PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft Darren McFadden

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my proposed scenario we replace an oft-injured RB with a potential game breaker, while getting an additional pick or 2 to build LB and DB depth. How is this not a win/win?

What makes you think Shanahan and the Broncos WANT an oft-injured RB ? Yeah he claimed back during the draft that in a few years Maroney will be the best RB in the NFL, but apparently some people have soured on Maroney already, what makes you think he hasn't ? I'm a huge McFadden fan as well, I think he is very Adrian Peterson-like. He would be a bigtime playmaker for us, but we thought that about Maroney (who still may become a bigtime playmaker).

I think Laurenitis, if we ever take a LBer in the first round, would be a perfect guy for the Pats defense. He has the size, the speed, coverage skills, etc. I think as our defensive stars in the LB & DB corp start to age, It would be awesome to have Laurenitis and Merriweather slowly worked into being starters.

I do not give any credence to the "Maroney's cheaper" argument. With the way the salary cap is projected to expand, this is a non-issue.

Lets just say that San Fran nets us the 7th pick. Last year the 7th pick got 5 years 22.5 million that could exceed 43 million with incentives and a guranteed 15 million.

Maroney signed a 5 year 8.7 million dollar contract.

You tell me theres no difference?

Let me make it simple; McFadden and a 1st or 2nd round pick (which could be used for LB or DB) for Maroney. This is a NO-BRAINER!

WHO IS TRADING YOU THESE PICKS??!??!?!?

No one is trading up and giving you there 2nd round pick. NO ONE!

damn

can some mod edit the post title?

i thought we just drafted McFadden and we didn't.

what a misleading thread title. i think im going to be sick.

Nobody has to trade up. We would keep the pick we got from San Fran (take McFadden), and I'm projecting Denver giving us a late 1st or 2nd for Maroney. They have no RB going into next season, and Shannahan loved Maroney. I think this is a realistic possibility. You dont?

Last edited:
guys, why so down on maroney, i see why u may not think too highly of him...but really, ur shouldnt be SO down...

when the pats are gonna start to run it, thats wehn well be able to make our assessment, not until then though...

i think maroney is gettting ready to explode

Good thing bb does not draft on need.
Do you want to end up with the likes of Chad Brown and Monty Beisel at inside linebacker next year as was the case in 2005?

Lets just say that San Fran nets us the 7th pick. Last year the 7th pick got 5 years 22.5 million that could exceed 43 million with incentives and a guranteed 15 million.

Maroney signed a 5 year 8.7 million dollar contract.

You tell me theres no difference?

Yes, there is a difference, but not one I feel would deter the Pats from drafting McFadden. If you are going to point out the financial difference, why not also point out the statistical difference between that 7th pick( Peterson) and Mr. Maroney? I think that is the kind of difference McFadden could make in our running game.

I think we will either get a great deffensive end Chris Long or take Mcfadden

guys, why so down on maroney, i see why u may not think too highly of him...but really, ur shouldnt be SO down...

when the pats are gonna start to run it, thats wehn well be able to make our assessment, not until then though...

i think maroney is gettting ready to explode

Not down on Maroney, but McFadden is special. If Denver is willing to give us a 1st or 2nd for Maroney, and we can draft McFadden with San Fran's pick, why wouldn't we?

Do you want to end up with the likes of Chad Brown and Monty Beisel at inside linebacker next year as was the case in 2005?

No I don't. I just look at Belichick and know he will draft best player available over need. Unless of course the best player available fits our need.

God damn lb and secondary positions!!!

Last edited:
In my opinion this is a very logical possibility. We have the 49er's pick, which could very likely be a top 3 pick. The other 2 most likely teams in the top 3 would be Miami (already with R Brown) and St. Louis (S. Jackson). We have McFadden fall in our laps and trade Maroney for Denver's 1st or 2nd round pick. They are going to need a running back, and recall what Shannahan said about Maroney during the 06 draft "I wouldn't be surprised if he became the best back in the NFL". What do you guys think?

BB and Pioli would likely trade for multiple picks as per their M.O. "Mo' picks, mo' picks, mo' picks!

OK i hate how people assume that we are down on Maroney. No one has suggested that, we all know he is going to be a good play its just that an opportunity to get a player in Darren McFadden who can one day be better than A. Peterson should not be passed on. Its like having a player like Hines Ward, though a good impactful reciever, how many of you would pass on a player named Randy Moss?

I bet some of you negative pats fans are going to argue me being quick to label D. Mac but i dont think you realize how phenomenal he is unless you watch him. Since Arkansas has no passing game, D. Mac has to constantly play against defenses who put 8 men in the box to stop him. Yet he averages 7 yards a carry and last week he put up 323 yards rushing! The RB position is by far the easiest position to translate talent over well to the NFL aside to maybe a kicker.

Look, YES we all agree we need a LB and CB, but we can find very good players in the later rounds for these roles. Defensive players can always be trained to fill a gap well enough for a defense to succeed i.e. Hobbes, Gay, Green even Troy Brown shown this. Howerver some of them like Asante Samuel (4th round) will go even further and become a superstar.

I dont care how good a defensive player is, if i had a choice of either Freeney, Seymour or Merriman type of player and a RB in Adrian Peterson i would not hesitate and take A. Peterson. Just imagine if the Vikings had a passing game? A. Peterson right now is carrying that team on his back. Again let me reiterate my feelings, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND HOLY WE SHOULD NOT PASS UP ON DARREN MCFADDEN.

First of all, we won't even be in McFadden's picking window. Let's check out SF's remaining schedule

@ Seattle (Loss)
St. Louis (Win)
@ Arizona (Win/Loss 50/50)
@ Carolina (Loss)
Minnesota (Win)
Cincinnatti (Loss)
Tampa (Loss)
Cleveland (Loss)

I see them losing 5 of their next 8 games, that would put them at (5-11) and that would put the Pats in the 7-10 window, McFadden will be gone in top 4.

First of all, we won't even be in McFadden's picking window. Let's check out SF's remaining schedule

@ Seattle (Loss)
St. Louis (Win)
@ Arizona (Win/Loss 50/50)
@ Carolina (Loss)
Minnesota (Win)
Cincinnatti (Loss)
Tampa (Loss)
Cleveland (Loss)

I see them losing 5 of their next 8 games, that would put them at (5-11) and that would put the Pats in the 7-10 window, McFadden will be gone in top 4.

They have absolutely no offense. They will finish 3-13.

OK i hate how people assume that we are down on Maroney. No one has suggested that, we all know he is going to be a good play its just that an opportunity to get a player in Darren McFadden who can one day be better than A. Peterson should not be passed on. Its like having a player like Hines Ward, though a good impactful reciever, how many of you would pass on a player named Randy Moss?

I bet some of you negative pats fans are going to argue me being quick to label D. Mac but i dont think you realize how phenomenal he is unless you watch him. Since Arkansas has no passing game, D. Mac has to constantly play against defenses who put 8 men in the box to stop him. Yet he averages 7 yards a carry and last week he put up 323 yards rushing! The RB position is by far the easiest position to translate talent over well to the NFL aside to maybe a kicker.

Look, YES we all agree we need a LB and CB, but we can find very good players in the later rounds for these roles. Defensive players can always be trained to fill a gap well enough for a defense to succeed i.e. Hobbes, Gay, Green even Troy Brown shown this. Howerver some of them like Asante Samuel (4th round) will go even further and become a superstar.

I dont care how good a defensive player is, if i had a choice of either Freeney, Seymour or Merriman type of player and a RB in Adrian Peterson i would not hesitate and take A. Peterson. Just imagine if the Vikings had a passing game? A. Peterson right now is carrying that team on his back. Again let me reiterate my feelings, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND HOLY WE SHOULD NOT PASS UP ON DARREN MCFADDEN.

Especially if we can get a high pick for Maroney to help at LB and DB.

Everyone should know this by now, you never draft for need. I don't care what the Pats need, if the value isn't there, don't take him.

Need is an INTEGRAL component of Value. Value is defined by future returns less investment. A player can return more if he can get on the field. For example: Player A and Player B are otherwise equivalent in talent and cost. Player A is a DE in the Pats system and Player B is a CB. Player B has more value to the Pats because he could get on the field (need position).

The Pats definitely consider future needs when evaluating draft decisions. Do you think the Pats will have any quarterbacks on their first round draft board?

Need is an INTEGRAL component of Value. Value is defined by future returns less investment. A player can return more if he can get on the field. For example: Player A and Player B are otherwise equivalent in talent and cost. Player A is a DE in the Pats system and Player B is a CB. Player B has more value to the Pats because he could get on the field (need position).

The Pats definitely consider future needs when evaluating draft decisions. Do you think the Pats will have any quarterbacks on their first round draft board?

Your right. I forgot to write the Pats will look at every position other than QB.

In my opinion this is a very logical possibility. We have the 49er's pick, which could very likely be a top 3 pick. The other 2 most likely teams in the top 3 would be Miami (already with R Brown) and St. Louis (S. Jackson). We have McFadden fall in our laps and trade Maroney for Denver's 1st or 2nd round pick. They are going to need a running back, and recall what Shannahan said about Maroney during the 06 draft "I wouldn't be surprised if he became the best back in the NFL". What do you guys think?

I would really be disappointed with this. Really, really, really disappointed.

I would keep Maroney and get a LB with that first pick, trade back if you want too, but get an elite LB.

We are undoubtly going to lose Bruschi and Seau after this season. Alexander is not a replacement and I don't think there will be anyone on the FA market that would work in there. So lets finally address that giant weak spot with an elite talent.

We are going to need some reenforcements for the secondary, I have not given up on Samuel, but if we resign Samuel, then Gay is likely to NY. Wilson is liekly gone, Harrison is likely gone, but I think Sanders and Merriweather can step up and fill in those roles. Samuel resigning is paramount and then a late first day or early second day pick will keep the secondary intact. But if we lose Samuel, then we have to areas in the defense which will need some immediate help in that area, again in a thin FA market.

So the defense is going to need some new talent PDQ, I really do not think the offense is going to need serious upgrades in the offseason. Resign Moss, perhaps renegotiate with Stallworth, maybe see if Jackson can get it done, but I think Maroney is still a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes