PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats hire Floyd Reese as Senior Football Advisor; Caserio will remain director

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats hire Reese

Outstanding addition. He was pretty much fired from the Titans for drafting Pacman Jones; meanwhile, he did such a good job with other draft picks that the team had the best record in football. Go figure ...

Pac-man's wake of destruction is epic.

This is very very very very good for us.

If you have not read "Education of a Coach" - as it should be mandatory reading for all Patsfans posters - do so soon.

He resigned (in the face of being replaced) in 2006.

Good, he'll be up to speed in no time. It's nice to see some good news.

Patriots hire Floyd Reese as senior football advisor

In his 13 seasons as the general manager of the Oilers/Titans, Reese's teams won 111 games - setting a franchise record for wins by a general manager. Houston and Tennessee won 11 or more games in a season four times during Reese's tenure as general manager while recording eight seasons with a record of .500 or better. Over a five-year period from 1999-2003, the Titans led the NFL with 56 wins, including three seasons with 12 or more victories. In 1999, the Titans claimed the AFC Championship and reached the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history, falling just a yard short of the title in Super Bowl XXXIV against the St. Louis Rams.

Reese’s positive impact is still being felt in Tennessee. The 2008 Titans earned the AFC’s top playoff seed while 16 of 22 starters on their final 2008 roster were originally acquired while Reese was general manager, including nine of 11 starters on defense. The 2008 Titans are sending six of Reese’s acquisitions to this year’s Pro Bowl - QB Kerry Collins, CB Cortland Finnegan, DT Albert Haynesworth, S Chris Hope, C Kevin Mawae and T Michael Roos.

Last edited:

Pac-man's wake of destruction is epic.

This is very very very very good for us.

If you have not read "Education of a Coach" - as it should be mandatory reading for all Patsfans posters - do so soon.

This is a really encouraging move. Reese is a very intelligent guy who is a true "football" professional. He has a lot of savvy and experience. He can continue to school Casserio on the details of FO management (cap management and personnel selection) in concert with BB. With all of our losses, it is exciting to see someone with his background come on board.

It also never ceases to amaze me how much magnetism Belichick has. It just seems like everyone who has come into contact with him has been influenced by him to such a great degree. Along with Bill Walsh, he really stands out above everyone else that I have ever seen. We are truly fortunate.

I think this is a good move. As long as he can understand what Belichick is looking for in a player and find those guys, I think he can find some real gems.

This is a very good move. Most Titan fans will tell you, that their drafts have sucked since Floyd left. He always did a god job of finding offensive, and defensive lineman late in the draft, that turned out to be good players. I like this signing.

Reese's drafts have never been that great he's maybe pulled one/two players each draft that ever amounted to anything.
2006.... well LenDale White may turnout to be a running back if he stops eating. Vince Young........ sorry Bud Adams made that call.
2005... Michael Roos, David Stewart are the 2 bright spots Vincent Fuller never sees much action besides in Nickel or Special Teams.
2004... none of them are with Tennessee any longer.
2003. Woolfolk was a pure bust, all the rest are gone except Donnie Nickey he's reserve corner but is a good ST player.
2002 Haynesworth nuff said.

This is a very good move. Most Titan fans will tell you, that their drafts have sucked since Floyd left. He always did a god job of finding offensive, and defensive lineman late in the draft, that turned out to be good players. I like this signing.

Agree. Reese may have drafted Pacman in 2005, but he also drafted LT Michael Roos from Eastern Washington with the 41st pick and RT David Stewart from Mississippi State with #113 in the 4th round. Maybe he can help identify some mid-round OL talent for us. 2005 was probably the weakest draft of the decade. He also found CB Cortland Finnegan from Samford in the 7th round of the 2006 draft. So he certainly seems to be able to pull gems out of a haystack instead of needles.

I would say that the Titans don't seem to have totally "sucked" since Reese left. Michael Griffen in 2007 and Chris Johnson in 2008 have both been excellent mid-late 1st round picks, as well as Jason Jones in the 2nd. But Reese really excelled at finding those small school gems.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum about this hire. Of course BB and the pats know him better but on the surface this move actually looks poor to average.

Went to NFL.com NFL Draft History: Full Draft - by Team
and a quick glance shows me his picks were not the best, actually they were pretty bad. From 1995 not sure if he ran the 94 draft, up until 2005 (2006 the owner wanted Vince young so I won't hold that against him) he picked some really bad players who failed because of injury concerns and/or attitude problems.

We know Pacman but boy look at some of the guys he draft, especially at CB.. They were pretty much failures..

And then the article someone post about their salary cap.. Reminds me of the cowboys and 49ers, mortgaging the future.. Not something the pats do..

Time will tell but this off season has been rough so far..

Interesting,thanks! What's that saying? "When one door closes another one opens" or something? He sounds like a good signing! Good ol' BB-the gift that just keeps on giving :)

The guy who drafted PacMan and Vince Young and couldn't get a job for 2 years? Ugggh. Even if Young isn't his fault color me ... skeptical. Thankfully he'll be under the watchful eye of BB.

this is excellent news. didnt reese draft albert haynsworth also? i feel a lot better now than i did a week ago.

Last edited:

THis sounds like great news. The Oilers/Titans had some pretty good years between 1990 and present while he was working there. Some realy good picks during his time too.

I think one key to this move is someone who was a peer to BB at one point and a long time GM should be able to stand up to BB if needed. One aspect that we have mentioned that will be missed with Pioli leaving is that Pioli had veto power over a player something that might be tough for Caserio to do with his limited experience.

Yeah. With that melt-down 3 years ago and the two blown high picks -- Young and Jones -- it's no wonder the Titans did so badly this year.

Oh, wait ...

Well, regardless of how much you support the guy you have to admit that they did well after shelving 2 of his high draft picks.

Reese's greatest value to the team may be that he is an

experienced contract negotiator.

Exactly, some people are making it out to seem like Reese will be drafting all the players on his own.

I have to believe that's the role he'll take, along with cap management. As far as I can tell he just doesn't seem to draft Patriots type players, and we already have the scouting system set up to do exactly that, with Caserio at the head of it.

Well, regardless of how much you support the guy you have to admit that they did well after shelving 2 of his high draft picks.

That's looking at things in a vacuum. Yeah, that's a true statement but the fact that the 2008 Titans earned the AFC’s top playoff seed while 16 of 22 starters on their final 2008 roster were originally acquired while Reese was general manager, including nine of 11 starters on defense is more indicative of him as a talent evaluator than the two strikeouts he had with Young and Jones.

Good hiring by the Pats.

Some of the names that stood out to me that he has Drafted Since 95. And this was just a quick look

Steve McNair
Eddie George
Jon Runyan
Kenny Holmes
Derrick Mason
Kevin Dyson
Samarai Rolle
Benji Olsen
Jevon Kearse
John Thorton
Zack Piller (I believe he is the one in the Pats DVD freaking out about the cold in the Titans 5 degree game)
Keith Bullock
Robaire Smith
Justin Macereins
Hanesworth
Justin Hartwig
Carlos Hall

I'll stop there as we are getting into the more recent Drafts and you guys can remember those better.

Some guys on my list were not pro bowler but solid players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes