the team to beat in the NFL. They even foolishly bough letterman jackets to make a statement.

This time around, they will likely be a little less confident and if the Pats can strike first it could send them in a spiral. I think the only way they can beat the Pats is if they get an early lead (then again, that is how their offense is built because they are not a come from behind team). Otherwise, it could be another blow out.

This game will be the REAL AFC Championship

I am more concerned about this game then I will be if they play Denver in 2 weeks ....yes probably no one agrees with me but I truly think that despite the massacre a few weeks ago,this Texans team matches up better defensively than Denver and Houston is a better overall team than the frauds from the Rockies.

Both teams are the best in the AFC IMO with Denver 3rd.

Throw out that last game and you best be sure this one will be a heart clenching game,this one means everything.

They are already trying to psych themselves up. Arian Foster said, after today's game" We owe them (New England) one".

The only one who can keep the Pats from winning this one is the Pats players and staff. McDaniels needs to come out with the exact same gameplan he had against the Texans the last time but tweaked with Gronk in the game. The Pats need to run the ball, use screen plays and set up the play-action pass.

Yeah it's Psychological because the Texans must convince themselves they can go on the road and beat a team that will score at least four touchdowns after they just barely beat a team at home that didn't manage to put it in the end zone once while playing offense.

Oh yeah, they'll also have to get it out of their minds how they decided to quit in the game against the Pats. They have to make themselves believe their coach didn't make them lay down because he wanted to save them further humiliation but because he wanted to save them for the next game.

Last edited:
That's why i'd go against conventional wisdom!. If the Pats win the coin flip i'd receive and not defer.

No way that Belichick turns down the opportunity to have the ball in back to back possessions to end the 1st half and then start the 2nd half.

That part of the 60 minute game is extremely precious, and can dictate the momentum for the rest of the game. It can also allow you to get back into the game if you are down at that point.

Belichick will likely defer 100/100 times, unless he'd rather have the wind advantage instead, etc.

This game will be the REAL AFC Championship

I am more concerned about this game then I will be if they play Denver in 2 weeks ....yes probably no one agrees with me but I truly think that despite the massacre a few weeks ago,this Texans team matches up better defensively than Denver and Houston is a better overall team than the frauds from the Rockies.

Both teams are the best in the AFC IMO with Denver 3rd.

Throw out that last game and you best be sure this one will be a heart clenching game,this one means everything.

Assuming we get to the AFCCG it will be in Denver and that has never been a favorable venue for the Pats. Not going to be the cakewalk some people think.

We have to get past Houston first. Personally I would rather face baltimore or Indy than Denver.

We have to get past Houston first. Personally I would rather face baltimore or Indy than Denver.

that's why I'm rooting for the Ravens tomorrow. They have the best chance to upset the Broncos (of the lowest 3 seeds). If they get the job done, we get to host them in the AFCCG in Foxboro.

Last edited:

On the other hand, you don't win the game in the first 6 minutes.
If you defer, stop them and score, you have demoralized them even worse, if you really think that is a factor (I don't).
If you build a 10-14 point 1st half lead then have the ball to start the second half, they may get desperate to score late in the half potentially causing a turnover, and even if not, a score to start the 2nd half, will have them in complete desperation.
Deferring is always the right move, because the first drive of the 2nd half is more critical.

Assuming we get to the AFCCG it will be in Denver and that has never been a favorable venue for the Pats. Not going to be the cakewalk some people think.

Well of course you want the AFCCG at home. But if you are going on the road, I'm good going against a D that has been our bltch lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are already trying to psych themselves up. Arian Foster said, after today's game" We owe them (New England) one".

The only one who can keep the Pats from winning this one is the Pats players and staff. McDaniels needs to come out with the exact same gameplan he had against the Texans the last time but tweaked with Gronk in the game. The Pats need to run the ball, use screen plays and set up the play-action pass.

I don't think coming out with the exact same game plan you blew a team out with is the smartest move, considering the Texans defensive game plan will be totally different.

No offense, but the fans are irrelevant in this and every game. I mean this board there are people who turn every decent team the Pats' face into the 72 Dolphins and chock the game up as a loss before it is played.

That said, the last time the Texans came in here, they were flying high with confidence and convinced they would show the world in prime time that they were the team to beat in the NFL. They even foolishly bough letterman jackets to make a statement.

This time around, they will likely be a little less confident and if the Pats can strike first it could send them in a spiral. I think the only way they can beat the Pats is if they get an early lead (then again, that is how their offense is built because they are not a come from behind team). Otherwise, it could be another blow out.

They called that the biggest game in franchise history.

"will it happen again" ?
<echo on>
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
"will it happen again" ?
<echo off>

Yeah it's Psychological because the Texans must convince themselves they can go on the road and beat a team that will score at least four touchdowns after they just barely beat a team at home that didn't manage to put it in the end zone once while playing offense.

Oh yeah, they'll also have to get it out of their minds how they decided to quit in the game against the Pats. They have to make themselves believe their coach didn't make them lay down because he wanted to save them further humiliation but because he wanted to save them for the next game.

With all due respect I think psychological thing is a little overblown. I heard the same thing a few years ago when we played the Jets in the playoffs after we smashed them 45-3. When the game starts both teams will be juiced up, and ready to play.

I still believe we will win, but I think this will be a real tough game for us. Tougher than many here believe.

It's not psychological. It's about making first downs, tiring out the Texans defense, and stopping Arian Foster who was the Texans offense against the Bengals.

Get a lead, stop Foster, keep the chains moving and make Schaub beat you. Just like last time.

Oh, and one more thing. Rob0729 said the fans are irrelevant. That is correct as long as I'm wearing the lucky t-shirt that Ian sent me for being a supporter of this message board, and I sit on my lucky cushion.

The Denver Broncos of the last three months would destroy the current Houston Texans. So if Houston beat us and they got crushed by Denver, we would all feel terrible.

Might as well put Houston out of their misery now! :)

Oh, and one more thing. Rob0729 said the fans are irrelevant. That is correct as long as I'm wearing the lucky t-shirt that Ian sent me for being a supporter of this message board, and I sit on my lucky cushion.

Please continue to do so :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back