Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats fans Bodybuilding thread

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by CheeseMonkeys, Dec 29, 2010.

1. CheeseMonkeys

CheeseMonkeys 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Anyone here hit the gym on a regular basis? I've been working out regularly for 3 years now, 5 days a week and at least an hour each day. I don't think there's any reason to spend much more time in the gym than that to get good results. Obviously, if your an athlete you could spend hours longer each day training agility, improving speed, or doing yoga.

I'm turning 20 soon and am slightly over 6'1 and 200 lbs at about 10% Body fat. I'm not into maxing out with one rep on anything, I bench 180- 185 lbs for about 10 reps. I try to work each muscle group twice a week. I used to do a lot of cardio until I got a new job that involves a lot of nonstop moving around all day.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. rjw

rjw PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I used to go about that much, but then my emt classes started. But now that that is done, (completed successfully :D ), I can return to my workout schedule. Think I might need to get some pointers from you.

3. CheeseMonkeys

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

I can help you figure out a work out schedule or answer any questions about nutrition/lifting if you want.

4. rjw

rjw PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Cool, always on the lookout for more tips and pointers.

5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,911 / 35 / -61

No Jersey Selected

I started getting too big so I'm all about the cardio nowadays. 4 miles on the treadmill and 15 minutes on the stairmaster regularly. Push-up and sit-up/crunch regiments on Wednesdays and the weekend. Pull-ups and dips regularly.

6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Used to work out a lot more when I played hockey in college.

These days, I take it a lot lighter. Since I moved to CT, I use the winters for adding muscle and summers for trimming fat. Summers, I'm 6'4" 210; right now, I'm 6'4" 225. Around 12-14% body fat; lifting 225 lbs x 6 reps on the bench, nothing special.

I still keep up on the running between 5-6 days a week. The only one I run for time is the 2-mile, which I ran at 14:34. I run about 15-25 miles a week depending on whether I'm doing more timed runs or more slow runs and whether or not I'm shoveling snow instead.

You guys are young. The only thing I would encourage you to do is keep it up after college. I kind of let myself go a bit for a few years (ate like an athlete, worked out like a couch1337) and it was a ***** to get it back.

7. CheeseMonkeys

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

I have dumbbells/bench press at my house so if I don't feel like heading to a gym I can get as good of a workout at home. There is no excuse for me not to get a good workout in each day unless I am sick or too busy.

I was really impressed with Aaron Hernandez after he put up 30 reps of 225. Amazing since he was 20 years old when he did it.

Aaron Hernandez commands attention in Gainesville | ProFootballTalk

I think in the NFL though, the RBs or WRs tend to have the best physiques. I've always been impressed with Reggie Bush's and Thomas Jone's Physiques.
    Bush...
    [​IMG]

8. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,993 / 42 / -15

I work out about 5 days a week. I do a lot of free weight, TRX, and cardio training. Have been working out with a trainer (former Mr. Universe) for the last six months. Prior to that, I worked out on my own. Have added 15lbs of muscle and lost about 20lbs of fat.

I'm really liking the TRX (suspension training where you use your own body weight) because you can really work different parts of your body doing the similiar exercises just by moving your positioning.

I know not everyone can afford a trainer, but I highly suggest it at least for a short period of time. I have definitely learned a lot of new types of weight training that go beyond the typical free weight stuff (bench press, curls, squats, etc.). A lot of this stuff get better results than the standard weight training.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  9. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Getting a trainer is definitely a great way to ramp up the training. I'm probably looking to do that after I go through Army training, and I'll probably use that military discount at CrossFit. I highly recommend CrossFit if you want to achieve performance results. A lot of door kickers I know swear by it.

By the way, nicely done and congrats on the muscle and fat levels there Rob. Body weight exercises are definitely a must.

10. CheeseMonkeys

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

I don't think getting a trainer is necessary. It's a good way to stay motivated and it helps some but as long as you can find a decent workout routine (internet, or ask someone who's experienced for some tips) and eat properly, you can still gain some decent muscle mass. Also, read some articles on bodybuilding for some more information, and these are usually written out by professionals.

Working out with a buddy can be beneficial. Recently i've been going over to a friends place who has a gym setup in his basement to work out. He can spot me if I need it and tell me if my form is off, maybe if I'm not realizing it. Train hard, rest, and eat right.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  11. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Just switched from using free weights and reps of bodyweight to just bodyweight work now. Had to turn down the cardio a little after some operations so I may just wack the iPod on and Forrest Gump it somewhere nice and easy one day and I may do interval work another day.

I train when I feel like now as opposed to set times. If somethings lacking I'll probrably deviate from that and focus on something more regularly for a period. I still do regular workouts, it's just basically alternate things on alternate days, times and keeps it from becoming a chore. No matter how much you love it, we've all had days where even just getting dressed to go the gym or out running becomes an act of will power instead of enjoyment or a wanting.

Thats purely personal at this moment in time, my training is more about upkeep. Obviously if your not naturally active or a resolution runner just starting out mid Jan then those initial weeks will be purely will power, pain, tiredness and a set regime. Then once the bug kicks in, the weight comes off and the muscle flexibilty comes you'll fly. Remember the goal, then you keep it fresh and frequent to get there.