PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Decline G Jonathan Cooper's 5th year Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is surprised the Pats didn't pick up Cooper's $11M option, the surprise is that they declined it today. I just thought that they had a lot more time to make that choice. Again, it should be emphasized that there is a snowball's chance in hell he would have played up to the level of an $11M guard, just that the Pats tend to take their time in making these decisions. If Cooper has a crazy good year, the fifth year option would have been some leverage, but I guess they decided otherwise.
Snowball's chance in hell is putting it lightly, and there was no choice to make. He could literally eat everyone who dared to touch him this season and $11m would still be ridiculous.

After the draft, not even totally sure he makes the team since they added to the interior OL before OT. Hope for the best of course, he's talented and had a lot of potential. He's gonna have to ball out hard to get playing time though - besides the Pats picks from last year plus Thuney. Otherwise he's looking at a bunch of short-term deals for a year or so before he's out of the league. Hope he lives up to his draft potential.

Pats Decline Cooper's 5th year Option

Oh well.

That thins out the G blockade a little..

Was hoping the raw talent would surface here.

Did you think they were considering doing it? No way you can justify picking it up at this point

Franchise tag, 5th year option. No real difference if we want it. But as said, no way we paying that.

So does this mean they traded Chandler Jones for a guard/maybe swing tackle and a WR coming off an acl????? o_O

The Patriots netted OL Jonathan Cooper for one year, and by trading down in the draft, they picked up rookie wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell, and OL Joe Thuney in the 3rd. They also cleared over $7 million against the cap to help sign other players.

It's debated in another thread if this was a good trade. We'll find out as camp and the season unfolds.

This means very little. Teams structure the rookie option year with the big money as a way to use it as retainer of sorts to string it out as a way to make sure they want to extend the player into their 2nd deal.

This is a prove it deal for Cooper, and if Scar works his magic, the kid will earn it and then they;ll quietly talk extension, or let him go to FA, or he's done.

I wouldn't worry. BB has the leverage and either Scar is more of a legend and fixes this guy or Cooper is done in the NFL.
Correct.

I'm only calling out the fact that they didn't like him enough to do a 2yr redu deal. It's good to have some positional certainty for a couple of years. They must have a ton of questions about the kid.

Did you think they were considering doing it? No way you can justify picking it up at this point
No way. Just mildly surprised they didn't get him to do a modest 2yr deal and achieve a little roster certainty for the 2017 season.

There was a lot of talk about it being a weak draft, but that's pretty insane. I can't imagine many other drafts featuring a worse top-3 than Fisher, Joeckel, and Jordan. Actually, here is the rest of the top 10:

4. Lane Johnson
5. Ezekiel Ansah
6. Barkevious Mingo
7. Jonathan Cooper
8. Tavon Austin
9. Dee Milliner
10. Chance Warmack

Woof. Has there been a worse top 10 draft ever? That has to be historically bad, right?

But wait! There's more.

DJ Hayden, EJ Manuel was the first QB taken (LOL), Bjorn Werner (sucked too much to bother learning how to put the proper umlaut over the O in his name), and Matt Elam also went in the 1st. There's a good chance Collins goes top 5 in a re-draft, maybe even 3rd behind Sheldon Richardson and LeVeon Bell.

One of those picks to have their 5th-year option declined was Cordarrelle Patterson. That trade looks better and better as the years go by.

No way. Just mildly surprised they didn't get him to do a modest 2yr deal and achieve a little roster certainty for the 2017 season.
Not so sure they want roster certainty at this point. They've got a logjam of potential guards, need to see who wishes to the competitive challenge. Jobs are to be won not given for potential.

Not so sure they want roster certainty at this point. They've got a logjam of potential guards, need to see who wishes to the competitive challenge. Jobs are to be won not given for potential.
That's reasonable. If they did ink him to a 2yr deal we wouldn't be talking about a big cap hit. Plus you never want to be in a jam with too few players and drafting based on need.

With that said there is nothing wrong with a 1yr proove it deal.

There was a lot of talk about it being a weak draft, but that's pretty insane. I can't imagine many other drafts featuring a worse top-3 than Fisher, Joeckel, and Jordan. Actually, here is the rest of the top 10:

4. Lane Johnson
5. Ezekiel Ansah
6. Barkevious Mingo
7. Jonathan Cooper
8. Tavon Austin
9. Dee Milliner
10. Chance Warmack

Woof. Has there been a worse top 10 draft ever? That has to be historically bad, right?

But wait! There's more.

DJ Hayden, EJ Manuel was the first QB taken (LOL), Bjorn Werner (sucked too much to bother learning how to put the proper umlaut over the O in his name), and Matt Elam also went in the 1st. There's a good chance Collins goes top 5 in a re-draft, maybe even 3rd behind Sheldon Richardson and LeVeon Bell.

One of those picks to have their 5th-year option declined was Cordarrelle Patterson. That trade looks better and better as the years go by.

Yep, BB scored Jamie Collins and Logan Ryan (and Boyce) simply by fleecing Minny GM Rick Spielman.

Brilliant.

Not a big fan of Sheldon Richardson. Immature, mouthy kid who may not look as effective when the Jets trade Wilkerson.

Not sure if people realize this, but Chris Jones had more sacks and tackles for loss as a rookie in 2013 playing next to Vellano, in fewer snaps, than Sheldon Richardson.

Just saying.

Last edited:
3.6 according to Miguel

If Miguel is correct, it means they need to cut some people (Amendola, Cannon), in order to sign the rookies.

I think it's about 6 million doled out to sign rookies.

The Jets will be cutting all kinds of players. lol

If Miguel is correct, it means they need to cut some people (Amendola, Cannon), in order to sign the rookies.

Im not numbers guy, but I'm pretty sure we don't need to cut Amendola and Cannon in order to sign the rookies.. especially without a 1st Round Pick. :)

Am I not understanding how this all works? I thought the 5th year was ONLY guaranteed for injury so they could have that extra year and just cut him in March when it likely doesn't work. Are they worried he could get hurt and knowing there's almost noway he's worth that much that they don't want to chance something major happening to him?
But why would they accept the 5th year option? The only way that he could be worth that amount of money is if he suddenly switched to LT and become one of the best LTs in the league. There is no benefit of giving a player the 5th year tag if you know that it is impossible for the player to be worth it.

I thought about the net difference between cooper and jones, but I am not convinced that cooper is going to make the team

I think he is just because his money is fully gtd... Thats the only reason

No its btw 1- 1.5m. They are fine...

It was obvious the whole time they would never pick up that option. It does not mean he will be gone after this year. If he plays well and they like him they will be in a good position to sign him seeing as the last team a player is with always seems to have an advantage.

If Cooper comes in here and plays well I could see the Pats offering up 3-4M a year if he is really worthy of it and they will certainly have that money but i am not expecting him to play to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back