PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats defense: Less complicated game plan leads to improved results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats defense:Less complicated game plan leads to improved results

Did someone really say that the defensive gameplan made a difference? Did someone say that Springs and Sanders made a difference?

Our Defense looked better because that was a simplified offense we were playing. Sorry but that Carolina offense SUCKS. They got 1 WR who they have trouble getting the ball to week in and week out so its easier to scheme against DeAngelo Williams and Stewart.

Count me in for a wait and see approach with this D. I want to see us dominate a good offense.

Our Defense looked better because that was a simplified offense we were playing. Sorry but that Carolina offense SUCKS. They got 1 WR who they have trouble getting the ball to week in and week out so its easier to scheme against DeAngelo Williams and Stewart.

Count me in for a wait and see approach with this D. I want to see us dominate a good offense.

Agreed. Any decent QB is going to rip the defense a new one. Heck, even Chad Henne did

i give of on wanting to see this D dominate even a bad offense i just wanna see them get a win on the road ve the bills who will open it up a lot more then they did week 1

T.O, evens. and maybe the pats wont have wilfork to stop the screens with fred jackson

wow i can't rember the last time i looked at the pats schedule in december and seen a 5-8 team and did not know if the pats can beat them lol

Crennel simplified the defense when he first arrived, to good effect.

But this sounds even more drastic, as if for one game BB and Pees made it impossible for the guys to blow assignments, so as to get them back in a better flow.

This defense is alright, that's about it. Besides the Saints game they've been exactly that.. just alright. Mediocre. Average. Blah.

I want to see the defense turn the tide in some games. Make some big plays, completely demoralize the other team. I'm tired of only seeing turnovers in blowouts or against Sanchez caliber QBs.

Last edited:

Sure it was more simplified, but IMO players are able to stop thinking and just go full out. That's what I saw yesterday - less thinking and more doing. I've heard a lot of people around here whine about how our defense sits back and reacts to the offense. Well, though it may be simpler, can we at least try letting our D make the opposing offense react? Sure, Carolina isn't nearly the best team we've played, but we can at least say that the defense played very well today regardless.

Sure it was more simplified, but IMO players are able to stop thinking and just go full out. That's what I saw yesterday - less thinking and more doing. I've heard a lot of people around here whine about how our defense sits back and reacts to the offense. Well, though it may be simpler, can we at least try letting our D make the opposing offense react? Sure, Carolina isn't nearly the best team we've played, but we can at least say that the defense played very well today regardless.

When you're handed some bad field position and still give up only 10 points, it's a good day for the defense.

I thought the defense played with heart. Sure they have physical limitations (and in Meriweather's case, mental), and the Panthers have more, but they were tough and aggressive. It was a step up for the defense. Now, we need to see the same from the offense.

Bingo ! we have a winner ...

Our D was steadily improving and peaked in the Indy game 1st half. after than everything seems to go down the drain. But yesterday was a case of inept offense but still as a morale booster, I will take it.

I don't know about the game plan, etc.

I'm just happy the D made a couple of stops and (quiet, don't tell anyone, but they also got a, how do i spell the word?) got a couple of s-a-c-k-s. But this was against a backup qb on a team with a questionable offense anyway and we still had to win ugly.

But, I'm not handing the "W" back...

Bingo ! we have a winner ...

Our D was steadily improving and peaked in the Indy game 1st half. after than everything seems to go down the drain. But yesterday was a case of inept offense but still as a morale booster, I will take it.

This thinking makes ZERO sense.

You don't "dominate" great offenses. Do you really think some defense is going to dominate NO into scoring 10 points?

The point is to limit great offenses.

Sometimes just going back to the basics helps a group out. I thought the D did OK yesterday as they've done most of this season. The Panthers have some top flight talent on that offense. The human INT machine Jake Delhomme not playing was a positive for the Panthers. This D is nothing special but they're not as bad as some like to portray them.

Did someone really say that the defensive gameplan made a difference? Did someone say that Springs and Sanders made a difference?
Two words: Matt Moore. Any questions?

This thinking makes ZERO sense.

You don't "dominate" great offenses. Do you really think some defense is going to dominate NO into scoring 10 points?

The point is to limit great offenses.

Ok this brings the painful memory of 2007. We sure never got limited. We got shutdown.

What I meant is that this D appeared to be gelling early in the season and for the last few games (especially after Indy game) seems to have regressed.

I agree with you. Let guys play to their natural abilities. Don't fill their head with with too much DOs and DONTs. Too much details could make you lose the big picture. Someone said three months ago Mathews and Cushing are too dumb to play in our defense. That is a remarkable statement considering how well they played in this league so far. There is this common misconception that only high IQ players can do well here.

As far as them beating Bills, that would be a first time event! Pats and Tampa are the only teams without a true road win this year. Think about it, we are in the company of the lowly Bucs. So much for intelligence.

Last edited:

I thought the same thing, this is a little concerning for when we play dominant offenses like Chargers, Colts, Bengals, all teams we could play in the playoffs. I dont think you can have a simplied game plan against those teams because they are just too powerful and full of weapons.

I thought the same thing, this is a little concerning for when we play dominant offenses like Chargers, Colts, Bengals, all teams we could play in the playoffs. I dont think you can have a simplied game plan against those teams because they are just too powerful and full of weapons.

I will never say it's "concerning" when we give up 10 points and generally play solid D, especially given how often they had to go right back out there when the offense sputtered.

Now, if you want to say this doesn't change your mind about the defense because it wasn't a great offense, that's totally different, but honestly what do you expect? That we're going to shut out every bad team or we're a bad defense?

I will never say it's "concerning" when we give up 10 points and generally play solid D, especially given how often they had to go right back out there when the offense sputtered.

?

The defense is bad. Even Bill will probably admit that in private. Giving up near 400 yards to Henne and Kyle Orton is concerning. Did you see defense getting blown out by Colts and Saints? It is as easy as taking candies from babies. Soft D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes