Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it's an interesting article:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7050132

1. New England (7)

For years, Bill Belichick's defense has been built around linebackers. Those days are over, and by far the best unit on this defense is the defensive line. Richard Seymour is an extraordinary football player, but a season ago, he became invisible at times. Fortunately, fellow starters Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork rose to elite levels. According to Adjusted Line Yards, the Patriots were the second-best team preventing runs behind the offensive right tackle, runs which go right at Warren. Wilfork has joined the short list of outstanding nose tackles, the type of player who can completely change a game without making a single tackle.

Last edited:
Re: Pats D Line Voted tops in the NFL

Warren is one of the top 10 defensive players in football... put him behind Ed Reed, Shawne Merriman, Champ Bailey, Julius Peppers, Brian Urlacher, Jason Taylor, Kevin Williams, and that might be it.

Warren had a breakout season, and he's made steady progress after a solid rookie year - but let's get ahold of ourselves. Top 10???? I'd like to see him dominate for one more season.

it's a beauty to have with us players like Seymour, Wilfork and Warren; wow...

Warren is one of the top 10 defensive players in football... put him behind Ed Reed, Shawne Merriman, Champ Bailey, Julius Peppers, Brian Urlacher, Jason Taylor, Kevin Williams, and that might be it.

...your kidding right

hes not even the best D player on our team. its still Seymour. 1 year wont change it

...your kidding right

hes not even the best D player on our team. its still Seymour. 1 year wont change it

No, I'm not. Warren was better than Seymour last year and just as good the year before. I'd definitely put him in the top 10.

Sort of off topic, but if you guys could go back to the Draft Wilfork was selected and pick him or Steven Jackson who would you pick? I say this only because it was the belief of many that we were going to select Jackson, mostly because no one dreamed of Wilfork falling that far. I think that that was the year we also traded for Dillon so many would so it would be a non-issue, however if I recall we almost traded up to select Kevin Jones before Detroit did. Of course this was only speculation.

I for one would still select Wilfork because a mediocre RB is fairly easy to pick off the waiver wire, but a proven NT is as stated in the article can be counted on one hand.

Sort of off topic, but if you guys could go back to the Draft Wilfork was selected and pick him or Steven Jackson who would you pick? I say this only because it was the belief of many that we were going to select Jackson, mostly because no one dreamed of Wilfork falling that far. I think that that was the year we also traded for Dillon so many would so it would be a non-issue, however if I recall we almost traded up to select Kevin Jones before Detroit did. Of course this was only speculation.

I for one would still select Wilfork because a mediocre RB is fairly easy to pick off the waiver wire, but a proven NT is as stated in the article can be counted on one hand.

I wouldn't exactly call Jackson "mediocre". He is a very good back and I would be pleased if Maroney becomes as good as SJ is now. It isn't that cut and dry right now, but I would probably give Wilfork the edge right now.

No, I'm not. Warren was better than Seymour last year and just as good the year before. I'd definitely put him in the top 10.

Warren was not as good as Seymour was in 2005, but he was better than Seymour last year.

That said, I am of the opinion that Seymour was beat up in 2006 much worse that most fans realize.

Don't try telling this to Miami fans.

I wouldn't exactly call Jackson "mediocre". He is a very good back and I would be pleased if Maroney becomes as good as SJ is now. It isn't that cut and dry right now, but I would probably give Wilfork the edge right now.

He wasn't calling Jackson mediocre. He was referring to the ability to replace Wilfork or Jackson due to drafting the other. It's easy to pick up a mediocre RB if you draft Wilfork, and much harder to find a NT if you draft Jackson.

I agree. I'd love Stephen Jackson on this team, but not at the expense of Wilfork.

I've been hard on Seymour, but only because I know how awesome he can be. His performance in 2003 was worthy of NFL DPOY. Although he was outplayed by Warren in 2006, made the mistake of cosying up to Borges, made some critical comments of the Pats in the press, and has had durability issues, I believe Seymour is on the verge of an All-Pro campaign. By all reports he showed up in tremendous shape for mini-camp, and his pride was hurt by some of the criticism he received both locally and in SI from Dr. Z. If Seymour, Warren and Big Vince play up to their potential, this will be the most dominating D-line since the Eagles suited up R. White and Jerome Brown.

its kind of hard playing with a huge brace on your whole arm you know

ImgDyn.cfm

First, let's not knock too hard on Seymour. Aside from baing banged up recently, Seymour draws constant double teams. While he may be invisible on the stat line, Seymour's effective containment of two blockers opens things up for Warren and Wilfork to dominante. Don't forget that the line struggled when Seymour was out vs. the Jets in November.

Second, at is about f@#&ing time that some media source ranks the New England defensive line over San Diego's. I was going to vomit in my mouth the next time I saw someone rank Castillo/Williams/Olshansky over Seymour/Wilfork/Warren.

ridiculous. And I LOVE Warren.

First, let's not knock too hard on Seymour. Aside from baing banged up recently, Seymour draws constant double teams. While he may be invisible on the stat line, Seymour's effective containment of two blockers opens things up for Warren and Wilfork to dominante. Don't forget that the line struggled when Seymour was out vs. the Jets in November.

Second, at is about f@#&ing time that some media source ranks the New England defensive line over San Diego's. I was going to vomit in my mouth the next time I saw someone rank Castillo/Williams/Olshansky over Seymour/Wilfork/Warren.

wasnt it Warren who missed the Jets game?

ridiculous. And I LOVE Warren.

Weren't people calling Warren a bust pick a few years ago.

:bricks:

Weren't people calling Warren a bust pick a few years ago.

:bricks:

people around here call everyone busts if they dont have a great rookie year.

people around here call everyone busts if they dont have a great rookie year.

-signed, Chad Jackson.

-signed, Chad Jackson.

some people are even question Maroney...Watson.

Watson is a inconsistent but hes a huge reason why are offense did well last year

Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork are UMOs (unmoveable objects.) Richard Seymour is one of the best DEs in the league, I can't argue with this ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes