Welcome to PatsFans.com

PATs defense too much for Culpepper?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JR4, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -2

Media are hyping a Miami take over of the AFCE.
    Here is one guy not buying it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5709190

This is what I have felt for some time. Last time
    Belichick faced Culpepper ( with Moss no less ) he
    wasn't a factor. I believe it will be the same this year.

2. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

(see #2) Does anyone remember that Vinatieri missed a very important kick in Denver this year? Those SB kicks were huge, but this one REALLY mattered b/c we could have cut the deficit to 8 points. It was arguably the 2nd-most crucial kick in his playoff career (snow bowl kick of course is #1).

3. Welker83

Welker83 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tom brady has some of his worst games agains the fins and the statistics prove it... BUT he's still 6-4 vs the fins... the game does not come down to a single player...

4. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

I feel relatively confident that one of our losses will be to the Dolphins this year. I think we will go 14-2 or 13-3 based on our schedule which is pretty soft especially if you compare it to last year's.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  5. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -2

But Culpepper is not just any one player ... he is the QB ... a very important
    part of winning ... especially against the PATs.

The reason for the Culpepper debate is that many think he is the missing
    link so as to say ... the piece of the puzzle that was missing. That is why
    many media guys are buying into the idea Miami an unseat the AFCE champs.
    The biggest supposed offseason move Fins made is the QB position ... other
    than that what have they done to improve? Especially improve their offense?
    Williams is gone ... some say that is a good thing ... well it's up to Ronnie
    to make it so. New coorindators who weren't in Sabans system last year.

If Miami is to be much better than last year ... then it must come from
    Culpepper ... and his history against Belichick is not too promising , not too
    mention his health problem, yet the media hype goes on.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  6. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Right you are - if you take a look at Brady's performances against the Fins and the Broncos you'll find they are very similar. I'd say he's played 2 good games out of 10 against Miami and only 1 out of 5 against Denver. The records (6-4 vs. 1-4) don't reflect that though.

Brady's Pats, on average, have put up nearly as many points against Denver (19.8) as Miami (20.2) - it's our DEFENSE that has made the difference against the Fins, giving up an average of 18.9 ppg opposed to 27.2 ppg against Denver. With the exception of this year's playoff game, our D doesn't do so well against the Broncos, and even then they racked up 27 off our mistakes.

The 3 'good' games combined against Denver and Miami all happened to be road victories, the only road victories Brady has against these teams. Brady MUST play well in Denver and Miami in order to win whereas at home, the D is typically better and will give up less points, so he can be less than stellar and still come out on top. I can say that more for Miami than Denver since we rarely play the Broncos in Foxboro. My gut tells me Brady will have to play very well in order to beat Denver this September, and I believe he can and he will :)

7. AllabouttheVinces

AllabouttheVinces Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It depends. Who's gonna show up? The Culpepper who threw for 6 TDs and 12 Ints in 2005, or the one who threw for 39 TDs, only 11 Ints and 4,700 yds in 2004. Don't sell this guy short. He's never thrown for fewer than 60% in his career, even if he was playing against weak Detroit and Green Bay defenses the last few years.

If healthy, he's a stud. He could be one of the most significant offseason veteran acquisitions of the year. When the Pats play in the Miami heat, we'll have our hands full.

8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,892 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

Brady himself has stated that Miami's D gives him fits. Aside from Jason Taylor and excellent pass coverage, I believe part of it is mental. If we were to win another SB, he has to improve his personal performance at least against Denver and probably against Miami in order to get a good playoff seed. I'm interested in analysis that folks here have that shows just how Miami and Denvah are able to flummox Brady time and again.

9. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

'DREW BLEDSOE GOES TO BUFFALO'

Culpepper will look great out of the box and win some games. He'll beat the Pats or come damn close the first time they play. The media will crap themselves with joy that they can finally predict the end of the Pats.

The second time the Pats play Miami, they show the league how to completely shut down Culpepper and Miami's offense.

From then on, Culpepper comes back down to earth. He probably will already have made the 'Pro Bowl' . But it won't matter come playoff time.

I still have to wonder how much attention people pay to Culpepper. He turns the ball over more than any other Q.B. in NFL history by fumbling it. I don't care how many interceptions he has if he is simply going to drop the ball on the ground!

He has NEVER EVER played good under pressure. I used to cheer for the Vikings every week because I hate Green Bay and The Bears.

We are not underestimating this guy by doubting that he is an elite Q.B. Those are the facts if you have watched the many ups and downs of his career, like the times he was benched and booed in his own stadium and Gus Ferotte came in and had three touchdown passes to Moss.

10. 5 Rings for Brady!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patswickedpissah:

Miami does not currently own Brady like they did in the past. The same thing that made Miami good against other teams made them good against the Pats. Pass rush and really, really tight cornerback coverage. Both of these elements will continue to diminish unless Miami finds a younger Jason Taylor and Surtain and Madison. The skill players on the Pats never could run the ball or get open against the Fins, and Brady wasn't protected well.

Plus the edge that Miami got by confidence and feeling like they have Brady's number.

The Broncos win because Mike Shannahan is good at picking apart Belichick's 'read and react' two gap defense. The Pats struggle to stop Denver. I think that Shannahan has a field day cutting apart Belichick's style of gap control defense. He knows how to game plan the Pats. The Broncos struggle more against a fast pace defense like Miami, but if the Pats players are going to stand around at the line of scrimmage and wait for the play to develop, it just does not seem to work against the Broncos.

Brady has shown the ability to score against the Broncos far easier than against Miami, when his recievers are getting open or he has a decent running game. The times he plays the Broncos and the whole team is clicking, they have had close games. The playoff game last year was wide open before the refs shut the door.

Plus the confidence thing, they don't fear the Pats.

11. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's a great analysis. Pittsburgh's D in the AFCCG really neutralized Denver, and I believe our effort in the playoffs gives us hope in future matchups.

If we have a reliable running game this year, we won't have to put it all on Brady's shoulders against Miami or Denver.

12. 5 Rings for Brady!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A real simple way of describing the Pats playing two gap defense against Denver: It is easier to cut block a stationary D-Lineman.

13. Chevagus

Chevagus On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If this is the 2002 game I don't see how you can say DC was not a factor. 24/49 for 272 yards, 2 TDs and 1 turnover. Those are pretty good numbers.

14. 5 Rings for Brady!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chevagus: I have the 2002 Vikings-Pats game on tape. Culpepper fumbled the ball 3 times while bumbling around in the pocket or scrambling at the line of scrimmage. His second touchdown was at the end of the game. The Pats Defense was 30th in the league that year. Brady easily could have wrapped the game up early, but his rookie wide recievers and tight end kept dropping easy passes. The wind was so fierce that the Pats couldn't kick field goals when they had the chance.

Would you like a copy of the tape?

Honestly, folks, have these Dolphins fans followed Culpepper's career? The guy is a major choker. I wanted Vikings to beat up on Green Bay and the Bears, but normally they choked. I don't care what Culpepper's stats are in games against bad defenses, it doesn't matter.

15. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

good post my friend! I can't stand the Dolphins hype. The only reason they are so hyped up is because of A. Culpepper B. They are coming off a 6 game winning streak C. They beat the Pats at home when the home team took out all their starters in the second half, yet the "experts" still count that as a legit win. Pats will the own the 'phins again this year and the rest of the AFC East.

16. I'm Ron Borges?

I'm Ron Borges? On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think the Dolphins are in the Patriots league quite yet. I think Saban needs a couple more jailbirds and drug addicts before they reach that point.

17. 5 Rings for Brady!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Borges-didn't you mean to say 'Wife Beaters'?

18. I'm Ron Borges?

I'm Ron Borges? On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sorry, they have so many thugs on that team, it's hard to keep track of their rap sheet. I just assumed if I mentioned any crime, they would have a player on their roster guilty of committing it.

19. Chevagus

Chevagus On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You should come down from your soap box. The wind would have affected both sides and with the Pats jumping out to a 21 point lead everyone knew the Vikings would only be throwing the ball but yet Culpepper still put up good numbers. BTW, your run defense was last in the league in 2002 but you had the 11th ranked pass defense which Culpepper played well against despite the Patriots knowing he would have to pass and despite the fact NE could bring the house without fearing the run. Also, the 2d TD came at the very beginning of the 4th quarter not in garbage time, which sounds like what your alluding to.

Yes, Culpepper fumbles. Thanks for rehashing a known fact. It's been the main point of criticism for DC and he's going to have to figure that out if he wants to be successful. But the thread starter commented how DC was not a significant factor in the game, it's obvious he was.

20. 5 Rings for Brady!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Culpepper was a very significant factor in the game, he helped give it away early. And only Brady's rookie group of wide-outs kept the game from really getting out of hand. The wind kept the Pats from kicking some field goals, and didn't keep the Vikings from doing anything as I remember, be that as it may.

Culpepper will go to the probowl next year because everybody wants to see the Pats go down. But he will also be exposed by the Pats late in the season, and the pecking order in the division will resume for a few more seasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.