PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats defense: Less complicated game plan leads to improved results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats defense:Less complicated game plan leads to improved results

I will never say it's "concerning" when we give up 10 points and generally play solid D, especially given how often they had to go right back out there when the offense sputtered.

Now, if you want to say this doesn't change your mind about the defense because it wasn't a great offense, that's totally different, but honestly what do you expect? That we're going to shut out every bad team or we're a bad defense?

I was not trying to say that the defense played bad at all. I thought they played one of their better games of the season. Yes, playing against the Panthers offense probably had something to do with it, but still you cant help who you play each week, you just have to get the job done and the Pats D did yesterday.

What I am saying is that teams we play in the playoffs are going to have better offenses with more options than the Panthers have so maybe the more simplfied approach wont work because those offenses will have more weapons and we will need to have more than a simple approach.

The defense is bad. Even Bill will probably admit that in private. Giving up near 400 yards to Henne and Kyle Orton is concerning. Did you see defense getting blown out by Colts and Saints? It is as easy as taking candies from babies. Soft D.

Never said it wasn't. Even though most statistics point to it being a middle of the pack defense, I won't deny that the eyes can tell a different story.

What I'm saying is, there was nothing in this particular game to indicate that. This game was not concerning. It doesn't make them better than they are, but I'm giving them credit for a good performance yesterday, regardless of opponent.

I was not trying to say that the defense played bad at all. I thought they played one of their better games of the season. Yes, playing against the Panthers offense probably had something to do with it, but still you cant help who you play each week, you just have to get the job done and the Pats D did yesterday.

What I am saying is that teams we play in the playoffs are going to have better offenses with more options than the Panthers have so maybe the more simplfied approach wont work because those offenses will have more weapons and we will need to have more than a simple approach.

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess the real question is, can this group HANDLE a more complicated defense? With so many rookies and new faces, it may be too much to ask for them to do anything too exotic.

If the offense was clicking on all cylinders, simple would be fine, because it would at least limit any (or most opponents) and we could rely on the O to win the games. As it is, we don't have that luxury. Tough spot to be in.

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess the real question is, can this group HANDLE a more complicated defense? With so many rookies and new faces, it may be too much to ask for them to do anything too exotic.

If the offense was clicking on all cylinders, simple would be fine, because it would at least limit any (or most opponents) and we could rely on the O to win the games. As it is, we don't have that luxury. Tough spot to be in.

I agree. I dont think this defense can handle a more complicated defense. I think that with the way they have played all season long we should be please with what they have done. Coming into the season we knew that the offensive would have to lead this team and win games for us. The defense certainly hasnt lost many games for us. The problem this year is the offense not producing to what they are capable of. Scoring 20 points against the Panthers is unacceptable with the types of weapons they have.

The defense only gave up 10 points because carolina's QB is not NFL ready.

Their were guys open all over the place that he was missing. Not to mention the few times he did connect, their guys weren't that good, and had drops. Smith, and their RBs are their playmakers. And Smith was killing us, and the Pats D did an OK job on their RBs, but Deangelo Williams, still had to have 4 runs of 15 yard or more. So I wouldn't say teh PAts shut down the Panthers running game.

Their defense still gets no pressure on the QB, the Dline is the reason why the Pats D has suffered this year.

The Pats Dline always covered up secondary issues and LB issues. Now that their Dline is so mediocre, the LB and secondary issues are glarring.

And the Pats offense doesn't score enough to win in shootouts. The Pats have 3 weeks to fix this issue, or they are 1 and done in the playoffs. If they even get in.

I don't have a solution, their personnel is just not that talented. I am not going to say wait til next year cause once your in, any team can find its way, and go on a roll.

2005 Steelers, 2006 Indy, 2007 Giants, and 2008 Steelers. Were all flawed teams who looked dead down the stretch, only to catch lightening in a bottle. They also happen to be the last 4 SB winners. So I don't rule anything out anything, but hoping for the Pats to catch this roll, is just me hoping as a fan, and all evidence leads to the opposite direction.

Last edited:

I thought the defense played with heart. Sure they have physical limitations (and in Meriweather's case, mental), and the Panthers have more, but they were tough and aggressive. It was a step up for the defense. Now, we need to see the same from the offense.

They were playing defense against a QB who should be stocking shelves at Wal-Mart. Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

The biggest flaw is the 10 yard out. They give them up pretty much uncontested. Orton of Denver must have completed 20 of them. They just don't stop it. Until they fix that somehow (maybe by actually having a pass rush instead of just providing lumps for OL to rest their arms on), they are SCREWED! BIG TIME.

This thinking makes ZERO sense.

You don't "dominate" great offenses. Do you really think some defense is going to dominate NO into scoring 10 points?

The point is to limit great offenses.

the jets did hold the saints to 10 points on O this year

the pats dont have a good D they just don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes