PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have re-signed Vince Wilfork - 5 years, $40M ($25 GTD) [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bodden's position will be "fair" at around 6-8 mill/per, IMO. As we know, corners are paid more per average, and guys like Kelvin Hayden and Chris Gamble are making 9 million/per.

I'd hope we're at least starting the negotiations with Bodden at 6-7 mill/per, because it we're not, someone else will surely pay. Just last year you had guys like Foxworth, Greer, etc, making 7 mill/per. Bodden is certainly worth at least the same if not more, IMO.

Hope you're right, and they end up locking him in at around 6, that'd be great.

Hopefully the rest of the league (like some posters around here) didn't realize quite how good Bodden was last year and no one will make any insane offers for "just an average" CB. I have to think that BB knows how harmful it would be to our defense to let him walk. Just hope there aren't any attitude/chemistry issues that will keep us from paying what he's worth.

Wooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great day! My favorite Patriot! Now my Wilfork jersey can stay current for some more years....
:singing:

OH ******* SNAP

High fives all around!
highfive.gif

You suggested we don't sign FA and said you weren't pleased about the Wilfork signing

There is definitely something wrong with you

What do those have in common? Both are big money contracts. I don't think we should pay huge money and 8M per year for a guy who gets blown back on runs up the middle is a lot. He was going to play this year for 7M withoutu any long term injury risk. They should have kept him on that and traded him next year or just traded him this year was my point.

True but the thing is, and I could be wrong, but Haynesworth is the only recent elite DT signing I've seen in this offseason or last. I'm not sure when the other top DT's signed their deals. The market changes every year and the standard keeps rising. A player like Wilfork could have easily attracted more money somewhere else I'd bet.

I am sure you are right, I bet someone would've offered him close to 10 per, but in his particular situation of being franchised with the possibility of a lockout next yr, I think this was fair for both sides.

In other words, I agree it could be perceived as a hometown discount on some level--but it's not like he was a unrestricted FA either. If that were the case and he took this deal, I'd be really impressed.

Considering his circumstances, I think he got paid fairly, making him the 2nd highest DT in the league right now. But you're still correct I would imagine.

I guess Belichick "woke up" and drugged Mr. Kraft who would have obviously been "too cheap" to "take care of their own" had he known what was going on

SanAngeloState, aren't you the same guy that came into the chat room during the playoffs and rode the Jets balls for 20 minutes, even going as far as to describe Sanchez's AFC Championship Game performance as "heroic"?

The answer to this question is 'yes', btw.

SanAngeloState, aren't you the same guy that came into the chat room during the playoffs and rode the Jets balls for 20 minutes, even going as far as to describe Sanchez's AFC Championship Game performance as "heroic"?

The answer to this question is 'yes', btw.

Might have been me, not sure. I was rooting for the Jets in the champ. game. That much is true. Wasn't "riding their balls" though...iti would be nice to have a team advance far into the playoffs instead of getting blown out in the first game with the first play being a run right over the middle of our now $40M boy. Which is one of the reasons I thought we should just get rid of him and go 4-3...that and the huge contract.

Very good news, congrats Vince, nice job Pats.

Hopefully the rest of the league (like some posters around here) didn't realize quite how good Bodden was last year and no one will make any insane offers for "just an average" CB. I have to think that BB knows how harmful it would be to our defense to let him walk. Just hope there aren't any attitude/chemistry issues that will keep us from paying what he's worth.

I certainly hope he remains here. It would take a position that we need to simply add to, and take all of the progress away if he left. I would think he'd have to be the next priority after VW now, but it sounds like he wants to test the waters and shop around.

I have a bad feeling about this, and I think someone else is going to overpay for him. I wish it wouldn't have come down to letting him actually test the waters, but I guess we'll just have to trust Belichick.

It'll hurt to see another solid CB leave though. Not to mention, it'll really set us back at the position. Looks like we could use another draft pick in April on a corner. I'd be very happy if he stayed, as Butler and Springs are at least servicable with him here. It'll be a lot of uncertainty at the CB position without Leigh Bodden, IMO.

Right on; I'm not Wilfork's biggest fan, but he's a very good player and for that money, I like the deal. Happy for him, too, he seems like a good guy.

When's the last time Wilfork got blown off the line of scrimmage? I know I can't remember it; in the Ravens game, he got beaten off the line of scrimmage when he was triple teamed that one time, but even then he wasn't blown up by a long shot.

Last edited:
When's the last time Wilfork got blown off the line of scrimmage? I know I can't remember it; in the Ravens game, he got beaten off the line of scrimmage when he was triple teamed that one time, but even then he wasn't blown up by a long shot.
Jeff Saterday AFC Chmpionship game 2006.the winning TD i think. The point is he does sometimes, thats all

Last edited:

I was at the game...Wilfork made a number of big stops on 1st and 2nd down...was doubled all game...these whoever the F so called Pats fans are just plain nuts...I think they're mainly Rat trolls

Might have been me, not sure. I was rooting for the Jets in the champ. game. That much is true. Wasn't "riding their balls" though...iti would be nice to have a team advance far into the playoffs instead of getting blown out in the first game with the first play being a run right over the middle of our now $40M boy. Which is one of the reasons I thought we should just get rid of him and go 4-3...that and the huge contract.

I respect your opinion and views, but Belichick has always favored a 3-4 defense, and Wilfork was a staple of that here.

I'm sure it was a lot easier to stay with what everyone knew, than to scrap everything and go 4-3. In this particular situation, I'm going to trust our coach and his established reputation.

And even IF Wilfork did blow his assignment, or get blown off with a block in the first play, it's OK with me. Everyone makes mistakes. In the big picture and the future of the defense, Wilfork was going to be a vital piece of the puzzle.

I'm pumped to hear big vince willbe around for a few more years, he is a beast in the middle (blown into the lb's every play? you been drinking?). Now we need a de/olb and resign Bodden and the d is in good shape. even without bodden, I think Butler makes a big jump, and the youngin's/Springs would be servicable. some pass rush would also help improve them...but the hell with Pepper$.

I respect your opinion and views, but Belichick has always favored a 3-4 defense, and Wilfork was a staple of that here.

I'm sure it was a lot easier to stay with what everyone knew, than to scrap everything and go 4-3. In this particular situation, I'm going to trust our coach and his established reputation.

And even IF Wilfork did blow his assignment, or get blown off with a block in the first play, it's OK with me. Everyone makes mistakes. In the big picture and the future of the defense, Wilfork was going to be a vital piece of the puzzle.

Thank you for your polite and respectful post.

Wilkfork DID NOT screw up on the first play...that is pure GARBAGE...revisionist history is moronic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back