PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have 1 empty roster slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Pats have 1 empty roster spot and questions at 2 O-line positions. A lot will depend on what Harold Nash tells Belichick about Wendell and Vollmer.

I see 4 possible scenarios:

1) Neither Vollmer nor Wendell are ready to go. This one puts the Pats in a world of hurt because they'll be scrambling for a back-up at both OT and OC with the hopes that whoever they sign can play OG as well.

2) Vollmer isn't ready but Wendell is: They'll probably try and re-sign Welch. Solder handled RT better than anyone could have imagined. Cameron Wake got 1 coverage sack..

3) Vollmer is ready but Wendell isn't: In this scenario, the Pats will have to look outside the organization. Guys like Sean O'Hara or his former teammate Rich Seubert.

4) Wendell and Vollmer are both ready and the Pats add a safety...

Last edited:
I understand that Benny Sapp is available. :D

Moss. Obviously. ...

I vote for number 4.

I also voted for #4.

Seriously, the situaion is more complicated. There is the issue of timing. Koppen will be ready later this season. We'll keep a roster spot open. So, it may be that Vollmer and/or
aren't ready but are expected to be available in say 5 weeks.

The Pats have 1 empty roster spot and questions at 2 O-line positions. A lot will depend on what Harold Nash tells Belichick about Wendell and Vollmer.

I see 4 possible scenarios:

1) Neither Vollmer nor Wendell are ready to go. This one puts the Pats in a world of hurt because they'll be scrambling for a back-up at both OT and OC with the hopes that whoever they sign can play OG as well.

2) Vollmer isn't ready but Wendell is: They'll probably try and re-sign Welch. Solder handled RT better than anyone could have imagined. Cameron Wake got 1 coverage sack..

3) Vollmer is ready but Wendell isn't: In this scenario, the Pats will have to look outside the organization. Guys like Sean O'Hara or his former teammate Rich Seubert.

4) Wendell and Vollmer are both ready and the Pats add a safety...

I also voted for #4.

Seriously, the situaion is more complicated. There is the issue of timing. Koppen will be ready later this season. We'll keep a roster spot open. So, it may be that Vollmer and/or
I don't know why we would add Welch before the game then cut him after if Vollmer isnt ready. It would make no sense, unless the other shoe that drops is us signing a different T than Welch.

It SHOULD be 2 if BB dumps an injured Koppen (and later resigns the guy)

Koppen would make $$$ if dropped. This move make more sense...

Welsh is gone and add Koppen to the GONE list. That would be 2 spots open for 6-8 weeks :) we could pursue Sharper

If Vollmer won't be ready anytime soon, I think that there is strong possibility that Belichick would seek a better swing OT than Thomas Welch. Personally, I would have kept him on the 53 as the #4 OT, but I have no vote in the matter.

I don't know why we would add Welch before the game then cut him after if Vollmer isnt ready. It would make no sense, unless the other shoe that drops is us signing a different T than Welch.

Pardon if I'm missing the obvious, but -- what empty roster slot? :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind, I now see that news has been murky about Welch.

Last edited:
If Vollmer won't be ready anytime soon, I think that there is strong possibility that Belichick would seek a better swing OT than Thomas Welch. Personally, I would have kept him on the 53 as the #4 OT, but I have no vote in the matter.
Well, thats my point though. It has to either be a different T added or Vollmer is ready.

You forgot:

5) Neither Vollmer nor Wendell are ready to go. BB signs 2 more TEs and creates the first 5 TE lineup which is somehow successful while defying all logic.

You forgot:

5) Neither Vollmer nor Wendell are ready to go. BB signs 2 more TEs and creates the first 5 TE lineup which is somehow successful while defying all logic.

Green Bay has 5 TE's as of opening night. Dang Cheezheads always trying to show us up!

BTW, this (or the next 2-3 weeks at least) would be a really good time to see Cannon showing progress on his hopeful late start to the season. By week 6 or 7 he'd be ready to kick some serious ass!

BTW, this (or the next 2-3 weeks at least) would be a really good time to see Cannon showing progress on his hopeful late start to the season. By week 6 or 7 he'd be ready to kick some serious ass!

The only work Cannon can do is film study and work related to his re-hab. He's not allowed to participate in practices.

I also voted for #4.

MG - There are only 52 people on the roster right now. What does that have to do with Koppen being ready in 6-10 weeks?

Right now, the Pats have 8 O-line on the roster, but only 5 healthy. Koppen, Wendell and Vollmer are all battling injuries. The Pats need a minimum of 2 extra O-linemen UNLESS Wendell and Vollmer are healthy to return. Please go back and read the 4 different options and you'll see that I accounted for the possibilities as of right now.

The only work Cannon can do is film study and work related to his re-hab. He's not allowed to participate in practices.

Which is great... I didn't say he should be at practice. But if he's making quick progress in his rehab, then when week 6 gets here he has 3 weeks to practice with the team and hopefully add at least a layer of depth to the O-line. I can hope. Cannon's my binky.

Finally BB got highly-thought-of, protection-worthy Jeff Tarpinian onto the PS, he is free to wheel and deal.

On the O-line, just who are the veterans available. Gurode signed with the Ravens IIRC. Sean O'Hara if he is in shape? Others?

Of course, as always I am sure BB will surprise us with his choice.

Who has many years experience in the Pats system and has the possibility to back up at both OG and OT? Who was also offered an oppurtunity to stay with the team if he would take a pay cut? Who is also still available as a free agent and should now sign at a cheaper, nonfully guarenteed contract now that week one is gone? The option may not be popular but Kaczur would be the only player available who has the familiarity to step in seamlesly as a back up at both OG and OT for the next 5 to 8 weeks till both Vollmer and Cannon are hopefully ready to make a difference on this team. I would not be supprised to see him signed wed. to fill the open roster spot. Probibly in the team facilities working out the contract Now.

Rodney is coming out of retirement?
After splitting time with Dungy the past few year, I bet he wants to kill
someone.

Sign the beast !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back