PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats engaged in talks for Javon walker

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2423722

The Packers are also engaging in trade talks with the Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles but conversations aren't as far along as they are with the Saints and Broncos. Walker does not have any visits scheduled beyond the Saints and Broncos.

Going cold on Walker..he wants BIG bucks...we shall see how it plays out...

Not sure how I feel about Walker, but I know we desperately need a Receiver. Branch, Walker, Caldwell, Brown and Bam/Bethel doesn't sound bad.

I would take Walker. I would be a malcontent too if I were on the Packers.

The trading part is easy. It's his new contract demands, as 726 notes, that will prevent him from coming here.

dryheat44 said:
The trading part is easy. It's his new contract demands, as 726 notes, that will prevent him from coming here.

Not only that, but it would likely be a rub in any renegs with Branch. Not sure he would want to be second highest paid WR on the team.

They need to resign Branch, then they can go after a #1 type WR after the fact without having to worry too much about his ego.

No big deal...we are in the pot with 6 teams and will have to give up a high pick...luckily...we have the high 3rd because we cannot outbid if it goes to a 2nd.

Smith says Walker has a good relationship with the Pats. Rosy Colvin, Ty Warren, and Antw. Smith all took decent deals to be with Pats.

mgcolby said:
I know we desperately need a Receiver. .
desparate is not the word. The draft is next week, and there are lots of WRs to pick from. How can any team be desparate in April.

PatsRI said:
Smith says Walker has a good relationship with the Pats. Rosy Colvin, Ty Warren, and Antw. Smith all took decent deals to be with Pats.

Rosy Colvin is getting paid A LOT of money. Patriots weren't the high bidder, but right up there.

Ty Warren is still playing under his rookie deal.

Nobody else wanted Antowain Smith.

What relationship could Walker possibly have with the Patriots? Maybe they scouted him at FSU, but that would be it. Not sure what Smith is getting at.

and he said what WR wouldnt want to take a little less to play with Brady. agree..many veteran WRs would rather go to a very good team for little less than a very bad team for a little more because they want the ring.

This is a big gamble for the Packers. They waited until draft week to let their price be known for Walker. If they can get a taker on the high price they're asking for, it's a great deal for them. However, Walker is now saying that he'll sit out until week 10 if he isn't traded. He might be had for much less down the road if this thing drags on.

I think the price is too high for the Pats.

dryheat44 said:
Rosy Colvin is getting paid A LOT of money. Patriots weren't the high bidder, but right up there.

Ty Warren is still playing under his rookie deal.

Nobody else wanted Antowain Smith.

What relationship could Walker possibly have with the Patriots? Maybe they scouted him at FSU, but that would be it. Not sure what Smith is getting at.

Sorry - Walker's agent has the good relationship.

Overall, there seems to be a trend in trading WRs heading into the last year of their rookie deal, before they leave for big dollars in free agency. It's smart management if you're not a contender. If the Patriots weren't a playoff team, we probably would have seen Givens traded before last season.

So far we have Walker, Stallworth, and Lelie. The first two definitely fit the mold. Lelie just has a ridiculously high opinion of his worth. Am I forgetting anybody?

dryheat44 said:
Overall, there seems to be a trend in trading WRs heading into the last year of their rookie deal, before they leave for big dollars in free agency. It's smart management if you're not a contender. If the Patriots weren't a playoff team, we probably would have seen Givens traded before last season.

So far we have Walker, Stallworth, and Lelie. The first two definitely fit the mold. Lelie just has a ridiculously high opinion of his worth. Am I forgetting anybody?

Az Hakim, Ricky Proehl, one of the LiIons cast of thousands?

PatsRI said:
Sorry - Walker's agent has the good relationship.

I was under the impression that Walker was represented by Drew Rosenhaus.

Last edited:
SamBamsFan said:
I was under the impression that Walker was represented by Drew Rosenhaus.

Nope - not anymore. Walker split in the TO/Rosenhaus fallout

If we could get Walker for a reasonable draft pick/contract combo and combine it with extending Branch we would be locked and loaded, baby. I don't see it happening but IF it did I would be really excited.

mgcolby said:
Not sure how I feel about Walker, but I know we desperately need a Receiver. Branch, Walker, Caldwell, Brown and Bam/Bethel doesn't sound bad.

I used to feel as you do, but such non-Kool-aid thoughts caused other Patsfans members to hold an intervention with me in various threads.

They've convinced me that we are well stocked at WR - specifically that Caldwell is actually a #1 WR - and that we can expect all our other WRs who averaged 4 catches last year to have career seasons (6 passes?)

CATS is also one of the best broadway musicals of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes