PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have re-signed Vince Wilfork - 5 years, $40M ($25 GTD) [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilkfork DID NOT screw up on the first play...that is pure GARBAGE...revisionist history is moronic

To be fair (if we are talking about Rice TD ravens game), I don't know if he screwed up but he wasn't a reliable cog on that play. Box had a breakdown somewhere about it. He got put on his butt , but I give him a pass due to the whole missing the last 3 games with his injury and all. He got doubled but a healthy Vince holds his ground better there IMO.

Wilfork is now the highest paid 3-4 nose tackle in the history of the NFL. 5 years, $40 million deal including an $18 million signing bonus and $25 million guaranteed.

Somehow this fact will be overlooked again and again as the media and fans of other teams (and even some of our players) recite the same old BS about how the Patriots don't pay. To them I offer the one finger salute. This is a great step in keeping the core of the team together and now need to sign a few more of our own (Bodden, Faulk) and then add some complementary pieces. If we draft well this year, we're looking alot better than we did about 2 months ago.

Brady gets the first season back out of the way and returns closer to who he was in '07, Mayo comes back to full health, all the '09 rookies with a year of experience, hopefully we see great (or even just good) things from McKenzie and maybe Tate. And as of now 4 picks in the top 53. :rocker:

Terrific. Great fit with the Pats system. Good guy, hard worker, versatile.
Solves a big problem, and frees the Pats to focus elsewhere in the draft.

To be fair (if we are talking about Rice TD ravens game), I don't know if he screwed up but he wasn't a reliable cog on that play. Box had a breakdown somewhere about it. He got put on his butt , but I give him a pass due to the whole missing the last 3 games with his injury and all. He got doubled but a healthy Vince holds his ground better there IMO.

I was at the game ..and up close...I saw the play in real time and the replay..Wilfork engaged his blockers and a LB overan the B gap letting Rice burst through

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- For most of his long coaching career, Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron has called the same running play with which he opened his team's AFC wild-card game against the New England Patriots on Sunday.

But never before had the basic play over the right side -- "Slow-2, Fast Through" -- been executed to such stunning effect.

Tailback Ray Rice turned that aptly named call on the first play from scrimmage into an 83-yard scoring sprint. His score just 17 seconds into the game set the tone for the Ravens' stunning 33-14 manhandling of the Patriots.

These anti-Patriot "Patriot" fans invent whatever they want to buttress their over the top hatred of our players and coaches...enough of this crap

I was at the game ..and up close...I saw the play in real time and the replay..Wilfork engaged his blockers and a LB overan the B gap letting Rice burst through

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- For most of his long coaching career, Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron has called the same running play with which he opened his team's AFC wild-card game against the New England Patriots on Sunday.

But never before had the basic play over the right side -- "Slow-2, Fast Through" -- been executed to such stunning effect.

Tailback Ray Rice turned that aptly named call on the first play from scrimmage into an 83-yard scoring sprint. His score just 17 seconds into the game set the tone for the Ravens' stunning 33-14 manhandling of the Patriots.

These anti-Patriot "Patriot" fans invent whatever they want to buttress their over the top hatred of our players and coaches...enough of this crap

YouTube - Baltimore Ravens vs New England Patriots 33-14 // NFL HIGHLIGHTS - Playoffs-wild card

Again im a diehard life long pats fan but isn't that our star DT getting pancaked on the first play of the game? Again im a supporter of him getting a long term deal but I'd rather them have been aggressive getting a playmaking LB such as Dansby in addition to tying up Big Vince long term

Last edited:
YouTube - Baltimore Ravens vs New England Patriots 33-14 // NFL HIGHLIGHTS - Playoffs-wild card

Again im a diehard life long pats fan but isn't that our star DT getting pancaked on the first play of the game? Again im a supporter of him getting a long term deal but I'd rather them have been aggressive getting a playmaking LB such as Dansby in addition to tying up Big Vince long term

Nope, looks to me like a linebacker whiffed hard on his assignment. Wilfork definitely didn't get pancaked.

Jeff Saterday AFC Chmpionship game 2006.the winning TD i think. The point is he does sometimes, thats all

Fair enough, definitely wasn't trying to claim that it's never happened. If we have to go back to 2006, though, then that just makes the point itself. Vince doesn't get blown off the LOS.

Last edited:

Again im a diehard life long pats fan but isn't that our star DT getting pancaked on the first play of the game?

what does that have to do with Rice hitting the B gap, blowing past the LB'ers AND the secondary safeties? What are you, totally devoid of any sense of the game whatsoever? That was an EIGHTY THREE YARD RUN!!!! You blame Wilfork, because he occupied the blockers at the A gap and got knocked over??? How the hell does he make THAT play when the gap responsibility had NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM???

NEW NUTBAG PATFAN RULE....all players who get taken out of a play while manning their position will be castigated and blamed for years after for not manning every gap along the line simultaneously and not stopping any running back that breaks through an open hole that should be plugged by a linebacker

It's an important move... not to be downcast but essentially we've stayed static. Team is not getting worse is what this move means.

Same thing with TBC (who I doubt will match his 09 production)

what does that have to do with Rice hitting the B gap, blowing past the LB'ers AND the secondary safeties? What are you, totally devoid of any sense of the game whatsoever? That was an EIGHTY THREE YARD RUN!!!! You blame Wilfork, because he occupied the blockers at the A gap and got knocked over??? How the hell does he make THAT play when the gap responsibility had NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM???

NEW NUTBAG PATFAN RULE....all players who get taken out of a play while manning their position will be castigated and blamed for years after for not manning every gap along the line simultaneously and not stopping any running back that breaks through an open hole that should be plugged by a linebacker

your right dumb dum bc someone doesn't sit here and post all day but anyways rice hit the A gap. A gap is right where the hash is and where vince got washed down...the play wasn't designed to even go there Rice cut into the hole. I think getting washed down isn't exactly gap responsbility nor is it controlling 2 release...again i like vince and I wasnt posting the video as an example of what he normally does or anything bc the guy is a beast. He's just not quite as much of a force as K.Jenkins (at least when he plays us it seems)

Last edited:
Nope, looks to me like a linebacker whiffed hard on his assignment. Wilfork definitely didn't get pancaked.

Wilfork has a lot of blame on that play, watch it in slow motion from :14 to :16. A healthy Vince normally holds his ground there. That play is on Vince and Mayo mainly. I'll give VW the benefit of the doubt in that he was impacted by his injury and missing the last 3 games of the season.

pats are surprisingly spending a lot of money this offseason so far, between tully, wilfork, neal, and proably bodden, but still have a lot of needs to be filled. they probably won't go after high profile players but there are a few lower levels players I think they should definately consider that fit the team well.
-Chris Gocong, LB: A good young outside linebacker who would fit the patriots system better than the eagles and also can bring good leadership qualities to this defense.
-Dwan Edwards, DE: They need a DE to replace seymour, mike wright isn't the answer, and I'm not sure if ron brace is ready yet. Edwards has a great defensive background with the ravens. he's been productive for the past few seasons. He's not seymour, but let's face it we're not gonna find another seymour in this free agent class. Edwards would be a solid addition.
-Lavernues Coles, WR: He didn't have a great year in Cincinnati, but he just didn't fit their team. He is a possession receiver and would fit in really well across from moss.

I'd like to see them draft jermaine gresham over trading for greg olsen because gresham can develop into a much better blocker and become a more complete and better player down the road.

Last edited:
pats are surprisingly spending a lot of money this offseason so far, between tully, wilfork, neal, and proably bodden, but still have a lot of needs to be filled. they probably won't go after high profile players but there are a few lower levels players I think they should definately consider that fit the team well.
-Chris Gocong, LB: A good young outside linebacker who would fit the patriots system better than the eagles and also can bring good leadership qualities to this defense.
-Dwan Edwards, DE: They need a DE to replace seymour, mike wright isn't the answer, and I'm not sure if ron brace is ready yet. Edwards has a great defensive background with the ravens. he's been productive for the past few seasons. He's not seymour, but let's face it we're not gonna find another seymour in this free agent class. Edwards would be a solid addition.
-Lavernues Coles, WR: He didn't have a great year in Cincinnati, but he just didn't fit their team. He is a possession receiver and would fit in really well across from moss.

I'd like to see them draft jermaine gresham over trading for greg olsen because gresham can develop into a much better blocker and become a more complete and better player down the road.

If they keep this up, we'll be able to hear about how cheap they are in 3 years when "money paid" is low because they paid out so many bonuses this year ;)

"Thanks to everyone who supported us during our time here in New England it has ment a great deal to us...." - wilfork75 on twitter

Deal done, per numerous twitter sources

Great news. Vince is the man.

Vince did the honorable thing by playing out his rookie deal and deserves the contract the Pats gave him. Let's hope this is the first move of many that will begin to put the Patriots back on top.

So Vince got the biggest contract ever for the position, got more than Hampton, got more than $7 million per year, got the long-term security a player likes to have, and got a hell of a lot more than just franchise value up front. Now, perhaps, the more rabid homers will finally start to understand why the franchise tag was a potential problem moving forward if the team hadn't worked out a deal.

Congrats, Vince, you've earned the coin. Now go out there and keep earning it, every day.

Re: Rap: Pats re-sign wilfork

Great move. Now they need to find some good role players for depth via FA and concentrate on the draft.

Oh yeah, let's sign Bodden.

I'm glad Vince got his coin the man truly deserved everything he got. With vinces contract out of the way, I hope they turn to bodden and lock him up long term. I'm really interested in restricted fa Kirk Morrison MLB from Oakland, guys a tackling machine and is tendered with a 3rd round pick I believe.

This is a good way for us to start FA. Now we just need 23/33 resigned and we can move on to maybe snagging a receiver and making preparations for the draft.

Glad to see Vince signed to a long term deal along with Banta-Cain and Neal. Nice moves to take care of some of the core players.

Re: Pats have re-signed Vince Wilfork [mergedx2]

I'm sorry that i dont buy into the whole notion that this move coupled with resigning Tully makes our team any better. There are numerous 1 techniques around the league who can get double teamed and blown back onto the toes of the LB's. I guess we couldn't sign some of the other FA's out there bc we had to stay under the Salary Cap...
News bulletin, in the NFL, everyone stays under the salary cap there poncho. Sky Is Falling . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye