PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have 1 empty roster slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. We need 1-3 OL's.

The relevance of Koppen coming back instead of going on IR is that we will likely reserve a roster spot for Koppen. If this is the case, my personal choice would be to carry 10 OL's.

MG - There are only 52 people on the roster right now. What does that have to do with Koppen being ready in 6-10 weeks?

Right now, the Pats have 8 O-line on the roster, but only 5 healthy. Koppen, Wendell and Vollmer are all battling injuries. The Pats need a minimum of 2 extra O-linemen UNLESS Wendell and Vollmer are healthy to return. Please go back and read the 4 different options and you'll see that I accounted for the possibilities as of right now.

Last edited:
It SHOULD be 2 if BB dumps an injured Koppen (and later resigns the guy)

Koppen would make $$$ if dropped. This move make more sense...

Welsh is gone and add Koppen to the GONE list. That would be 2 spots open for 6-8 weeks :) we could pursue Sharper

The Patriots can not cut Koppen. He was hurt during normal football activities. The Patriots can either keep him on the active 53 man roster while keeping him inactive for the next couple of months OR place him on Injured Reserve. If he is placed on IR, there is a new spot on the 53 man roster.

Those are the options that the Patriots have with Koppen.

Welsh is gone and add Koppen to the GONE list. That would be 2 spots open for 6-8 weeks :) we could pursue Sharper

Please just stop with this.

Is Koppen taking up a roster spot for 10 weeks a good idea? BB may carry him for awhile, but if injuries start piling up, Dan may be an IR casualty...JMHO ;)

BTW...Cannon is also my binkie....

Get healthy soon Marcus...The OL could use you....

While I don't think you would find a lot of argument on the fact that Koppen isn't the greatest center in the NFL these days, calling for him to be cut is just ridiculous. We are already thin at the position. Do you really think you can just pick up a center and have him know all about the Patriots offense on day 1?

You might consider that there is a reason Brady insists on playing with Koppen. He really needs someone at center he feels comfortable with. Koppen is Brady's "binky". Koppen may not personally have the best stats but if his presence improves Brady's confidence, that has to be worth something.

If this injury happened at a different point in time, where an off-season would exist for a 'new guy' to gain a comfort level, maybe. But mid-season? Not happening.

Who has many years experience in the Pats system and has the possibility to back up at both OG and OT? Who was also offered an oppurtunity to stay with the team if he would take a pay cut? Who is also still available as a free agent and should now sign at a cheaper, nonfully guarenteed contract now that week one is gone? The option may not be popular but Kaczur would be the only player available who has the familiarity to step in seamlesly as a back up at both OG and OT for the next 5 to 8 weeks till both Vollmer and Cannon are hopefully ready to make a difference on this team. I would not be supprised to see him signed wed. to fill the open roster spot. Probibly in the team facilities working out the contract Now.

I think that Kaczur is done. We've not heard of him getting any sort of action as a free agent. Not from anyone,

While I don't think you would find a lot of argument on the fact that Koppen isn't the greatest center in the NFL these days, calling for him to be cut is just ridiculous. We are already thin at the position. Do you really think you can just pick up a center and have him know all about the Patriots offense on day 1?

You might consider that there is a reason Brady insists on playing with Koppen. He really needs someone at center he feels comfortable with. Koppen is Brady's "binky". Koppen may not personally have the best stats but if his presence improves Brady's confidence, that has to be worth something.

Connolly stepped into the position seamlessly. I expected some kind of confusion, or at least a change in the game plan. But the transition was perfect. So I think you overestimate Koppen's worth.

That being said, I agree that wouldn't just dump him (until a suitable replacement was found).

Connolly stepped into the position seamlessly. I expected some kind of confusion, or at least a change in the game plan. But the transition was perfect. So I think you overestimate Koppen's worth.

That being said, I agree that wouldn't just dump him (until a suitable replacement was found).

I'm not overstating. I agree that the transition was seamless but it is still just 1 half of 1 game. Still, even if he gets beat out for position 1, which I wouldn't rule out, we still need him. Cutting him is ridiculous!

I think that Kaczur is done. We've not heard of him getting any sort of action as a free agent. Not from anyone,

Other options?

Remember he was offered an opurtunity to stay if he took a cut on his contract.

This can't be emphasized enough. I was very surprised at this. I was surprised at how easily Connolly handled Soliai, many times one on one.

The Pats aren't going to dump Koppen. That is just TSK's wishful thinking. Kind of like Yeatman making the Pats..

Other options?

Remember he was offered an opurtunity to stay if he took a cut on his contract.

Yes. I understand that. However, look around the league. You've not heard of one team that has brought Kaczur in for a tryout or interview. Not even teams with Former Pats Front office people like the Chiefs or Falcons. Or teams with O-line issues like Dallas.

I believe that Quinn Ojinakka is still available after having been cut by the Rams. I could see the Pats bringing him in since I believe he's played all 5 O-line positions.

Beyond that, there would be promoting Nick McDonald from the Practice Squad, though I think the Pats would rather not do that..

Signed Donald Thomas - g. Has started with the Dolphins. From UConn. If we can get Wendell and Vollmer healthy, we'll be fine IMO.

Signed Donald Thomas - g. Has started with the Dolphins. From UConn. If we can get Wendell and Vollmer healthy, we'll be fine IMO.

He was also with Detroit for part of last season, though he was inactive during that time..

He's a C/G. 26.. Supposedly a good trap blocker. Good upper body strength. Not so good lower body strength.. Can play LG/RG/C Possibly some T as well.

So either things are looking up for Vollmer playing Sun or there is some other plan for backup T, and BB is reserving a roster spot for Koppen.

I agree. We need 1-3 OL's.

The relevance of Koppen coming back instead of going on IR is that we will likely reserve a roster spot for Koppen. If this is the case, my personal choice would be to carry 10 OL's.

I don't think there's room for 10 OLmen on the 53, but there should always be room for 9.

It appears that Bill's comfortable w/ Connolly at Center, so the signing of Thomas
as the backup Guard makes sense.

An injured Wendell now becomes our backup Center - blah. I'd love to see an upgrade there.

I was concerned about having Solder as our Swing Tackle, but after Monday's performance,
my concerns have been greatly alleviated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back