PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Defensive and Offensive Rankings Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wretch

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I took a look at the stats today and I am wondering if the Pats defensive struggles are schematic, personnel, or a product of the teams they have faced.

3 of the team the Pats have played are in the top 10 of the league in total yards, Chargers, Raiders and Bills. Miami is 16th. All of the teams in question have elite offensive players, Rivers and Jackson (SD), Marshall (Miami), Johnson (Buf) and McFadden (Oak).

My question to the board is this are we, as fans too worried that the Pats D is giving up so many yards considering who the Pats have played?

If the answer is no what are the culprits?

I personally believe its a combination of factors, lack of secondary depth, new personnel adapting to a new scheme and to some extent injuries on the DL and now at LB. However the more I look at the Pats opponents and the stats I do wonder if we, as fans, are over reacting when we consider the quality of the offenses the Pats have played.

On the flip side of this the Pats have faced only 1 top 10 defense, SD. Is the Pats offensive prowess overstated?

Last edited:
Re: Pats Defensive and Defensive Rankings Questions

Three of the teams the Pats have played are in the top 10 of the league in total yards because they played the Patriots.

Last edited:

I am troubled by the defensive stats that have been given, but am encouraged by the 3-1 record... that is all that counts.

When we get some of these guys healthy and we play with a full compliment in a system they are used to then it will be easier to assess.

These stats mean little except for mediot talking points, lets see what things look like in the second week of November..

Three of the teams the Pats have played are in the top 10 of the league in total yards because they played the Patriots.

LOL. The truth hurts. What struck me during the game, though, is how many young guys we have out there, particularly in the secondary. And we've been bit bad by the injury bug. They really only gave up 13 points when it mattered (although the last TD drive by the Raiders was maddening!) and they were pretty much able to contain McFadden, which Big Vince said was the goal of the game. I still have hopes that the D is young and in flux because of injuries and will get better as the season goes on, while our O continues to play lights out. I would give up on the Haynesworth experiment, though. He is a waste of a roster spot.

I don't care about yardage stats. They are overrated. In 2001, the Pats defense was 24th in points allowed giving up 334.5 YPG. The Pats won the Super Bowl that year.

The Pats are 20th in points allowed. That is the stat I care about. Twentieth isn't good enough, but it is far better than the yardage stats.

BB still thinks it's 1986 .. just sayn..

The stat rankings have some meaning, but the logic of each game is such in the NFL that stats can easily be skewed. Besides this, our bend but don't break defense means we will never top the defense charts... and yet be favored in every game we play.

I took a look at the stats today and I am wondering if the Pats defensive struggles are schematic, personnel, or a product of the teams they have faced.

3 of the team the Pats have played are in the top 10 of the league in total yards, Chargers, Raiders and Bills. Miami is 16th. All of the teams in question have elite offensive players, Rivers and Jackson (SD), Marshall (Miami), Johnson (Buf) and McFadden (Oak).

My question to the board is this are we, as fans too worried that the Pats D is giving up so many yards considering who the Pats have played?

If the answer is no what are the culprits?

I personally believe its a combination of factors, lack of secondary depth, new personnel adapting to a new scheme and to some extent injuries on the DL and now at LB. However the more I look at the Pats opponents and the stats I do wonder if we, as fans, are over reacting when we consider the quality of the offenses the Pats have played.

On the flip side of this the Pats have faced only 1 top 10 defense, SD. Is the Pats offensive prowess overstated?

yards is a more or less useless metric in evaluating a defense in the modern NFL

it truly comes down to points allowed & opponents red zone efficiency

the pats points allowed is high.....i expect that to drop as the defense gets healthier and they get used to the new scheme

they are already solid in opponents red zone efficiency

people whine about the defense....but this team is 4-0 if brady doesn't chuck 4 picks against buffalo (and i'm not going to ***** about brady, by any means)

there's maybe two decent tough defenses in the AFC right now....baltimore and houston.....both teams are good (watch out for houston), but are they better teams than the patriots overall? we'll see....

even supposed "great" defenses are getting points hung on them this year....no OTA's, no contact in practice hurts....add in a new scheme, and the injuries the Pats have, and you see a 3-1 work in progress

the only two real concerns i have with this defense are health and safety play....pats only have on nfl caliber safety, and he's better vs. the run than in coverage

Its a combination of all 3.They dont get no push on the defensive line.No pass rushing moves at all.I would killed to have DEs who can get to the QB.I wish the vikings would deal Jared Allen.They are going nowhere.I would give them a first rounder and a second.Whateva it takes.

who cares about Def stats...Pats are 3-1 and there is a good chance next week they will reclaim the top spot in the East

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

Its a combination of all 3.They dont get no push on the defensive line.No pass rushing moves at all.I would killed to have DEs who can get to the QB.I wish the vikings would deal Jared Allen.They are going nowhere.I would give them a first rounder and a second.Whateva it takes.

they get plenty of push.....the collapsed the pocket on campbell quite a bit yesterday, and they contained the run quite well.....plenty of stops at or behind the line

sacks are a nice stat at contract time, but in no way shape or form are they (always) indicative of pass rush or defensive line play

you have a line like chicago's, or a beat up line like the jets or steelers and you'll give up sacks....but a defensive front does not HAVE to generate sacks to generate pressure

Are u kidding me?You call that a rush?I am not asking for sacks.I am asking for the QB to be uncomfortable.

Are u kidding me?You call that a rush?I am not asking for sacks.I am asking for the QB to be uncomfortable.

did you watch yesterday? or just listening to EEI all day?

considering the unit they had out there yesterday, i had no real issue with the D-line play - they game planned to stop dmac first, which they mostly did (one big run and yet he was still way under his season average), and pressure campbell.....he was flushed and hit well, and they only failed to contain him on one run

You've already shown that you don't understand that Campbell wasn't comfortable in the pocket yesterday. There is no sense in talking about it further because you refuse to listen.

Campbell played like Campbell.This team was opportunistic in creating turnovers.They got a huge gift from campbell with the int.The bottom line is that the raiders where in pats territory for much of the game.Its a joke!

Campbell played like Campbell.This team was opportunistic in creating turnovers.They got a huge gift from campbell with the int.The bottom line is that the raiders where in pats territory for much of the game.Its a joke!

yawn....another fan that learned all he knows from madden....nice

Too many homers on his board.This defense has gotten worse under BB.They have become the colts of the 90s.

Hey yukon u really sipping on that Kool-aid huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots