PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Dump Starks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a surprise. An unfortunate trade that didn't work out.

Thank God...what a waste of a 3rd rounder. Whomever recommended that move on the staff should be fired immediately.

Lord I hope this is true.

The PFT article said something interesting though.
Miguel this is for you.

By making the move, the Pats will avoid paying Starks $3.6 million in 2006 salary. It appears that his salary was reduced to the minimum of $540,000 in 2005, which implies that the team converted a significant portion of his 2005 pay to a signing bonus. Our educated guess is that the number was $3.06 million, which would translate to $1.53 million in dead money on the books for the Pats in 2006. But since 2006 was the final year of Starks' deal, there will be no extra cap hit, enabling the team to clear a full $3.6 million off of the books before free agency opens.

Miguel is this true? Do we really save $3.6 million with no cap hit?

Last edited:
according to miguel's page... Starks will cost us $1.5M in 06 (dead money)... if we had kept him, he would have cost $5.1M.

So, will still owe $1.5 for him, but we save $3.6M vs. keeping him.

PatsWorldChamps said:
according to miguel's page... Starks will cost us $1.5M in 06 (dead money)... if we had kept him, he would have cost $5.1M.

So, will still owe $1.5 for him, but we save $3.6M vs. keeping him.

Thanks man. Taking a $1.5 mil cap hit is still to much for him, IMO. But I'll take the $3.6 savings. :D
This was definately not a good move by BB/Pioli.

Amazing how Hank Poteat is a huge upgrade over Starks.

I still wonder if the Pats and Cardinals knew the severity of Starks' injury before the trade. If we went by assurances from the Cardinals the Pats ought to be trying to re-claim the pick.

The Gr8est said:
I still wonder if the Pats and Cardinals knew the severity of Starks' injury before the trade. If we went by assurances from the Cardinals the Pats ought to be trying to re-claim the pick.

I think this falls under the 'haha SUCKAaaaaAAAA' clause where if you sign the papers, it's now your problem.

BB will rue the day that he released Starks, right NEM? :rolleyes:

I haven't been able to confirm this on any other site. But, it is an obvious choice to make.

Great news, thank you.

we will not remember him surely as a great Patriot

Not sure what I think about this one. I was hoping he could recover and be our number 1 guy, but it does save a good amount of cap room. It is just too bad we wasted a 3rd round pick on him.

nickw308810 said:
Not sure what I think about this one. I was hoping he could recover and be our number 1 guy, but it does save a good amount of cap room. It is just too bad we wasted a 3rd round pick on him.
Hey, look at the Bills with Mike Williams. How you like to have the Pats screw up a high first round pick like that? What if they had picked David Terrell instead of ichard Seymour as Ron Borges the genius wanted them to and ripped BB for bypassing Terrell :D

Or what if we'd drafted Pennington instead of Brady? First round pick vs sixth rounder.

I think the Pats do okay for themselves, even with the some of the bad mid round picks over the last few years (Cobbs, Reid, thoese TEs)

Starks played hurt... I don't understand why everyone feels the need to trash him. It didn't work out, but it's just one of those things.

KDPpatsfan said:
Thank God...what a waste of a 3rd rounder. Whomever recommended that move on the staff should be fired immediately.

Eric Mangini made the call.... :cool:

oldrover said:
Starks played hurt... I don't understand why everyone feels the need to trash him. It didn't work out, but it's just one of those things.

I agree. I don't think we'll ever know if Starks was actually crappy or just injured.

oldrover said:
Exactly. I cant say whether Starks would have been a great CB if he was actually healthy but he played injured, how do you expect him not to get burned here and there, trying to keep up with very quick wide recievers. He certainly would have been BETTER if he were not injured, not saying he'd have become a superstar but I just dont think he's as bad as people say after this year.

One of the reasons Starks seemed so bad was his finesse play, further complicated by poor tackling. A shoulder injury would certainly contribute to that, both physically and mentally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back