PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats end season 8th in fewest points allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last 5 games the Pats allowed 47 points, 27 of which were to Green Bay, that is a very impressive stat...

...and have forced 18 turnovers. Incredible

That's cool. I don't think that site is counting today's games yet. I think if you factor those in, they'd hop over Tampa.
#8 for the season... and just 9 points behind the Jets.

Obligatory post about the ranking being extremely deceiving because anyone with eyes can tell this defense is actually far more vulnerable in reality than stats can ever show.

Follow-up: if you take out all the games where the defense was dominant the stats show they actually weren't very good.
Now wait a minute... :confused3:

Hey, take away the Fins 9 losses, they had an undefeated season!

Don't believe the hype.

If you factor out their gimmicky turnovers, the Pats defense is painfully average at best. The turnovers are what is making them look good, and those were mostly a product of luck and the offense putting other teams in a desperate situation where turnovers are innevitable

When one considers how good our offense is and how much rest they give our defense, it is amazing the defense is as bad as it is.

The Pats defense will continue this average play throughout the playoffs when turnovers are not considered. Mark my words!

Don't believe the hype.

If you factor out their gimmicky turnovers, the Pats defense is painfully average at best. The turnovers are what is making them look good, and those were mostly a product of luck and the offense putting other teams in a desperate situation where turnovers are innevitable

When one considers how good our offense is and how much rest they give our defense, it is amazing the defense is as bad as it is.

The Pats defense will continue this average play throughout the playoffs when turnovers are not considered. Mark my words!

Great post. That's right, I forgot that turnovers aren't allowed in the playoffs.

We're DOOMED!!!!!

Now wait a minute... :confused3:

Hey, take away the Fins 9 losses, they had an undefeated season!

I really think he was being facetious. Well... I laughed anyway. :D

The turnover are a product of playing with the lead. But, I might also argue that a couple of those td's were in garbage time. Cincy and Pitt come to mind. We would have been 5th or 6th in points allowed. That's the key stat to me. Keep the other team from scoring no??

The turnover are a product of playing with the lead. But, I might also argue that a couple of those td's were in garbage time. Cincy and Pitt come to mind. We would have been 5th or 6th in points allowed. That's the key stat to me. Keep the other team from scoring no??

Good point, Miami's garbage td, though I was pissed we allowed it:D.

Great post. That's right, I forgot that turnovers aren't allowed in the playoffs.

We're DOOMED!!!!!

I never said that turnovers wouldn't count, although I'm sure Goodell and/or the competition comittee is looking into that, at least for all Patriot opponents.

I'm just saying that these lucky, gimmicky turnovers are skewing the otherwise mediocre stats for this pats defense. I'm pretty sure Marshall Faulk would agree with my analysis.

Also, if you look at only his time in Cleveland, Belichick is a mediocre head coach with poor media skills and a lousy wardrobe.

Just saying.

Last edited:

I've been saying/writing this all along. Interestingly, most Jets fans don't seem to get this point. One on Gang Green said that he was enthused about their offense because they scored 34 points on the Bears and the "Bears defense is 1,000 times better than the Patriots."

So where does that rank the Jets defense that gave up 38 to the Bears offense?

Patriots:

8th in defensive points per game

4th fewest penalties of any team

#1 in interceptions and #1 in interceptions returned for touchdowns

#1 and NFL record low in offensive turnovers

#1 in offensive ppg (only team that scored over 500 points).

If you limit penalties, don't turn the ball over and take care of business in the Red Zone, you're in any game.

Belichick deserves coach of the year.

Patriots:

8th in defensive points per game

4th fewest penalties of any team

#1 in interceptions and #1 in interceptions returned for touchdowns

#1 and NFL record low in offensive turnovers

#1 in offensive ppg (only team that scored over 500 points).

If you limit penalties, don't turn the ball over and take care of business in the Red Zone, you're in any game.

Belichick deserves coach of the year.

*With undrafted/2nd year players.

Absolutely no reason why this current team should be 14-2. BB=GOAT

The best D in the AFC East

There is something definately going on here.

I think the Patriots are going to go on a historic playoff run of domination.

and the bad news? These kids are just now getting to understand what they are supposed to be doing.

Honest to god...next year is going to be frightening.

I never said that turnovers wouldn't count, although I'm sure Goodell and/or the competition comittee is looking into that, at least for all Patriot opponents.

I'm just saying that these lucky, gimmicky turnovers are skewing the otherwise mediocre stats for this pats defense. I'm pretty sure Marshall Faulk would agree with my analysis.

Also, if you look at only his time in Cleveland, Belichick is a mediocre head coach with poor media skills and a lousy wardrobe.

Just saying.

I don't know which "lucky, gimmicky turnovers" to which you refer. I doubt you mean James Sanders pick against the Colts when the d-line pressured Manning as let go of the ball, or the spectacular interception by McCourty of Rivers after he got flushed up in the pocket, or Chung's blocked FG returned for a TD by Arrington against Miami.

"Luck is the residue of design," said Branch Rickey.

The full quote is: “Things worthwhile generally don’t just happen. Luck is a fact, but should not be a factor. Good luck is what is left over after intelligence and effort have combined at their best. Negligence or indifference are usually reviewed from an unlucky seat. The law of cause and effect and causality both work the same with inexorable exactitudes. Luck is the residue of design.”

The Patriots' mantra is "Do your job." If everyone is doing his job good things happen like turnovers and 103-yard kickoff returns for TDs (Tate) and 97 punt returns for TDs (Edelman). This team has 53 guys all pulling in the same direction, the results are not gimmicky or lucky.

Last edited:
I don't know which "lucky, gimmicky turnovers" to which you refer.

I threw the lucky, gimmicky in there on the original post to indicate I was being sarcastic.

When that didn't seem enough, I threw in the patently ridiculous concept of judging BB as a head coach only by his cleveland years.

Relax, I was only doing my best Marshall faulk impersonation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back