PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Colts MOST WATCHED regular season game in 20 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
RATINGS NOTE: CBS' broadcast of the Patriots-Colts game -- nationally --earned an average overnight household rating/share of 22.5/39, which was the highest-rated Sunday afternoon NFL regular-season game on any network in the metered markets since at least 1987 (which is as far back as the network's records go). The previous high for a Sunday afternoon regular- season game was a 22.2/41 (Dallas-San Francisco; 11/10/96).

Posted By: mreiss (reiss' pieces: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/)

With so many people watching, how can the NFL have allowed such shoddy officiating and on top of that the crowd noisegate? I hope the NFL also releases a statement on the officiating, because that was the sorriest job I've seen in years AND just about everybody in America was watching!! There's no excuse for that kind of officiating performance when the game is on the biggest stage nationwide.

Highest Ratings in 20 years

Pats-Colts game draws huge rating
Posted: Monday November 5, 2007 4:48PM; Updated: Monday November 5, 2007 4:48PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The much-anticipated game between the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts earned the highest overnight rating for a Sunday afternoon regular-season game in at least 20 years.

The matchup of two undefeated teams drew a 22.5 rating and 39 share on CBS in the nation's largest markets. That is the highest overnight rating since 198, which is as far back as the network's records go.

The previous high was a 22.2/41 for Dallas-San Francisco on Nov. 10, 1996, a meeting of the winners of the previous four Super Bowls. The Cowboys won 20-17 in overtime.

The Patriots' come-from-behind 24-20 victory attracted higher ratings than all four of last season's NFL divisional playoff games.

The game drew a 45.9/65 in Indianapolis and a 38.7/63 in Boston.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Photo Galleries
Olympic Marathon Trials
Clash of the Titans: Pats-Colts
NYC Marathon
Musical Traditions in Sports
College Football Top 25
Most Popular Stories
Hansbrough tops preseason All-America list
NFL shifts Pats-Bills game to prime time
Dixon, McFadden make big Heisman jumps
Torre introduced as Dodgers' next manager
Dodgers can't bank on Torre-A-Rod ties

Choose your teamArizona CardinalsAtlanta FalconsBaltimore RavensBuffalo BillsCincinnati BengalsCleveland BrownsChicago BearsCarolina PanthersDenver BroncosDallas CowboysDetroit LionsGreen Bay PackersHouston TexansIndianapolis ColtsJacksonville JaguarsKansas City ChiefsMiami DolphinsMinnesota VikingsNew England PatriotsNew Orleans SaintsNew York GiantsNew York JetsOakland RaidersPhiladelphia EaglesPittsburgh SteelersSan Diego ChargersSan Francisco 49 ersSt. Louis RamsSeattle SeahawksTampa Bay BucsTennessee TitansWashington Redskins

SI Media Kits | About Us | Add RSS headlines
Copyright © 2007 Time Inc.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.SUBSCRIBE TO SI GIVE THE GIFT OF SI GIVE THE GIFT OF SI KIDS SI CUSTOMER SERVICE SITEMAP
Bush: Musharraf's moves 'undermine democracy'

CNN CareerBuilder

With so many people watching, how can the NFL have allowed such shoddy officiating and on top of that the crowd noisegate? I hope the NFL also releases a statement on the officiating, because that was the sorriest job I've seen in years AND just about everybody in America was watching!! There's no excuse for that kind of officiating performance when the game is on the biggest stage nationwide.
I suspect they don't need to release a statement...everybody who watched that game were witnesses to the officials directing the game.

It kind of amazes me that most TV sports shows have either disregarded the officiating or they have downplayed it.

It's time to let the athletes play. PI calls that essentially amount to 50 yards in penalties are waaay too much especially if they are questionable or outright bad. Let the WR's and the DB's go for the ball....if one tears the other's helmet off blow the whistle, but let them play.

Matt Light probably saved Brady taking a couple hard hits, but those PI calls....OMG!!!!

Re: Highest Ratings in 20 years

That is the highest overnight rating since 198, which is as far back as the network's records go.

Wow their records go WAY back!

Didn't even know they had TV then....or football.

Highest in at least 20 years. Unless they had more NFL fans, more national games, and more televisions before 1987, you could say this was the most seen regular season victory by any football team!

Last edited:
Pats are now America's Team. :D

I agree, that it was terrible. I am thinking that the NFL needs to make PI a challengable call because it can make such a huge impact on a game. The referees that made those poor calls should be held ACCOUNTABLE. That's why I believe the NFL should look into it and at least make a statement whether they acknowledge that the officials made mistakes. Somebody needs to say something about it. The most watched game in recent memory should not be nearly spoiled/tainted by shoddy officiating!

It kind of amazes me that most TV sports shows have either disregarded the officiating or they have downplayed it.

It's time to let the athletes play. PI calls that essentially amount to 50 yards in penalties are waaay too much especially if they are questionable or outright bad. Let the WR's and the DB's go for the ball....if one tears the other's helmet off blow the whistle, but let them play.

Matt Light probably saved Brady taking a couple hard hits, but those PI calls....OMG!!!!

Last edited:
good to see there were so many pats haters watching and being happy for most of the game...jsut to go into depression at the end :D . and the others who prob changed channel or went out, thinking game was in the bag ....only to find out later that the pats won !

I suspect they don't need to release a statement...everybody who watched that game were witnesses to the officials directing the game.

The PI calls are nothing new. The Pats got shafted in the Denver game and then last year.

I guarantee they will be penalized for PI in the palyoffs this year. Hopefully it won't be too bad

I agree, that it was terrible. I am thinking that the NFL needs to make PI a challengable call because it can make such a huge impact on a game. The referees that made those poor calls should be held ACCOUNTABLE. That's why I believe the NFL should look into it and at least make a statement whether they acknowledge that the officials made mistakes. Somebody needs to say something about it. The most watched game in recent memory should not be nearly spoiled/tainted by shoddy officiating!

Totally agreed. I would go a step farther and argue that all penalties should be challengable, including missed penalties (read: every time the Colts get away with holding). Some penalties have a greater effect on the game than the plays themselves.

I Absolutely 100% agree. And I root for the Colts. What's so hard about letting somebody challenge that call? Either the receiver gets messed with or he doesn't. If its just an iffy call, then don't overturn it. There are plenty of other calls that don't get overturned by lack of evidence. The NFL should look at this game, see what a mess today would have been if the Colts did win the game, and do this to compensate for crappy officiating.

The two biggest games of the year happened before flex scheduling. The fewer people seeing NBC's banality, the better. :rocker:

I wonder if commercial airtime was more expensive than the other games

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey