1 7 7 New England (SF)
2 32 63 New England
3 3* 66 New England (Oakland)
3 32 95 New England
4 31 126 New England
5 31 157 New England
6 32 189 New England
7 32 221 New England

San Diego and Baltimore lose their 4th and 5th round picks (respectiveley because they used them in the Supplemental draft).

Still they have 4 picks in the top 100, not bad.

The Pats 1st round pick was stolen by the league.

*I assumed that Oakland loses it's coin flip with Atlanta (best case for the Pats), that pick is still subject to a multi team coin flip.

Picks in rounds 4-7 will actually be higher due to the allocation of compensation picks by the league (The Pats will not get any Comp picks this year).

Assuming we lose Samuel, Gay and Wilson in Free agency, sign the rest of our FAs and Bruschi and Seau retire, how many rookies really have a shot at making our roster?

Assuming we lose Samuel, Gay and Wilson in Free agency, sign the rest of our FAs and Bruschi and Seau retire, how many rookies really have a shot at making our roster?

Not many. If we lose Seau and Bruschi, I'm sure we will sign at least one veteran fa to replace them. I think there is room for maybe 5 rookies on defense. Most in limited roles. I think there is a good chance that a rookie cb could start. I can live with a total defensive draft.

1. V.Gholston - OLB - Ohio St
2. B.Flowers - CB - VA TECH (I'd be willing to give up 2nd 3rd for a better player. Maybe a P.Lee from Auburn, Rodgers-Cromartie.)
3a T.Williams - CB - USF - Replaces R.Gay as our nickel back. I think another
team will overpay for R.Gay. Like Banta-Cain last year. Should
have no trouble getting another decent cb here.
3b ILB - I think P.Wheeler will be gone by this point. But, someone like J.Goff could still be on the board. Anyway, I think we trade this pick to move up in Round 2.
4 A.Rubin - NG - Iowa St - Backup for big Vince. Could see a developmental offensive prospect at te or ol. Hard for a rb to break our lineup unless he's a great special teams player. Probably won't be able to draft Faulk's replacement until Faulk actually retires.

Yes Pa, I think you are correct. Someone will overpay for Gay.

Last year Clements got what 25-30 million guaranteed from the 49ers? This year Trufant and Samuel are expecting more.

What does this say about the abundance of quality corners in the NFL that actually make it to FA?

I sure do hope we are not the ones that over pay for Gay.

I think it's safe to say that if we lose both Samuel and Gay that we'll sign at least one playable veteran CB. All we'd have left is Hobbs, Chad Scott and the low drafted kids like Willie Andrews and Mike Richardson at CB. A draft pick or two would be likely but a decent veteran signee would be a virtual necessity.

I think it's safe to say that if we lose both Samuel and Gay that we'll sign at least one playable veteran CB. All we'd have left is Hobbs, Chad Scott and the low drafted kids like Willie Andrews and Mike Richardson at CB. A draft pick or two would be likely but a decent veteran signee would be a virtual necessity.

We'd probably have to re-sign Wilson and use him at CB, or convert Meriweather to a full-time corner. Even "decent" vet CBs are going to get paid. Hopefully Gay can be persuaded to stay, or a wild card like Spann could get a shot. Dude OWNED NFL Europe (RIP).

We'd probably have to re-sign Wilson and use him at CB, or convert Meriweather to a full-time corner.
I doubt it. Wilson can't get on the field as a Safety and as a CB I think Meriweather would make a real good Safety.

We may not like the name(s) but Pioli will find a couple of usable CB for a reasonable price once all the more highly desired ones are gone. Then we'll draft a couple and hope they are ready quickly.

Last edited:
I don't think the Pats can afford to let Blue Gay go at this stage of the Game. Not many moons ago his rookie year Blue Gay played half the year in the Starting line-up after TY Law went down. Also that same year he Started in the SB vs the Eagles. Put Blue Gay behind a Great Front 7 and he will look like a Good player. Losing both him and Samuel will not be beneficial for our Pats. I don't expect both Hobbs and Blue Gay to be Great minus Samuel in 2008 but with a Great Front 7 it won't be a train wreck out there either. There will be some quality vets available in FA and possibly in a Trade...guys who could give you close to Samuel type production and play. Both Hobbs and Blue Gay are young and still have upsides to their games. The last Time Blue Gay was healthy for a full year we won a SB...go figure.:cool:

Last edited:
I don't think the Pats can afford to let Blue Gay go at this stage of the Game. Not many moons ago his rookie year Blue Gay played half the year in the Starting line-up after TY Law went down. Also that same year he Started in the SB vs the Eagles. Put Blue Gay behind a Great Front 7 and he will look like a Good player. Losing both him and Samuel will not be beneficial for our Pats. I don't expect both Hobbs and Blue Gay to be Great minus Samuel in 2008 but with a Great Front 7 it won't be a train wreck out there either. There will be some quality vets available in FA and possibly in a Trade...guys who could give you close to Samuel type production and play. Both Hobbs and Blue Gay are young and still have upsides to their games. The last Time Blue Gay was healthy for a full year we won a SB...go figure.:cool:[/QUOTE
I was quite disappointed with Gay this year. I thought that he gave up too large a cushion to the wide receivers. I don't think our defensive front seven can rush the passer well enough to cover for a cornerback duo of Gay and Hobbs. I frankly hope the Pats open their wallet for Asante Samuel and treat him like Richard Seymour. He is now an All Pro. If it is impossible
to re-sign Samuel, they will have to show the money to get a good cornerback. I hope the Pats don't rely on Duane Starks,
Eric Warfield, and Tory James types. I also would like to see the Pats draft and develop a couple of cornerbacks

Last edited:
I was quite disappointed with Gay this year. I thought that he gave up too large a cushion to the wide receivers. I don't think our defensive front seven can rush the passer well enough to cover for a cornerback duo of Gay and Hobbs. I frankly hope the Pats open their wallet for Asante Samuel and treat him like Richard Seymour. He is now an All Pro. If it is impossible to re-sign Samuel, they will have to show the money to get a good cornerback. I hope the Pats don't rely on Duane Starks,
Eric Warfield, and Tory James types. I also would like to see the Pats draft and develop a couple of cornerbacks.

I would love to see cash money Asante back too but i don't think we'll offer enough to suit his needs. He has Two SB rings already and possibly Three after Sunday. It's all about the money for Asante now and rightfully so. To Compensate for both Hobbs and Blue Gay in 2008 we'll need an Attacking style Front 7. Similarly to Pittsburgh's who never had Great CB's they made for it with their Attacking style Front 7. It can be done when if we don't have the luxury of CB's like TY Law and Asante Samuel. Hey we can't resign everybody...but i would prefer signing Randy Moss over Cash Money Samuel's 9 times out of 10.

Last edited:
Round Pick Overall Selection
1 7 7 New England (SF)
2 32 63 New England = Pick is like a 3rd Rounder.
3 3* 66 New England (Oakland)
3 32 95 New England
4 31 126 New England
5 31 157 New England
6 32 189 New England
7 32 221 New England

The only pick i am too thrilled about for us on Day 1 is #63 in the Second. I think some really great value in this Draft in the 40's...63 is a little bit too far for me. And our 3rd Rounders especially that High Raider 3rd could be a Great Trade-up cog with #63. That's if a player we covet is still on the Board.

Last edited:
The only pick i am too thrilled about for us on Day 1 is #63 in the Second. I think some really great value in this Draft in the 40's...63 is a little bit too far for me. And our 3rd Rounders especially that High Raider 3rd could be a Great Trade-up cog with #63. That's if a player we covet is still on the Board.

I'm not seeing anyone at #7 that I think will be worth it, I'd like to see the Pats trade down, I highly doubt they would do it, but Dallas has picks 22 and 28. According to the infamous "trade vaule chart"

7-1500
22-780
28-660

So according to that, it would be a very fair trade.

All of them.

We need fresh blood at SS and FS; 2 CBs; 2 ILBs; one OLB; and one pass-rush DE.

That's eight, and that's just for defense.

Could Lua be one of those ILBs or is that wishful thinking?

Could Lua be one of those ILBs or is that wishful thinking?

yes and yes. No one expects Lua to be starting at any point this coming year, but the potential is there

yes and yes. No one expects Lua to be starting at any point this coming year, but the potential is there

I was wondering about Lua. Everybody sees him as an UDFA, but if he came out as a Junior, or didn't lose his starting job to Maualuga as a Senior, would he not have been drafted? At least fourth round?

The 2nd round pick will the 62nd, not 63rd.

Rd 1 1-31
Rd 2 32-63

And why Pats are selecting 31 in certain rounds and 32 in others? It should be 31.

I'm not seeing anyone at #7 that I think will be worth it, I'd like to see the Pats trade down, I highly doubt they would do it, but Dallas has picks 22 and 28. According to the infamous "trade vaule chart"

7-1500
22-780
28-660

So according to that, it would be a very fair trade.

Pats could even get something more (like a 3rd or 4th rounder) in that deal.

All of them.

We need fresh blood at SS and FS; 2 CBs; 2 ILBs; one OLB; and one pass-rush DE.

That's eight, and that's just for defense.

you forget we have brian merriweather for FS, ss we have james sanders, but the rest i agree, i wanna see a tall athletic CB if samuels leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes