PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut Redd, re-sign Love, sign OLB Ninkovich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to me that Ninkovich is built alot more like a 3-4 ILB than OLB... 6' 2", 255... I have to think Burgess or Willie Mac could be in the mix by the end of camp. Sounds like BB is planning much more of an OLB by committee any way. My biggest question right now is how is Woods setting the edge? Pass rush doesn't really matter if you're not stopping the run on early downs.

I have seen Woods appear to be in the right position on run plays most of the time and that is why I have been saying he looks good to me.

The Pats could afford Burgess under his current salary, but couldn't increase his cap number much.

As reported, he has a $2mm salary. I'm not certain whether he has a roster bonus.

Miguel shows the Pats at about $4.6 mm under the cap right now with the Rule of 51, but once the season starts, that will quickly shrink by about $2mm (due to practice squad, players 52 and 53, and dead money from releasing 25-30 players) or more if any players land on IR.

If he is holding out for money, he won't get much more this year from the Patriots. If he only wants a trade, that might work.

The Patriots could potentially trade an OL where they are currently deep (maybe Yates, Hochstein, or O'Callaghan - the Raider's depth chart lists 32-year old Cornell Green starting at RT and 31-year old Cooper Carlisle at RG; neither household names after 10 years of NFL experience), and/or a draft pick. A 30-year old hold-out coming off a 3.5 sack season isn't going to command a Day One pick.

WE HAVE OUR FOUR OLB's
We have our four OLB's. We've had them for months. The only thing missing is for posters to accept Belichick's judgement that we will be fine with Thomas, Woods, Banta-Cain and Crable. Redd has always been a long shot. He has already been replaced with another long shot, which seems appropriate. I have no clue why this board can't accept the judgement that Banta-Cain is good enough to be a backup OLB for the patriots, or even a 4-3 DE....

Belichick has made it abundantly clear that he's willing to look at another OLB. It's not as if the Patriots kept the interest in Jason Taylor a secret, after all.

My biggest question right now is how is Woods setting the edge? Pass rush doesn't really matter if you're not stopping the run on early downs.

Woods has always been very good at setting the edge against the run. That's the thing he does best. He has not proven to be versatile in coverage or rushing the passer, but has been consistent against the outside run.

WE HAVE OUR FOUR OLB's
We have our four OLB's. We've had them for months. The only thing missing is for posters to accept Belichick's judgement that we will be fine with Thomas, Woods, Banta-Cain and Crable. Redd has always been a long shot. He has already been replaced with another long shot, which seems appropriate. I have no clue why this board can't accept the judgement that Banta-Cain is good enough to be a backup OLB for the patriots, or even a 4-3 DE.

WE HAVE OUR FOUR ILB's
The inside seems set with Bruschi, Mayo, Lenon and Guyton.

WE USUALLY HAVE ABOUT FOUR SPECIAL TEAM SPOTS
One or two are usually filled by linebackers. Ciurciu and Alexander are at the top of the list of linebackers who can fill those roster spots this year.

COULD SOMEONE ELSE MAKE THE SQUAD EVEN WITH NO INJURIES?
Yes, we might still add a veteran who could make the team. Belichick will be looking around the league every week up until the Super Bowl for anyone who could upgrade the team at reasonable value.

We may have our linebackers, but by no stretch is this group the strength of our team.

Think about our SB years. We had a mix of McGinest, Phifer, Bruschi Vrabel...

We have AD and Mayo.........then we pray. I trust BB but he is fallible. Luckily a lot less fallible then the other 31 HC's in the league.

The Pats could afford Burgess under his current salary, but couldn't increase his cap number much.

As reported, he has a $2mm salary. I'm not certain whether he has a roster bonus.

Miguel shows the Pats at about $4.6 mm under the cap right now with the Rule of 51, but once the season starts, that will quickly shrink by about $2mm (due to practice squad, players 52 and 53, and dead money from releasing 25-30 players) or more if any players land on IR.

If he is holding out for money, he won't get much more this year from the Patriots. If he only wants a trade, that might work.

The Patriots could potentially trade an OL where they are currently deep (maybe Yates, Hochstein, or O'Callaghan - the Raider's depth chart lists 32-year old Cornell Green starting at RT and 31-year old Cooper Carlisle at RG; neither household names after 10 years of NFL experience), and/or a draft pick. A 30-year old hold-out coming off a 3.5 sack season isn't going to command a Day One pick.

Urgent - Don't be so sure that it will SHRINK. There are quite a few in the top 51 who won't make this team.

There are currently 4 players listed below the top 51 who will make the team (Chung, LeVoir, Guyton, and Tank Williams). There will be more once you start looking at guys like Circui, Tate, Slater, Ohrnberger, and such...

While I respect MGs opinion that the Pats have their 4 OLBs, I don't know if that will be enough. Having someone for the PS would be nice.. Especially since we've had major injuries at OLB each of the last 2 years.

Woods has always been very good at setting the edge against the run. That's the thing he does best. He has not proven to be versatile in coverage or rushing the passer, but has been consistent against the outside run.

Not according to the Patriots coaching staff. According to them, Woods best attribute is his pass rush. Whether he's been called upon to use that more than his coverage skills and setting the edge is the bigger debate.

Woods held up decently against all but the best TEs and RBs. And he didn't get to play enough to show consistency on the pass rush.

Nincovich is listed as a DE with six total tackles in three years, so we'll get to talk about his potential for another three years or so.

So........linebackers?

Ninkovich is a 3-4 OLB.

We have one excellent 4-3 LB in Mayo. After that?.....Guyton?

AD is a DE at his weight and age, not a 4-3 linebacker.

Thomas has been playing at SLB in the 4-3 in camp and playing well.

Maybe they will be forced into this defense.

However, last year when they rotated into a 4-3 defense, they played poorly. Whether it was unfamiliarity, or a bad fit for the personnel, it just didn't work, fairly consistently, as I remember.

The Patriot's needs at outside linebacker are like your forum name Urgent.

Moving to the 4-3 still wouldn't solve the Pats biggest need, Pass rush.

I don't know if I agree with that. 4-3 allows you to get up the field 1-gap style and is a dominant pass rush scheme if you have the horses to do it. (Look what the Giants did to us).

Wilfork was a terror in Miami in 4-3.

The Patriot's needs at outside linebacker are like your forum name Urgent.

Not if they continue to use the 4-3.

It's also important to note, I guess, that Ninkovich can long snap.

FWIW, Jarvis Moss apparently has left the Broncos training camp to "mull over his future" (that's my paraphrasing!). At 6'6", 250+, and high first round draft pick 2 years ago, he could be worth a look.

Jus' sayin'....

FWIW, Jarvis Moss apparently has left the Broncos training camp to "mull over his future" (that's my paraphrasing!). At 6'6", 250+, and high first round draft pick 2 years ago, he could be worth a look.

Jus' sayin'....

The reason he's contemplating this was he was having trouble adapting to their new 3-4.

The reason he's contemplating this was he was having trouble adapting to their new 3-4.

The reason he's contemplating is that he doesn't know if he wants to play anymore. Not the sort of guy you want in camp.. Someone who's heart isn't in it 100%.

Jus' sayin'....

Moss is a bust. He's so bad that the Broncos were supposedly holding a fire sale for him during the draft and couldn't even pull a 7th round pick from anyone. He's also been struggling mightily with the switch to the 3-4, according to reports.

A possible 4-3 would look pretty nice & athletic with:
Seymour-Wilfork-Brace/Wright-Warren
Guyton-Thomas-Mayo
Bodden-Whilite(slot)-Springs/Wheatly/Butler
Meriweather
A couple hogs in the middle in case of a draw, 2 great ends to close the corners
Speed on the edge & two nice cover men, mass & speed in the middle
Speed & quickness in the secondary

at least on paper...

And I like the resigning of Love, even if only for camp, cause just dealing with his athleticism is good for everybody else

Last edited:
The reason he's contemplating is that he doesn't know if he wants to play anymore. Not the sort of guy you want in camp.. Someone who's heart isn't in it 100%.

From PFT:

"Moss reportedly is struggling to adapt to his role in the team's new 3-4 defense, which resulted in a shift from defensive end to outside linebacker."

I don't know if I agree with that. 4-3 allows you to get up the field 1-gap style and is a dominant pass rush scheme if you have the horses to do it. (Look what the Giants did to us).

Wilfork was a terror in Miami in 4-3.

We are a 2gap defense regardless of whether we align in a 34 or 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back