PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut Isaiah Stanback and Bruce Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, very true.

A guy who played 42 snaps against Indy last season isn't even one of the top 12 players at the WR position on our roster in June.

Says a lot about what Brady and O'Brien were working with last year.
Which is why I'm incredibly optimistic about this year. We did OK last year but adding Holt, Tate, Price and Hernandez as legit receiving threats (I know they won't all play but only 1-2 need to produce) and two real BIG boys at TE should make this offense an order of magnitude better.

Yup, very true.

A guy who played 42 snaps against Indy last season isn't even one of the top 12 players at the WR position on our roster in June.

Says a lot about what Brady and O'Brien were working with last year.

Good luck explaining that to the people who were insisting that WR3 wasn't an issue.

Last edited:
Good luck explaining that to the people who were insisting that WR3 wasn't an issue.

:confused:

Has anyone argued that? I thought one of the few issues that united us as Pats fans was the universal recognition that Aiken blew chunks last year and was totally unacceptable as a WR3.

:confused:

Has anyone argued that? I thought one of the few issues that united us as Pats fans was the universal recognition that Aiken blew chunks last year and was totally unacceptable as a WR3.

No.... there were those actually arguing that. It was just a relative handful, but they were there.

Last edited:
Tate and Crable could IR themselves again?? WTF are you smoking? You make it sound like they get injured on purpose.

What's funny is that Tate's only been on the IR ONCE and people like yourself act as is he's been with the team 5 years and ended up there every time, much like Adrian Klemm.. And that just isn't the case.

I wish I did have something to smoke; maybe Brandon Tate could hook me up...

Speaking of Tate, remember that his last season at UNC also ended prematurely due to a wrecked knee. That means, therefore, that the last 2 years for both Tate & Crable have all ended on a season-ending injury list.

Do I think either of them get injured on purpose? Of course not.
Do I think both of them will stay healthy all year? I don't know, but I would've kept Stanback & Davis for another month (or 3), just in case.

OK make that he was selected/signed as an UDFA on Pioli's watch... Point is Gutz was a Pioli/BB guy, Stanbeck was a BB via BP after Pioli left guy (whom Dallas drafted to develop as a WR/KR and then cut after 2 seasons but whom we signed to the PS to serve as scout team QB...). We only tapped his potential versatility under duress, and it didn't amount to much.

GM's tend to gravitate towards the thing THEY know whenever they can. Which is why Gutz landed in KC once we cut him. Which is why Cassel landed in KC as a tag and trade (and the only other place he nearly landed was Denver). Pioli doesn't know Stanbeck, but he now knows he was of very limited value to NE as a QB or WR. Maybe even that limited value is worth more in KC, Gutz obviously was, but it's a longshot unless they see him as an upgrade on Gutierrez via his limited positional versatility as a WR.

I wouldn't be shocked if Charlie wanted to kick his tires if only to take a shot at making something out of a guy both Bill's swung and missed on...Charlie does have an ego, after all. But what they really needed to do in KC was sign a guy like Patten to mentor their young receivers in the system - and teach them about becoming pros pros a QB and OC can count on who are capable of competing for a championship (which was a big part of his job in New Orleans...).

Umm.. Mo, I wasn't disagreeing with anything you originally said.. I was just correcting you on how the Pats got Gutz..

No.... there were those actually arguing that. It was just a relative handful, but they were there.

Given the selections on draft day combined with the issues of last season on the offensive side of the ball, I'm not sure how anybody in their right mind could possibly argue that WR3 was not an issue last season.

Given the selections on draft day combined with the issues of last season on the offensive side of the ball, I'm not sure how anybody in their right mind could possibly argue that WR3 was not an issue last season.

Hey, there's the "Guyton's fine at ILB", "Seymour's loss didn't hurt", "WR3 wasn't the problem", "Brady had the second best season of his career statistically so..." groups, among others, that are all being apologists for one aspect of the team's disappointment or another.*

* To be fair, even though it's not directly relevant to your post or my reply, those posters are balanced out by the "It's O'Brien's fault", "Everybody sucks", "The team will be lucky to be 8-8" types of posts, and it's that variety of thought that makes the board interesting.

I am a BIT surprised...I think more that Stanback could play WR as well as an Emergency QB...I think that has been overlooked in the dicussion.....I guess the 3rd would go now to Edelman...unless they plan on keeing 3...I wish him the very best...I agree Chiefs/Broncs..someone will take him. As far as Davis went...a numbers game at LB...someone had to go.

Have you seen Stanback play QB? He's awful.

Just as a followup....

Stanback was picked up by Seattle.

Davis was picked up by Denver.

There are some 88 players on the preseason roster. The Patriots can keep 53. Some 30 odd prospects have to go... Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down