PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut 21, roster down to 51, not including Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
roster breakdown

The last post was based on the current roster breakdown at the beginning of the post.

i would think with 6 DL...that is where a pickup could be...maybe also linebacker..
Rivers is a surprise ONLY because he played solidly (but for the fumble..) as well as Wesley who I thought played really good..better than James..

Phew, I thought the surprise cut was gonna be old #12....... I am surprised C.J.Jones got it, I thought he did a great job this preseason

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious from today's cuts that the 2007 draft was a real bummer

for all teams. The Jets made the best of the situation by taking most of

their picks and trading up to get two good players. In retrospect, too bad

we couldn't have dumped off even more picks. Most of the guys we

drafted were very raw talent so maybe we can salvage most of them for

the practice squad.

the practice squad.

You have to remember that we got Merriweather and Moss with our first two picks

Last edited:
i would think with 6 DL...that is where a pickup could be...maybe also linebacker..
Rivers is a surprise ONLY because he played solidly (but for the fumble..) as well as Wesley who I thought played really good..better than James..

I agree with Wesley I thought he looked better than James at Cb and like good on special teams

maybe Samuel will not be ready so they need James..

You have to remember that we got Merriweather and Moss with our first two picks

Hi fellow Mainer. Yeah and Welker with the 2nd rounder pick in a trade.

I expect most of the cut draft choices will be on the practice squad

and might contribute something in future years or if one of the 53 gets

injured. I was happy Matt Guiterrez made the team.

This may sound like a stupid question but what is the status of Chad Jackson and Troy Brown?? I didn't see them IR'ed or PUP'd........

They were placed on PUP last week.

Thanks, I have a feeling that there may be a rash of injuries necessitating IR for a few players between weeks 6-9...............

By my count 3 rookies made the team (not counting IR), Meriweather, K. Brown and Guttierez. I wonder when the last team so few rookies made not only the Pats, but any team.....
Even so with newcomers A. Thomas, Welker,Washington, Moss, Stallworth, S. Morris, K. Brady and the rookies they overhauled about 20%
of the roster which I think is par for a BB team.

Last edited:

the practice squad.
they were all low garbage picks that most other teams didnt value, so we had no trading partners plus there were i think 4 comp picks and you cant trade them, i think the pats treated those draft picks like undrafted fee agent training camp fodder

Thanks, I have a feeling that there may be a rash of injuries necessitating IR for a few players between weeks 6-9...............

By my count 3 rookies made the team (not counting IR), Meriweather, K. Brown and Guttierez. I wonder when the last team so few rookies made not only the Pats, but any team.....
Even so with newcomers A. Thomas, Welker,Washington, Moss, Stallworth, S. Morris, K. Brady and the rookies they overhauled about 20%
of the roster which I think is par for a BB team.

Lua and Richardson would have made this team if they weren't on the IR.

And, considering how few spots there were to begin with, I am not surprised at how few made the team.

I am aure I am not adding anything new but I was quite surprised to see Guiterrez make the grade. I know he showed ok in pre-season against 3rd and 4th stringers but the NFL is about winning. Not sure he was worth the roster spot.

Other comments
8 LBs and 6 are over 30, seems like a low number
6 DL - seems low, I guess Wright is ready to go which is good news
6 WR - Depending on Moss' health this seems like too many

But what the hell do I know? Time to build the PS squad and crush the Jets.

EDIT - At the time I thought 3 OL in the draft was an awful lot, I was right. Memo to BB, DryHeat, BOX, DaBruinz, PatChick, Ochmen (plus others) and I will build your draft board and handle the warroom. You can take April off and do some sailing.

Last edited:
Re: ALL CUTS... MOSS STAYS (Tomase), Vinny T the surprise

Wow I am glad I wasn't around today! If I was here hearing about all the Moss getting cut rumors I'd have been sweating and biting my fingernails. Looks like what I thought it would though I thought that Marcellus would make the team but Thomas came off PUP. I didn't think Dante Wesley would make the team but I would rather have had him than Tory James.

Oh yeah and Reche made the team so **** all the haters. :rocker:

Re: ALL CUTS... MOSS STAYS (Tomase), Vinny T the surprise

take a bow LeKevin.

you are the man

I'm always happy for a late-rounder or UDFA who continues to make it, but I wonder who's going to backup the nose? I thought Moore did a better job of holding the point than LeKevin did, even if LeKevin did solid work at DE.

And, of course, I know more than BB. Right? :eek:

Wow, I thought Wesley played pretty well. That's #38, right?
Rogers should make ps, if he clears waivers. He looked real good as well.

maybe Samuel will not be ready so they need James..

or maybe because we have 5 CBs including Meriweather. Meriweather could see a lot of safety now instead so 4 CBs..on a team thats usually blown away by injuries.

They may be under the mandatory number because they are going to wait until after the Jets game to bring anyone back. That way they do not have to guaruntee the salary of a player who may be on and off the squad multiple times over the course of the season (just a guess).

Last edited:
I am aure I am not adding anything new but I was quite surprised to see Guiterrez make the grade. I know he showed ok in pre-season against 3rd and 4th stringers but the NFL is about winning. Not sure he was worth the roster spot.

Other comments
8 LBs and 6 are over 30, seems like a low number
6 DL - seems low, I guess Wright is ready to go which is good news
6 WR - Depending on Moss' health this seems like too many

But what the hell do I know? Time to build the PS squad and crush the Jets.

EDIT - At the time I thought 3 OL in the draft was an awful lot, I was right. Memo to BB, DryHeat, BOX, DaBruinz, PatChick, Ochmen (plus others) and I will build your draft board and handle the warroom. You can take April off and do some sailing.
Note to John: Who do you have developing on the Practice Squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes