PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have interest in Jets WR/KR Brad Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll see if I can dig it up, but someone on twitter this morning said there was nothing to this rumor.

Rappaport has said repeatedly they have no interest, none. The Bears were supposed to be frontrunners with the JETS still hoping to retain him. This is probably agent spin to try and get some additional interest or ramp up the compete level between those two.

Giants, Patriots have interest in Jets' Smith Torched us for 2 TDs on returns last year Since NY and NE are usually doing the annual player swaps each year AND since Belichick loves to get a player who has hurt his team in the past then Smith would be ideal here. We would have a great addition to the WR corps and he would be our main return man and even as a third emergency QB is Hoyer is traded. I think the Jets did not let smith show his true potential as a WR because the Jets were always focued on Keller,Holmes and Edwards. To me this is a no brainer to sign him if the Giants don't...this guy would be a tremendous addition to the offense and STs

Need to keep up in a compressed format. This was yesterday's spin and second and third hand in a blurb from the freakin' NY Post...

Why? We go through this fairly regularly. Other teams make big, quick splashes and the pats are more deliberate. It has worked out pretty well so far.

Too be honest, I think it goes both ways. Sure its great to hear your team going after all these top free agents and such but when it comes down to it nothing matters until September rolls around and games are played. On the other hand this team is coming off of two embarrassing playoff losses at home and the Jets have been in back to back AFC championship games and are still looking to add impact players. Too say "it has worked out pretty well so far" is a little homeristic imo, its not 2005 anymore.

Too be honest, I think it goes both ways. Sure its great to hear your team going after all these top free agents and such but when it comes down to it nothing matters until September rolls around and games are played. On the other hand this team is coming off of two embarrassing playoff losses at home and the Jets have been in back to back AFC championship games and are still looking to add impact players. Too say "it has worked out pretty well so far" is a little homeristic imo, its not 2005 anymore.

More to the point this team keeps things quiet. What was the last move this team made that was leaked or people knew was coming? There is a lot we don't know about going on behind the scenes and as is normal they are letting things play out. Many teams haven't made their cap cuts yet either. Players will be there and this team will make moves.

More to the point this team keeps things quiet. What was the last move this team made that was leaked or people knew was coming? There is a lot we don't know about going on behind the scenes and as is normal they are letting things play out. Many teams haven't made their cap cuts yet either. Players will be there and this team will make moves.

Lately moves have been from LATE in FA and more blue collar players than flashy ones.

I think the Adalius Thomas Fiasco really scared Belichick into going head first into the FA pool

Bill will wait for the hysteria to diminish. The Panthers have led the way in overpaying out of some sense of desperation. They even just way overpaid for a lousy kicker in Mare... Richardson as head of the compensation committee must have been a no brainer...:rolleyes: Musta taken some hits as a player.

Lately moves have been from LATE in FA and more blue collar players than flashy ones.

I think the Adalius Thomas Fiasco really scared Belichick into going head first into the FA pool

There is something to this I believe. I wonder if BB hasn't looked at building a team the way has built his staff. He wants people to earn their way up the ladder and learn in his system with few outsiders save for those who are proven workers like a Welker, undrafted kid who became a weapon in the league.

I would actually like this move, assuming that he didn't cost too much. I'd be interested in seeing if Brady could get anything out of him as a WR. It's starting to look like we may be looking for a dedicated KR for the first time in a while, between Smith and the Ross signing.

Bill will wait for the hysteria to diminish. The Panthers have led the way in overpaying out of some sense of desperation. They even just way overpaid for a lousy kicker in Mare... Richardson as head of the compensation committee must have been a no brainer...:rolleyes: Musta taken some hits as a player.

After seeing the contract that the Chargers just gave Weddle, I'm even more glad that the Pats aren't engaging in this. Some teams will improve themselves significantly in the next few days. A lot more teams will cripple themselves.

Last edited:
what has julian edelman ever done to suggest hes better than brad smith. i like edelman, but he has not been as good as smith, and it hasnt even been close

The two years Edelman has been in the NFL:

Smiith Receiving: 11 for 107

Edelman Receiving: 44 for 445

*****Add to that, for those two years Smith has been on the active roster for 29 games and Edelman has been active roster for three less due to injury.

Edelman also is under a contract that pays several million less than whatever Smith would command, is younger and actually has two years of experience/chemistry with Brady.

Why would ANYONE want to commit cap space to Smith at that position when there are more pressing areas of need (OLB, Center) for the Patriots???????

Last edited:
chad-johnson.jpg

is the the WR not BS i mean Brad Smith:cool:

Last edited:
Bills have signed Smith to a 4 year $15mill contract!

Per Schefter!

Bills have signed Smith to a 4 year $15mill contract!

Per Schefter!

Came in here to post this. Kind of glad we didn't throw money at him. We have special teams guys and we need someone to catch passes, not punts.

of all the teams that could have really used Smith, I don't think Buffalo was one of them. Roscoe Parrish didn't do them a heck of a lot of good.

Smith made no sense anyway.

NE has plenty of KRs and PRs.

It would seem to me that having him at KR would mean either that Tate is done or that the team feels Tate needs to focus only on WR.

Funny, I was just thinking. If the Pats plan to trade Tate for Ochocinco, this would explain their interest in Brad Smith all of a sudden. They know they're gonna be in the market for a kick returner.

You don't want Smith as a wide receiver--he is average at best. He is great for special teams, trick plays, etc. A real valuable cog in the machine but not worth spending a fortune on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back