PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats hire Floyd Reese as Senior Football Advisor; Caserio will remain director

Status
Not open for further replies.
From another board

ESPN had this guy and he wasn't their draft GURU. Kiper and Mcshay couldn't hold his jock.

BB is a great talent guy and they just added another.

Its no wonder why they keep winning.

from another team

"must be nice to have a team that hires people actually concerned with football."

Don Banks just sais that Reese has known Belichick for so long (since '76) that he's one of the few people who knows him well enough to call him "Billy".

Re: Pats hire Reese

Some of the names that stood out to me that he has Drafted Since 95. And this was just a quick look

Steve McNair
Eddie George
Jon Runyan
Kenny Holmes
Derrick Mason
Kevin Dyson
Samarai Rolle
Benji Olsen
Jevon Kearse
John Thorton
Zack Piller (I believe he is the one in the Pats DVD freaking out about the cold in the Titans 5 degree game)
Keith Bullock
Robaire Smith
Justin Macereins
Hanesworth
Justin Hartwig
Carlos Hall

I'll stop there as we are getting into the more recent Drafts and you guys can remember those better.

Some guys on my list were not pro bowler but solid players.

Don't forget Michael Roos and Courtland Finnegan who he found in the 7th round and are both 1st team All-Pro's this year.

J D Sal

Some of the names that stood out to me that he has Drafted Since 95. And this was just a quick look

Steve McNair
Eddie George
Jon Runyan
Kenny Holmes
Derrick Mason
Kevin Dyson
Samarai Rolle
Benji Olsen
Jevon Kearse
John Thorton
Zack Piller (I believe he is the one in the Pats DVD freaking out about the cold in the Titans 5 degree game)
Keith Bullock
Robaire Smith
Justin Macereins
Hanesworth
Justin Hartwig
Carlos Hall

I'll stop there as we are getting into the more recent Drafts and you guys can remember those better.

Some guys on my list were not pro bowler but solid players.

Some were and are good players but half of those players kinda just .. well stink.. Most are #1 picks that never lived up to potential and were barely starters on teams.

Kevin Dyson - injuries derailed him
Samarai Rolle - remember for his name than play.. Never mind the injuries he's had
Justin Macereins - Cashed in on the Jets and never did a thing after
Kenny Holmes - 18th pick that never amt to much
Carlos Hall - JAG

Last edited:

I'm pretty happy with this move. Sure, he drafted Pacman, but everyone screws up. Did we want to run Pioli out of town for drafting Maroney and Chad Jackson? (actually, scratch that- some people did). On the whole, he's an experienced and talented guy who will help a great deal in contract negotiations, and who will provide a great perspective to be taken into consideration along with Belichick's and Caserio's.

Just over one week ago, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick met with ESPN analyst Floyd Reese.

Their meetings led to a multi-year contract that was signed Monday, making Reese the Patriots’ senior adviser, helping to fill the void that Scott Pioli created when he took the Chiefs general manager’s job.

Now Reese and his family are planning to move to Foxborough, Mass., so he can jump right into work with next month’s scouting combine and free agency approaching.

“The opportunities most of the time are in areas or with teams that are broken, unable to win, don’t have quarterbacks, don’t have backing, maybe have issues with stadiums or facilities, fan support, whatever it may be,” Reese said Tuesday. “This opportunity is so at the opposite end of the spectrum from all of that.

“This is indeed a thrill because none of those things are broken. They’re all in very good shape. It’s going to be my role to come in and help however I can.”

One of Reese’s jobs will be addressing the Matt Cassel situation. He is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent and New England is expected to slap its franchise tag on him.

Previously, Reese might have assessed the Patriots’ situation on ESPN. Now he will do it for Belichick.

“It will be interesting and I’m sure there will be a lot of discussion on it,” Reese said. “I’ve always been one of those who has said that if you think you have two quarterbacks you probably don’t have one.

“But this is a situation where having two quarterbacks may very well be true. That will be something that we’ll have to sit down and work out and I’m sure there will be a lot of discussion back and forth.”

Yet ultimately, Reese is happy to be off the air and back in the game.

“It’s interesting because working for ESPN, the ESPN people were very good to me,” Reese said. “But when you would get away with a former player or someone involved with the NFL, you’d say that the people [at ESPN] were very nice and that they treat you great, but then you would always finish with the line, ‘but, it’s not the NFL.’

“I’ve spent my entire adult life in the NFL. I started coaching in the NFL when I was 24. I have done everything and this is my life. If there’s anything I do know, it’s the NFL. The ability to get back and get back in this position is a thrill.”

NFL.com Blogs Adam Schefter

Some were and are good players but half of those players kinda just .. well stink.. Most are #1 picks that never lived up to potential and were barely starters on teams.

Samarai Rolle - remember for his name than play.. Never mind the injuries he's had
Carlos Hall - JAG

Dyson was a good player, but the truly damning point here is that he is the one WR who was drafted before Randy Moss. To be fair, there were character issues surrounding Moss at the time, so you can't crucify Reese for both drafting Jones and not drafting Moss, but still. We're talking about Randy Moss here.
Rolle was a good player for a lot of years. He got injured a lot later on, but I'm not going to hold that against the guy that drafted him.
McCareins, Holmes, and Hall all turned into decent players. I don't think that Reese coming to town completely changes how everything works, but he doesn't have to. He's a guy with a lot of experience and demonstrated talent who Belichick appears to trust. That's good enough for me.

Carlos Hall - JAG
Rolle made a Pro Bowl. McCareins is now back with the Titans. Kenny Holmes wasn't a great player, but he did have 38.5 sacks for his career and was a major part of the Titans 1999 Super Bowl defense. Carlos Hall may be a "JAG" (I guess) but he did have 8 sacks as a rookie on the Titans 2002 #1 seeded team. Not bad for a 7th round pick.

J D Sal

I look at this as another set of eyes - and that Caserio, knowing exactly what sort of a player BB is looking for, has the confidence of the coach.

Didn't he also put them in 'salary cap hell' a couple of years ago? Don't get me wrong, I am sure BB made the call on this one after he met with Reese a week ago anf felt that he could obviously help - not hurt.

Every team eventually goes over the salary cap. The Titans had one or two years where they were over the cap but didn't have to cut too many starters. Their only signifigant loses were Derrick Mason and Jevon Kearse. Overall, Reese did a very good job. However, I'm not just saying that because he's now a Patriot. He's one of the only commentator's on ESPN that I enjoy listening too because he was an actual GM. Check it out for yourself, during Reese's tenure, he put together many good teams by drafting young players.

Last edited:

Also, he drafted three ROYs: Eddie George, Javon Kearse, and Vince Young
haha... clearly a ringing endorsement right there... Young will never start another game.

Belichick said on more than one occasion that Reese made his job tougher because they both go for the same type player.

Every team eventually goes over the salary cap. The Titans had one or two years where they were over the cap but didn't have to cut too many starters. Their only signifigant loses were Derrick Mason and Jevon Kearse. Overall, Reese did a very good job. However, I'm not just saying that because he's now a Patriot. He's one of the only commentator's on ESPN that I enjoy listening too because he was an actual GM. Check it out for yourself, during Reese's tenure, he put together many good teams by drafting young players.

True, most Titans fans forget what he gave them and only remember 04-05 when they went 4-12 and 5-11.

I like the hiring of Reese. when ever he was on ESPN. I listened to what he had to say and most of the time I agreed with him.

Great move for Pats in my opinion.

1) Gives Caserio time to slowly take over Piolis duties without being totally overwhelmed with everything at once. (As it seems according to the reports that Reese will mainly do the contract negotiation.) I mean how does one underling (person) fill the shoes of the 2 time award winning NFL executive of the year? Answer: you don't even try right off the bat; you split up the duties into 2 jobs to allow Caserio time to develop. I mean wasn't Dimitriov (Atlanta) anyway supposidly the heir apperant last year? So then that would make Caserio 2 steps down from Piolis job in 2007?

2) Give another set of 'experienced eyes' to evalute the scouts reports and such. He has alot of years of doing talent evaluation.

3) BB will not give him final say in the draft War room. So any mistakes will be on Bills shoulders (and in Bill we trust).

I see many more upsides to this than downsides. Vast NFL personnel experience is in short supply and in heavy demand - no one is perfect but the Patriots system will utilize his expertise as well as help filter out any possible mistakes as his decisions will be screened by Bill.

Ernie Adams runs the draft war room- one of many reasons why I'm not at all worried about it.

Dyson was a good player, but the truly damning point here is that he is the one WR who was drafted before Randy Moss. To be fair, there were character issues surrounding Moss at the time, so you can't crucify Reese for both drafting Jones and not drafting Moss, but still. .

Makes you wonder if he drafted Pacman because of Randy. The mindset was probably, " hey look Randy outgrew his issues and was great on the field.I'm sure Pacman Jones will also."........Let's draft him..what's the worst that could happen????

Under the circumstances I highly doubt a better person could have been hired than Reese.

I wonder if Reese has been keeping up on the college game and it's players while out of the league? If he hasn't, he might only be useful on the biz front, at least initially.

Makes you wonder if he drafted Pacman because of Randy. The mindset was probably, " hey look Randy outgrew his issues and was great on the field.I'm sure Pacman Jones will also."........Let's draft him..what's the worst that could happen????

Good point; I was wondering the same thing, but at the time that Jones was drafted, Moss was in Oakland, wasn't he?

Stock the defense

Stock the defense

Stock the defense:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back