PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have decent shot at #1 Scoring D in NFL this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Number one in AFC and bunched together with the best NFC teams. Pats are 4 in NFL but only 10 more points given up than number 1.

And another thread where this stat is gonna be beat to death...

Number 1 scoring D is number 1 D

Actually they are #3, 5 behind #2 and 10 behind #1

Belichick gave up 3 points yesterday instead of accepting a penalty which would have pushed the Jets out of FG range but would have also given them 3rd and long. He didn't trust the defense to not give up the first down on third and long. That, along with the fact that they're still shuffling personnel in late November at every level of the unit, should tell you how the man himself feels about his defense. That's to say nothing about the packages he's using on passing situations to mask the weaknesses he sees. It's great that they tighten up in the red zone, but this is not the best defense in the NFL. It's somewhere in between the unit we saw get **** on by Seattle and the unit that shut out Houston. Why people are wasting so much energy trying to convince people that this is a great defense is beyond me. Just enjoy the ride and hope that they don't run into a situation where they're protecting a 1-2 point lead in the waning moments of a playoff game.

Belichick gave up 3 points yesterday instead of accepting a penalty which would have pushed the Jets out of FG range but would have also given them 3rd and long. He didn't trust the defense to not give up the first down on third and long. That, along with the fact that they're still shuffling personnel in late November at every level of the unit, should tell you how the man himself feels about his defense. That's to say nothing about the packages he's using on passing situations to mask the weaknesses he sees. It's great that they tighten up in the red zone, but this is not the best defense in the NFL. It's somewhere in between the unit we saw get **** on by Seattle and the unit that shut out Houston. Why people are wasting so much energy trying to convince people that this is a great defense is beyond me. Just enjoy the ride and hope that they don't run into a situation where they're protecting a 1-2 point lead in the waning moments of a playoff game.
That's just not accurate. It was a 51 yard FG by a guy who hadn't made a 50 yarder all season. That's not giving up 3 points. It was hardly automatic.

I mean, it's one thing to argue that the defense Isn't Bad.....

But to actually attempt to argue they are the best in the NFL makes you look so foolish... HOLY hell

THEY HAD LITERALLY ZERO PRESSURE ON FITZY

forget sacks, they had ZERO hurries. ZERO HURRIES until the very last play...

You realize that's a problem, right?

Good post however making the kicker boot one from 51 outdoors is not the worst decision.

So they had 1?

1 != literally zero. :)

Either way its very very difficult to evaluate the defense this year. I only see one really poor performance on the year, but at the same time it was against the only real good qb we faced all year.

Middle of the pack defense. Still can't get pressure. Give them credit for making the stops yesterday but still a concern come the playoffs. They need gronkowski to be healthy because the offense has to be on point.

So you would rather they got pressure and allowed more points and lost the game?

Either way its very very difficult to evaluate the defense this year. I only see one really poor performance on the year, but at the same time it was against the only real good qb we faced all year.

We will see how they do against the ravens and the broncos coming up.

We played against ****ty QB's all season.

It's all about the offense this year, I expect the Patriots barring any injury in the offense to make the SB, the AFC teams present no real threat, maybe Oakland but I still think we can game plan for Carr and exploit their defense.

If we make to the SB though, it's all about the match-up, I think I'd rather face Dallas that we can try to shut down their running game than face the Giants with Beckham, Cruz and Sheppard. Eli would have a field day against this secondary without facing pressure.

We played against ****ty QB's all season.

It's all about the offense this year, I expect the Patriots barring any injury in the offense to make the SB, the AFC teams present no real threat, maybe Oakland but I still think we can game plan for Carr and exploit their defense.

If we make to the SB though, it's all about the match-up, I think I'd rather face Dallas that we can try to shut down their running game than face the Giants with Beckham, Cruz and Sheppard. Eli would have a field day against this secondary without facing pressure.

Have to be home. They need that HFA

Not for nothing but this was the second of a back to back road trip with a cross country flight and a Thanksgiving dinner between them. I expected some degree of fatigue and flatness.

If we get lit up by the Rams rookie QB (Goof or whatever the f*ck his name is) next week, I'll concede that there's a problem. Until then, the jury is still out on the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back