Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats cut FB Tony Fiammetta, TE Brad Herman, DL Tracy Robertson, DB Malcolm Williams

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Re: Pats cut FB Tony Fiammetta, TE Brad Herman, DL Tracy Robertson, DB Malcolm Willia

That was fast.
  3. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: Pats cut FB Tony Fiammetta, TE Brad Herman, DL Tracy Robertson, DB Malcolm Willia

Who's still in the Ebert camp?
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

And with them go our Super Bowl aspirations...
  5. Bhelmet

Bhelmet Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I could have been - if he could catch a damn ball. He was horrible in the pre-season last year.
  6. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

FB Tony Fiammetta had to go to make room for the new fullback intern, Mr. Tebow. ;) :eek: :bricks:
  7. Tasco

Tasco Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I thought there was a new rule this year, which states that UDFAs don't count against the 90-man roster?
    Maybe they failed their physical or showed up out of shape?
  8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

UDFA's count. Otherwise the limit has ZERO meaning. No team has anywhere near 90 non-UDFA's.

9. jmt57

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Comment from Mike Reiss:
    The players released faced longer odds for roster spots. DB Malcolm Williams had biggest contributions for Patriots, on special teams.​

Comment from Brian Lowe:
    Malcolm Williams among 5 Patriots released. When NE added the entire Rutgers defensive backfield, it didn't bode well for Williams.​

Comment from Mike Loyko:
    The Patriots released a full back today obviously to clear a roster spot for Tim Tebow to play fullback​
  10. jmt57

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What the rule was, up until a couple years ago, was that players that were not under contract did not count. At that time the off season roster limit was 80 players.

The NFL changed that recently (I believe for the 2011 off season), to include players that were property of the team, but were not yet signed. They offset that change by increasing the roster limit from 80 players to 90 players.

As far as I know that has been the only recent change to rules regarding off season roster sizes.
  11. Tasco

Tasco Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You're right, I screwed up, thanks for clarification.

I messed the rule up: it states that unsigned draft picks don't count against the 90-man roster.
  12. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

correct and np

13. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Realistically, the 250# FB Fiametta, was cut to make room for the new 250# FB/RB Le Garette Blount. Did I mention that Blount is a former NFL 1000 yard rusher for the Bucs?:)
  14. VrabelJr

VrabelJr Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Brian Lowe and Mike Loyko could use a dose of professionalism. Maybe we can tweet about them after someone takes their job.
  15. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Unsigned draft picks did not count against the 80-man roster. But when the NFL went to 90-man rosters unsigned draft picks count against the limit.

NFL increases offseason roster limit to 90 players - NFL.com
  16. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Do I need to mention that he was a 151 yard rusher with a 3.7 ypc last year? He 'only' cost us a 7th plus Demps.
  17. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How about the year before?
  18. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Blount is a much better talent than Fiammetta. With that said, Blount isn't exactly Sam Gash back there so it seems if Bolden doesn't shape up, it Blount who will be the #3 RB behind Ridley and Vereen.

Demps value depreciated w/ the team once he started with the track stuff again.
  19. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Fullbacks block.

Tampa fans insist that Blount is probably a less capable blocker than, say... Danny Woodhead.

Now Woody can block a little, I grant you, but nobody would consider it to be on the level required of a fullback.

I thus have a hard time considering Blount a fullback.
  20. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey

This can only mean one thing

[​IMG]
  21. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey

Brady & Tebow embrace diversity?
  22. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey

Steve Gregory will not make it to the final 53.
  23. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#91 Jersey

Some comments on the comments:

1. Tebow isn't coming here to play FB. Why would anyone believe that a player who has never lined up with his hand in the dirt could suddenly become a impact blocker/runner at FB. Tebow was a very effective runner from the shotgun QB position....but that's it, guys.

BB took him to dinner ONCE. Just because you take someone to dinner, doesn't mean you have to marry them. :rolleyes:

2. I'm disappointed that Hermann was cut. I was hoping he would provide more competition for the last TE slot. He probably still hasn't recovered fully from his injury. OTOH, it could mean the Pats really like the tall TE they grabbed with their UDFA's, whose name escapes me now.

3. The more I think on it the more I DON'T like the Blount trade. Sure they got a guy for literally nothing who has some proven running ability. But they also got a guy who seems to dance more than bang, doesn't block well, and isn't great in short yardage situations. And, did I mention he has some long term attitude problems. If he doesn't become the primary RB, I don't see what his role would be.

Given how well we did in the 7th round (I love those 2 picks), I would just as soon taken another shot in the round (DRogers, Okoye, etc) Besides, I would feel much better holding on to Jeff Demps rights and not have to face him down the road.

In the end I think this will end up being a waste of a draft pick and potential asset. This is by far my LEAST favorite move of the draft.

5. In the end this is 'much ado about nothing', though I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams make a comeback if we get some injuries in the secondary during camp. There is something about this kid that BB obviously likes.
  24. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey

I hope you're correct. I'd prefer a faster, harder hitting safety corps.
  25. jmt57

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

To add on to and respond to some of the previous comments about Lagarrette Blount, and how he may relate to the release of FB Tony Fiammetta:

Just because the two are of nearly identical size (Fiammetta is listed as 6'0", 250; Blount is listed as 6'0", 247), do not take that to mean that they perform the same tasks equally. Fiammetta is a blocking fullback. Blount is a big running back that does not block very well.

For more on Blount from the perspective of one of the two premier Buc fan blogs, check out:

JoeBucsFan.com » The Slander Of LeGarrette Blount
    JoeBucsFan.com » What Has Happened To LeGarrette Blount?
    JoeBucsFan.com » Blount Let Freeman Get Clobbered
    JoeBucsFan.com » Understanding LeGarrette Blount’s Value

Some takeaways:

- Blount is considered to be one of those players that thrives on a lot of use. He did not do well in spot duty in Tampa; not sure if it is fair to expect that to change in Foxborough.

- In 2011 Tampa Bay decided to go with a pass happy offense, which explains Blount's drop in yardage. In 2010 the Bucs passed the ball 494 times and ran it 431 times. After finishing with the 8th most rushing yards in 2010, they ran the ball a league-low 346 times in 2011. That same year they dropped back to pass 620 times; only five teams did so more often.

- Doug Martin excelled last year, and Blount was dealing with an injury during training camp. Schiano prefers to go with the hot hand rather than a two-back system. This philosophy led heavily to Blount's precipitous drop in production.

- Schiano seemed to put certain players in his doghouse last year, one of whom was Blount. We can only speculate as to what the reason for that was.

- Interesting to note that at least one writer in Tampa thought the Bucs could get a 3rd or a 4th round draft pick for Blount.

- Some local writers are of the opinion that Blount is competition for Brandon Bolden, an opinion I agree with. If the Pats want a fullback ( a distinct possibilty; remember, they had three on their off season roster last year) it won't be Blount, but will either be a player not on the current roster, or UDFA Ben Bartholomew.
  26. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I was surprised that Fiammetta was waived so soon after being reinstated from the did-not-report list.
    I still feel that we need a FB, either the ass-kicking lead-blocking type like Vonta Leach, or at least
    the pass-catching versatile type like James Casey. Blount, Bolden & sadly Mr. Tebow do not qualify.

As for the rest of the released, good riddance. Time to start clearing the deadweight.
  27. nekromantique

nekromantique Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

was Brian Lowe wrong though? we drafted Harmon and Ryan, and added Jones as an UDFA...dunno if the other safety was draft eligible.

clearly Loyko was joking about all the tebow speculation...lighten up.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.