PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Draft Picks Signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPats

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I have been away out of town of late and looked through the first few pages of the board, but see no reference of any signings by the Pats's picks in the draft. If there were none, does anyone recall at what time last year the Pats draftees were signed?

I don't remember when they usually sign but this is way early. The high picks usually sign no more than a week before training camp.

The only player in the draft signed is Mario Williams. It's on NFL.com somewhere on there. I saw it last night.

The only two picks of the entire draft to sign so far are Mario Williams (#1, Texans) and OL Willie Colon (#131, Steelers)

Draft picks get signed like dominos usually beginning in July. Williams was signed before he was drafted, as has become the practice since teams want to know they can get #1 into camp. Bush may gum up the works at #2 because he reportedly wants #1 money. Young will want his #3 to reflect his being the #1 QB selected and the Titans have to clear cap space before they sign anyone. Then Lienart will want his #10 to reflect he was the #2 QB selected. They will all want more money and bigger bonuses than the guys in their slots got last year, and it will be tough because signing bonuses can only be pro-rated over 5 years and beginning with 2nd rounders they can only be signed for a maximum of 4 years.

They are all automatically under contract at the rookie minimum with standard injury protection language. For most that is enough if things drag on, but for some it triggers a TC holdout until their deal is actually done.

Last year

July 25 - Signed Logan Mankins.
July 22 - Signed Ellis Hobbs.
July 20 - Signed Nick Kaczur and James Sanders.
June 28 - Signed Matt Cassell and Ryan Claridge.
June 10 - Signed Andy Stokes.

As long as everybody is signed a week or so before camp, I'll be a happy camper. Seems like every time someone signs after the first few days (or weeks) of camp, they get hurt. Ben Watson of the Pats and Cedric Benson of the Bears come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back