PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft Chris Houston or

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbee

Banned
Reaction score
Revis in the first round. I'd bet.

Also will probably draft Anthony Spencer or Stewart Bradley in the 3rd/4th.

I doubt they draft a WR in the first or a safety high.

How do you figure that Spencer falls to the 3rd or 4th round?

Houston, Revis, Aaron Ross at #24 and Michael Griffin at #28 is my guess at this point.

He didn't have that good of a combine.

I hope they keep their second and draft Harris of Michigan.

Trading back in two round 2 is also an option. I'd like to have Welker and Harris.

That's scary. I agree 100%. We certainly could want to trade down from #28, especially if Griffin isn't there.

Houston, Revis, Aaron Ross at #24 and Michael Griffin at #28 is my guess at this point.

Why do you guys want to provide players fro the Jets, Bills and Dolphins? There a re few to None positions that are open on the Patriots secondary!

I'll repeat it again there are few to no openings available on the Patriots secondary. They have 13 players who are or were starting quality secondary people. they can carry 9 or 10,before you get to the cast of thousands scrubs that the Pats also have...

So why do you want to use up your premium picks there?

How many openings are there at LB. About four, five or six!
Draft where there is limited talent...

Repeat draft where there is limited talent....

Repeat draft where there is limited talent...

Repeat...

(broken Record)

I agree with this...If the Merriweather check out....Most of our secondary is getting up there in age....Who to say if Asante is even here next year...

Since McBee started a CB thread, here's a CB I thought wasn't too bad for ND turning in decent measurables.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts
Mike Richardson, CB, Notre Dame: Richardson (5-10¾, 188 pounds) ran his 40s in 4.48 and 4.50. He also had a 36-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-7 long jump, 4.05 short shuttle and 6.27 three-cone drill.

Last edited:
Why do you guys want to provide players fro the Jets, Bills and Dolphins? There a re few to None positions that are open on the Patriots secondary!

I'll repeat it again there are few to no openings available on the Patriots secondary. They have 13 players who are or were starting quality secondary people. they can carry 9 or 10,before you get to the cast of thousands scrubs that the Pats also have...

So why do you want to use up your premium picks there?

How many openings are there at LB. About four, five or six!
Draft where there is limited talent...

Repeat draft where there is limited talent....

Repeat draft where there is limited talent...

Repeat...

(broken Record)

Let's see....you have oft injured Gay who is a RFA or UFA next year, just injured Wilson who is an UFA next year, IIRC, 30 something Rodney who is coming off a tough injury and has slowed down, Samuel who is franchised and probably won't be here next year....who else do they have? Some castoffs at safety. Hobbes is pretty good. Sanders is OK. I'd say they need another safety and CB at least.

Openings at LB, sure, they will draft a couple although they seem to like to pick them up as FAs instead.

WR? Dime a dozen and the top picked guys always seem to bust.

We have one DB I like for 2008. Hobbs.

Harrison - may be retired by then.
Wilson - UFA.
Samuel - 20% raise over his $8M or UFA.
Hawkins - JAG.
Scott - JAG.
Sanders - JAG+.

Oh, and Gay, he's OK but let's see if he can make it through a season.

Last edited:
We have one DB I like for 2008. Hobbs.

Harrison - may be retired by then.
Wilson - UFA.
Samuel - 20% raise over his $8M or UFA.
Hawkins - JAG.
Scott - JAG.
Sanders - JAG+.

Oh, and Gay, he's OK but let's see if he can make it through a season.

I like Sanders and Hobbs as starters in 2008. The other positions are wide open though. After seeing the Nate Clements deal, Samuel could get messy. I can't see us agreeing terms with him and I don't see him politely accepting the season tagged. I think we'll draft a couple of corners, and trade Asante if we like how they progress through the summer.

Hasn't the Notre Dame secondary been their achillies heel?
Their defense has been the weaker of the two units. BB talks about the complimentary nature of front seven's impact on the secondary, I'm not proficient enough to say which component deserved the lion's share of the blame. I will say how I'd celebrate if Indy or Pit drafted Zibikowski (sp?). As for Richardson, I saw him make the odd good play. Using the ranking system PATSNUTMe is using for his draft game thread, Richardson is a UDFA, with a CB draft class that doesn't wow me in the least, the price is right.

As for Richardson, I saw him make the odd good play. Using the ranking system PATSNUTMe is using for his draft game thread, Richardson is a UDFA, with a CB draft class that doesn't wow me in the least, the price is right.

OK, and I'd say so....

Houston has been compared to fellow Arkansas alumni Ahmad Carrol quite a bit lately. BB didn't bite on Carrol when the Packers dumped him so if the comparisons are legit, I haven't seen enough to decide, then I doubt he'll be on our draft board.

Houston has been compared to fellow Arkansas alumni Ahmad Carrol quite a bit lately. BB didn't bite on Carrol when the Packers dumped him so if the comparisons are legit, I haven't seen enough to decide, then I doubt he'll be on our draft board.

Only comparison I can see Has been done by those same "experts" who are comparing Thomas to Robert Gallery, Jarrett to Williams, etc... I'm still waiting for someone to compare Rice to all those other Spurrior fun'n'gun Florida receivers.

Only comparison I can see Has been done by those same "experts" who are comparing Thomas to Robert Gallery, Jarrett to Williams, etc... I'm still waiting for someone to compare Rice to all those other Spurrior fun'n'gun Florida receivers.

Normally I'd write it off to that too but I've read it in more than one spot and in particular the NFL Draft Scout profile that the NFL is using on their site. They are a very respected source.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/houston_chris

Compares to: Ahmad Carroll, Jacksonville. -- You have to wonder if history is repeating itself here. Both are excellent athletes with good speed and great strength, but their power is negated by their reluctance to lend support vs. the run. Houston has good leaping ability and timing, but his poor hands have seen several potential interceptions turn into pass deflections. Like Carroll, Houston sometimes looks lost when it comes to play recognition, resulting in seven pass-interference calls in 2006. They talk about Houston holding Tennessee's Robert Meachem to only two catches, but one was good for a touchdown. Ball-concentration problems were evident when he failed to secure the ball properly and fumbled an interception in the Mississippi State game. Yes, he did hold Southern Cal's Dwayne Jarrett to 35 yards on five catches, but the Trojans were breaking in a new quarterback at the time. We have to wonder if the real Chris Houston is the one who was getting constantly turned around by Sidney Rice and crew in the South Carolina game (10 passes caught vs. Houston). Time will tell, but after Green Bay's fiasco with Carroll, "buyer beware" when looking at a similar cornerback.

I agree with this...If the Merriweather check out....Most of our secondary is getting up there in age....Who to say if Asante is even here next year...

What nonsense. Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Wilson and Sanders are five starters all in their mid twenties. Hawkins is still under thirty as is Mitchell. Andrews is a ST find, and he is one year our of college too.

What you really meant is that we have ONE secondary player is is older; He also has two experienced starters standing in line to take his job... (Sanders Hawkins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots