PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get 2-game roster exemption for Mankins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Patriots will receive two-game roster exemption for G Logan Mankins

Anyway, the Patriots will receive a two-game roster exemption thanks to the signing of Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins, an NFL spokesman told me.

This is the general rule for someone considered “a late reporting player.” Mankins, of course, signed his restricted free agent tender earlier this morning.

This means the Patriots can carry 54 players around for the next two weeks, with the only caveat being that the exemption goes away if Mankins is active. This would depend on his fitness level over the next two weeks. His locker, it should be noted, is still intact.

Any thoughts on who it might be?

Backup OL most likely. Guesses anyone?

It's pointless to guess since these thing often have a way of taking care of themselves (someone gets injured between now and then). Otherwise it will likely be the last man on the OL depth chart or someone else at the bottom of the roster with remaining PS eligibility.

Hey Logan, you ready for the SB run? Let's do it

question ?
so will he play vs cle?

question ?
so will he play vs cle?

Depends on what kind of shape he's in. Assuming he's in decent game-shape, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some snaps, though not start. That's a bit optimistic, but I'd rather him get his feet wet against the Browns than the Steelers or Colts.

My guess is no, for several obvious reasons. I doubt he sees the field until the exemption goes away. Will be interesting to see how Connelly plays this week.

Too bad the trade deadline has passed. That would have made for some more interesting wild speculation on this site (as if we don't have enough already right now).

question ?
so will he play vs cle?

Most likely no. Knowing Bill, he's going to take full advantage of the roster exemption. So barring an injury, we'll most likely see Logan vs Indy.

Holy crap! Mankins came back early and all we can talk about is Randy being waived by the Vikings.

Holy crap! Mankins came back early and all we can talk about is Randy being waived by the Vikings.

Exactly.

Mankins' return could be huge for us. Improve the already productive run game. Shore up the interior OL against rushers. Provide injury insurance. I look for BB to give him time to work his way into football shape before playing. The roster exemption says as much.

Exactly.

Mankins' return could be huge for us. Improve the already productive run game. Shore up the interior OL against rushers. Provide injury insurance. I look for BB to give him time to work his way into football shape before playing. The roster exemption says as much.

It's good news for sure. The OL will be improved once Mankins is game shape. Kinda feels good to be getting back a top player for once :D

Last edited:
As much as all the Mankins drama has sucked, getting back a pro-bowl LG at the season's Mid-Point is pretty huge. I kind of hope his early return leads to a contract agreement so there's no question or concern over his level of play.

If Logan is in game shape....nobody thinks he might be active for the Steelers game in Pitt?

Would be a good warm up for him for the Indy game also....

If my memory is correct, the Patriots eased Neal back into the starting role in 2008, having him rotating in for a game or two before having him become the full time player. We could see something similar with Mankins.

I would be extremely surprised if Mankins plays against Cleveland. Belichick has mentioned more than once that there is a big difference between being in shape and being in football shape. It would be nice to have Mankins available for Pittsburgh, but I wouldn't count on it.

Ironic that Logan Mankins returns right after Randy Moss talked so much about how he missed the Pats and basically put the team and entire organization up on a pedestal. Surely just a coincidence - though I'm surprised nobody in the media has picked up on that and speculated that the comments by Moss led to Mankin's decision to return.

Mankins musta passed the physical and the football endurance test because he practised today. That said, he doesn't play this sunday and maybe not against the Squealers either although that's a function of his football shape and OL health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes