PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats dodged a bullet in Heap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
...although they may need to literally dodge some bullets with Plaxico.

I was not really concerned with the Jets being close to Asomugha, as I thought he would just cripple their ability to sign other players; nor am a I worried about Burress, as I see him as an Edwards replacement worst-case scenario. However, I think the Jets really let go of a good potential signing by losing out on Todd Heap today. Heap would have given them the ability to run 2-TE sets, and you can be that Tannenbaum would be copying the Pats gameplans, as well as putting Heap-Keller in practice every day to prepare for it. Heap has great hands and athleticism; I saw about six Ravens game last year, and I thought he was really the key to that offense. I'm shocked they let him go. Keller-Heap would have been a huge headache to defend, as the Pats don't really have the personnel to shut that down (not many teams do.)

This is the first time this offseason a potential signing from a rival has made me quiver a bit. When I heard they were bringing him in, I though we could be in trouble.

Considering Heap's contract was only about as much as Plaxico's, in my opinion, the Jets would have made a much bigger impact with Heap, although they would have had to forego the sizzling headlines and attention that comes along with signing a felon away from a city rival. If Burress is the best the Jets get at WR, then I can confidently say the Patriots' 3rd WR is better than the Jets 2nd WR, and if Hernandez lines up in 4 WR sets, then you could go even further.

Last edited:
You make a convincing argument.

And unlike last time the Pats played Burress, they have a CB who is 6-1, not 5-10.

And unlike last time the Pats played Burress, they have a CB who is 6-1, not 5-10.

Of course many of us would rather see Burress line up against our current CB who is 5'11" rather than the one who is 6'1," but that will be left for the NYJ to decide with how they line up.

I got this news on my phone hours ago. Heap owned us in Baltimore and if he had become a JET we would have been screwed w/ keller and heap . The WR's would be open all day b/c of them.

Plaxico is of no consequence

time to LOLxD @ the NYJ's FO and Fans:rocker:

I love TanenBUM :yeeha::rofl::woot:

Last edited:
...although they may need to literally dodge some bullets with Plaxico.

I was not really concerned with the Jets being close to Asomugha, as I thought he would just cripple their ability to sign other players; nor am a I worried about Burress, as I see him as an Edwards replacement worst-case scenario. However, I think the Jets really let go of a good potential signing by losing out on Todd Heap today. Heap would have given them the ability to run 2-TE sets, and you can be that Tannenbaum would be copying the Pats gameplans, as well as putting Heap-Keller in practice every day to prepare for it. Heap has great hands and athleticism; I saw about six Ravens game last year, and I thought he was really the key to that offense. I'm shocked they let him go. Keller-Heap would have been a huge headache to defend, as the Pats don't really have the personnel to shut that down (not many teams do.)

This is the first time this offseason a potential signing from a rival has made me quiver a bit. When I heard they were bringing him in, I though we could be in trouble.

Considering Heap's contract was only about as much as Plaxico's, in my opinion, the Jets would have made a much bigger impact with Heap, although they would have had to forego the sizzling headlines and attention that comes along with signing a felon away from a city rival. If Burress is the best the Jets get at WR, then I can confidently say the Patriots' 3rd WR is better than the Jets 2nd WR, and if Hernandez lines up in 4 WR sets, then you could go even further.

I was concerned about Asomuagh, I won't lie. In that same token, I would rather see Cromartie sign somewhere else too. I thought that Cromartie did a pretty nice job over there, and would love to see him gone. I do think he'll end up re-signing there though.

The potential of the Heap/Keller combo would not have made them any worse, that's for sure.

It'll be interesting to see who the NYJ line Burress up on, as personally I'd rather it be DMcC rather than Bodden, as I think that DMcC's skills playing the ball at the right point against taller WR's is exceptional, although many will probably disagree and want to see him on Holmes. I think Bodden could do a fine job on Holmes myself. My guess is that the Jets will try both guys in various instances.

I was very happy to hear that he decided to go with the Cardinals.

I didn't bat an eye either way. Heap is injury prone and may not have lasted until week 6. Very few teams can run 2 TE's consistently because they don't have the personal,coaching or a QB that feels comfortable doing it. In this case the Jets only had 1 of the 3 requirements.

The way I see it, Heap dodged a bullet in not having to face Meriweather twice a year. ;)

The way I see it, Heap dodged a bullet in not having to face Meriweather twice a year. ;)

So true. I doubt what happened last year was something they'd build a friendship over. Meriweather killed him.

I was very happy to hear that he decided to go with the Cardinals.

Better QB that's for sure a better WR in Fitzy Hightower got traded do I sense Braylon Edwards coming in? Yes I do.

edit- not to mention EASIER division Than AFCE

Last edited:
.although they may need to literally dodge some bullets with Plaxico.

i burst out laughing at this.

The Jets should have kept Edwards and signed Heap. The Jets haven't kept Edwards (thus far) and didn't sign Heap = winning.

And unlike last time the Pats played him, the person covering him wont be at 3/4 health with a torn groin.

It's always good to see competent, true football players not land with our divisional rivals. TE's are one of those positions that can develop into safety valves for quarterbacks, young qb's especially.

Looks like charisma (of Rex) and offseason hype don't mean everything to free agents. Heaven forbid the Jets develop some of their players internally rather than rely on imports and first rounders.

While on the subject of TE's, from watching #88 and #80 in practice today, they look fairly competent. I can't judge with my acursed layman's eyes, but they don't look out of place, even when matched up with the one's.

It was funny. In practice at one point, Yeatman was lined up at WR.

I wonder of he'll be able to stay healthy over the course of the season, it's been a problem for him, which has been a shame.

Whatever happened to every player in the league wanting to play for Rex Ryan? The Jets have courted Heap, Chris Carr, Nnamdi Asomugha, and James Jones and all of them have signed elsewhere. The Jets had Adam Sanders call Asomugha and Rex Ryan personally picked up Heap at the airport with no avail.

The only free agent they have convinced to sign is Plaxico (ok and the return of Donald Strickland) and they had to give Plaxico a guranteed contract to come to play for them.

I guess the allure of playing for Ryan isn't nearly as attractive as the media and the Jets fans make it out to be. Players aren't willing to take less to play for Ryan.

I wonder of he'll be able to stay healthy over the course of the season, it's been a problem for him, which has been a shame.

He's actually only missed something like 3 games over the last 3 seasons. He had gone through a rough patch there but seems to have come through it.

I am glad Jets didn't get him. Wonder if they look at a Kevin Boss now or God forbid Zach Miller.

Whatever happened to every player in the league wanting to play for Rex Ryan? The Jets have courted Heap, Chris Carr, Nnamdi Asomugha, and James Jones and all of them have signed elsewhere. The Jets had Adam Sanders call Asomugha and Rex Ryan personally picked up Heap at the airport with no avail.

The only free agent they have convinced to sign is Plaxico (ok and the return of Donald Strickland) and they had to give Plaxico a guranteed contract to come to play for them.

I guess the allure of playing for Ryan isn't nearly as attractive as the media and the Jets fans make it out to be. Players aren't willing to take less to play for Ryan.

Okay, to be fair, there haven't been a ton of FA's beating at the Pats door like yesteryear either. Kraft, himself, went hard at Jason Taylor last offseason . . . only to watch him sign with the team he said he'd never play for . . . a team coached by Ryan. Peppers opted for Chicago after all the talk of how interested the Pats were in signing him. Those are just two high-profile players that chose to go elsewhere knowing that NE was highly interested. I'm not flaming you, as you're one of the members I have a great deal of respect for. I'm merely saying sh*t happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye