PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get OT Ryan O'Callaghan at #136

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There's never going to be a defensive player!

Last edited:
okay Beioli..our D is fine..young at LB..no hole to fill ::sarcasm::

o'callaghan is good but MARK ANDERSON!

Wasn't he listed as one of the BPA's according to Kiper?

Very good pick IMO. This guy is huge 6-6 363 and rarely loses one on one match-ups

Good pick. Will add talented depth to the O-Line. Pats may have the youngest and deepest lines on both sides of the ball.

Seymour93 said:
Wasn't he listed as one of the BPA's according to Kiper?

#1 player available left on the board according to Kiper.

I guess Bill likes Josh more then Dean.

Pros: O’Callaghan combines enormous size with good agility and a massive wingspan. Over his final season he played through a broken wrist. When he gets his big mitts on a defender, he is difficult for most to shed. He is a quick study and has made line calls. He has fine functional strength to go with his imposing size. He can sit and anchor against the bull rush. He does get set up fairly quickly for his size, and is able to make blocks on the move when he reaches the second level. He is also a prospect on the inside and could be a big Kevin Gogan-type of guard too, though not useful for teams that pull regularly. He can pick up a blitz or stunt and works well switching off, showing enough agility to quickly move to either side.

Cons: He had multiple surgeries on his left shoulder, but he has not missed any time due to that injury. He is not sudden or explosive, and his hand punch is only average. His initial pop is barely adequate at this point.

Numbers:: At the Combine he ran the 40-yard dash in 5.37 seconds with a 25” vertical jump and a 7’8” broad jump. He did 21 reps of the 225-pound bench press.

Skinny: He is similar to tackles Todd Wade and Adam Meadows, who have played almost exclusively on the right. He has the talent to start in the NFL with some development. He could fall through the cracks in this deep class and be on the board late on the first day or early on the second day. He is a top 100 prospect in which teams like the Jets, Titans and Browns are interested.

Last edited:
i absolutely love this pick. he's one of the guys i really wanted. I'm a Cal alumnus and live on the west coast so I saw him play alot. O'Callaghan was one of the key players on the O-Line, which arguably was one of the top lines in the nation. Definitely great value here as i think he can be a solid starter at some point.

Last edited:
He replaces Ashworth. Good pick (upside is Jon Runyan, apparently), would've gone higher but has some durability concerns. Can't be any worse than Gorin on his downside.

Still alot of linebackers out there, including guys who would be tweeners. Still alot of decent secondary guys out there, but I'm beginning to think Ty Law might already be back.

Brandon Gorin is not a happy camper

I love this pick ... My 3rd biggest concern going into the draft was LT/RT depth. Mankins did so well at guard that moving him over due to injuries would have ben a double loss.

Kaczur seems ready to play either tackle spot...this kid gets to groom for a year and doesn't even have to worry about playing. I really tought we would grab Eric winston...but I have no complaints here. Belichick will get this kid down @345 and he will flourish.

I had us having RT as one of our needs (for depth, I see Kaczur starting), but they do indeed have this guy projected as a guard.

Bob G

That and he looks like Tom Brady with Down's Syndrome

ocallaghan_ryan.jpg

I suspect he may be Irish.

i hope we trade up because we dont pick for a loooong time and i dont think our D players will be there by then :(

RI Pats Fan said:
That and he looks like Tom Brady with Down's Syndrome

ocallaghan_ryan.jpg

That was poor and inconsiderate.

Ceresco said:
Very good pick IMO. This guy is huge 6-6 363 and rarely loses one on one match-ups

1st to 2nd round grade, and the Pats get him in Rd FIVE?? Wow! I love it! Ofcourse, there are many on here that would have rather had them take the 72nd rated OLB to fill a need. SARCASM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back