PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats FA and offeason approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With the onset of FA less than 8 hours away and a lot of people having a high hopes for that savior CB, SS, WR, etc., it seems to me that there have been some signs so far this offseason that we should not expect very much.

In particular, the re-signing of Tully Banta-Cain to a veteran minimum contract and the signing of Eric Alexander to a very cheap one year contract, combined with the lack of offers to date for Mike Wright, Jabar Gaffney, James Sanders or Pierre Woods, suggests that the Pats may be taking an approach similar to when Belioli first started in NE, when they famously went out and signed a large number of free agents under $500,000. I think we could see something similar this year, especially with the franchise tender to Cassel. I wouldn't be surprised if BB lets Woods go to FA figuring that Banta-Cain is a cheaper replacement, for example. I see us being very selective about who we will give substantial contracts, especially given how deep the draft is this year. I don't see us being players for Jabari Greer who wants $7-8M/year, or any similarly overpriced FAs. After the feeding frenzy has settled there will be a lot of bodies out of work looking for deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back