PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft Darren McFadden

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are set at WR going forward with Moss, Welker, Jackson, etc. Does Stallworth renegotiate to come back? Dunno

I concur. I also hope Stallworth returns. He's great after the catch and has been a great compliment to Moss.

We need LB help and CB/S help. I could see a later round RB taken to back up and split time with 39, but not a 1st. Maybe a Mendenhall from Illinois if he drops.

BB has never successfully developed a LB from his rookie year (Willie, Tedy and Ted don't count). During BB's tenure, he's preferred to go with veteran LBs over developing them. If they have the cap room and if Tedy retires, don't be surprised to see the team take a look at Karlos Dansby of the Cardinals. He's the type of big, versatile LB BB covets.

Expect Colvin to sign an extention, which will lower his cap value in the process. He owes the team that.

With Brady, the WR's and the o-line, we need to ensure success for the next 5 yrs or so by re-stocking the weaker spots of the D.

DB is the likely position BB will target in next year's draft. It's all but a lock that Samuel will walk. Wilson could too, but since he's been struggling with injuries that last 3 years, including this season, his market value is dropping. That could allow the Pats to re-sign him at a reasonable price. Meriweather's rookie season has been so bad, the Pats will be motivated to bring back Wilson. Gay will likely walk.

Look for the Pats to target the following players:

Michael Jenkins CB South Florida (Ty Law type who could switch to safety, my personal favorite)
DeJuan Tribble CB Boston College (is short but reminds me of Hobbs)
Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St. ****-JR expected to come out

NOTE: the Free Safety class looks weak for 2008.

We could be looking at contending, as favourites, for the next 3-5 years.

As long as Brady is healthy and upright, expect January football to be the norm. :D

Last edited:
well, we are not a run first/wear down your opponent type team, so really no need for a RB like McFadden...Maroney is a great back IMO and fits well with what we do. LB/DB is were we need to focus on getting better and faster/younger

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND HOLY WE SHOULD NOT PASS UP ON DARREN MCFADDEN.

It is not a matter of passing up on the talent, but looking for some value. I have no problem ransoming the pick to someone and building extra value. But right now any upgrade on the offense is going to be a maginal improvement, assuming we resign Moss.

I would prefer resigning Moss and the looking to bolster a weakended defense.

well, we are not a run first/wear down your opponent type team, so really no need for a RB like McFadden...Maroney is a great back IMO and fits well with what we do. LB/DB is were we need to focus on getting better and faster/younger

What do you guys not get??? Drafting McFadden allows us to trade Maroney for a pick or picks to bolster our defense. Denver is the perfect trade partner as they have already mentioned their love for Maroney and they need a RB for next year in an enormous way. We get McFadden (with the pick from SF we already have) in addition to high draft pick(s) for Maroney. If we are able to trade Maroney for pick(s), drafting McFadden in no way inhibits our ability to replentish our D!

Last edited:
What do you guys not get??? Drafting McFadden allows us to trade Maroney for a pick or picks to bolster our defense. Denver is the perfect trade partner as they have already mentioned their love for Maroney and they need a RB for next year in an enormous way. We get McFadden (with the pick from SF we already have) in addition to high draft pick(s) for Maroney. If we are able to trade Maroney for pick(s), drafting McFadden in no way inhibits our ability to relentish our D!

Dont you know!!! Maroney is the best back in the NFL. Just has not shown it yet. Its all by design :rolleyes: why pay attention to an idea that would be awesome!?

If that situation could be pulled off I would pass out in shock. It would be AWESOME.

Last edited:
Wow, I actually agree with just about everything you said here. Very good post. The Patriots indeed do NOT draft based on need. If they did you would have seen linebackers drafted in the 1st round the past 3 or 4 years. Instead they went for the best players available that fit their system. I think this kind of drafting HAS worked. Maroney is a good young player. But let's be honest. He has not proven to be GREAT, and he IS injury prone.

McFadden is a GREAT back that has the potential ability in any given game to rush for 300 yards. If he is the best available player you take him if you are the Patriots because he makes your team better. I've already pointed out in the draft forum that running back duos WORK in the modern NFL. Look at New Orleans with McAllister and Bush, Jacksonville with Taylor and Maurice Drew Jones, etc.

If the Patriots can work out a deal to trade down, it had better be a cherry of a deal, ie we would get at least 2 1st round picks in return. Otherwise stay put and get the best player on the board. Let me remind you that the Patriots paid Richard Seymour Top 6 pick money and they have never looked back or regretted doing it. When you have the chance to draft a bona fide STUD for your franchise for the next 10 years, you do it.

Everyone should know this by now, you never draft for need. I don't care what the Pats need, if the value isn't there, don't take him. If you draft based on need, then your team will end up with the top pick every year. Exihit A, the 9ers needed a QB and were forced to take Alex Smith. Look at their team now. How about the Texans and David Carr? How about the Titans and Pac Man Jones? Troy Williamson was a very high pick as well because the Vikings needed a WR. Reggie Williams and the Jaguars? We could on and on how other teams blew it because they drafted based on need when better players were available. Yes, the Pats need LB and DB but if the best available player isn't one of those listed above, you shouldn't be surprised if the Pats take a RB, LT, DE etc. Now, if Darren McFadden is the best available, he will be a Patriot unless Dallas gives an offer they can't refuse to trade out. To think that Maroney isn't going to pan out is a bad arguement right now. He is averaging 4.7 a carry yet he hardly gets the ball. The Pats offense is a pass heavy offense that features big time recievers. I'm sure if the roles were reversed you guys would ask if they made a mistake taking Addai over Maroney. I'm sure Maroney would have the same success in Indy that Addai is having.

Last edited:
Meriweather says hello.

Meriweather has played little to no snaps this year. Thats not an immediate need type of draft. If he drafted for need we would have traded up for Willis.

Last edited:
Meriweather says hello.

Yeah, and how many snaps has he seen?? Meriweather was a luxury pick, the same way Watson was a luxury pick. They were taken with an idea to be productive in the future though not in the immediate present. That is the very opposite of a need pick.

Meriweather has played little to no snaps this year. Thats not an immediate need type of draft. If he drafted for need we would have traded up for Willis.

Exactly. Somebody on this board has to stand up against purely 'needs based' draft thinking don't we? :)

Last edited:

Meriweather has played little to no snaps because he has sucked.

The Pats were desparate for a free safety/CB. Samuel was going to sit for 10 games, Wilson and Gay were injury prone and entering the final years of their deals. RH is in his mid-30s recovering from his 2nd knee surgery in 3 years. The Pats addressed their LB need by signing Thomas in FA. And, there was a run on DBs. They needed a DB more than at any other position.

We had no shot at trading up for Willis.

Agreed, except I don't want Laurinaitis. We don't have a need at RB. Where do we need help in the secondary (assuming Samuel is re-signed)?
CBs are decent. Safety!? Big time need.
Rodney?...who knows how much longer. Love another year or two.
Wilson?, contract year and he is made of glass. He's gone. Started decent this year but hasn't played well in a long time.
Merriweather? more suited to CB.
Lastly Sanders? Perhaps the biggest soft spot in the defense. There is a lot of man-love for James, and I have absolutely no idea why, but he rots as a cover guy. I'm sure I can beat him. I would be willing to bet he has the team lead in missed tackles. No need to come to his defense. It's just one mans opinion.

An impact safety like this kid Landry would upgrade and make the D younger.
DW Toys

What do you guys not get??? Drafting McFadden allows us to trade Maroney for a pick or picks to bolster our defense. Denver is the perfect trade partner as they have already mentioned their love for Maroney and they need a RB for next year in an enormous way. We get McFadden (with the pick from SF we already have) in addition to high draft pick(s) for Maroney. If we are able to trade Maroney for pick(s), drafting McFadden in no way inhibits our ability to replentish our D!
Sorry, the Patriots would get better VALUE trading the fourth pick in the draft than trading Maroney. By trading Maroney, you diminish his value. Darren McFadden is a Maroney clone.

How are McFadden's hands? Besides using him as a running back, we may also be able to use him out wide, depending on his hands, route running, etc.

Sorry, the Patriots would get better VALUE trading the fourth pick in the draft than trading Maroney. By trading Maroney, you diminish his value. Darren McFadden is a Maroney clone.

I have to disagree. McFadden is on a completely different level than Maroney. It's not even close. If we can get a 2nd rounder, or possibly a 1st for Maroney - this is a no frickin' brainer.

I think this guy is going to have the kind of impact A. Peterson is currently having.

Really? You expect him to have the greatest rookie RB season that the NFL has ever seen?

Sorry for being snotty, but I think you aren't putting Peterson's season in the proper perspective. He is literally having once-in-every-twenty years type of rookie season.

As far as the Pats drafting McFadden, word is Jerry Jones as a raging you-know-what-on for McFadden, and in fact traded with the Browns this year thinking their pick would allow him to get him.

Oops.

I say if anything look for NE to trade the 49ers pick for both Dallas #1s, depending on where those picks are.

Are you on crack? Im serious.

I have to disagree. McFadden is on a completely different level than Maroney. It's not even close. If we can get a 2nd rounder, or possibly a 1st for Maroney - this is a no frickin' brainer.
Trade Maroney to whom? If cornerback Asante Samuel departs for free agency, the Patriots are to rely on a rookie second round draft pick? PLEASE!

Trade Maroney to whom? If cornerback Asante Samuel departs for free agency, the Patriots are to rely on a rookie second round draft pick? PLEASE!

Answer the question. Did you just say Mcfadden was a Maroney clone?

BWAAHAHAHA

Are you on crack? Im serious.
McFadden hasn't even played a down in the NFL and you're already trying to compare him to the Minnesota Vikings Adrian Peterson. Meanwhile, if Asante Samuel departs via free agency, the Patriots will only have one legitimate cornerback on the roster next season. Also, Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau will most likely retire after this season, so let's completely ignore the inside linebacker position altogether.

Answer the question. Did you just say Mcfadden was a Maroney clone?

BWAAHAHAHA

Both are explosive runners with an upright style.

Maroney was the second coming in college...he was "all that".

How do you know McFadden won't have limited success in the NFL like so many other high 1st round picks?

"You just know". How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey