PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats claim TE Jason Pociask off waivers from the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spach was released to make room for Pociask.

Pociask was released to make room for Spach.

In order for a move to "suck," shouldn't it have at least the tiniest discernible impact?

BB uses such moves to do a DETAILED evaluation of possible upgrade players. After inspection, the ex-Jet was no better than what BB had. Why this move 'sucked' is beyond me. BB always looks for players to upgrade the team. A low to no risk cut of a fringe player to see if someone else is an improvement is simply being a good manager.

BB uses such moves to do a DETAILED evaluation of possible upgrade players. After inspection, the ex-Jet was no better than what BB had. Why this move 'sucked' is beyond me. BB always looks for players to upgrade the team. A low to no risk cut of a fringe player to see if someone else is an improvement is simply being a good manager.
I think they were looking at Pociask and the realized he wasn't..WHO really knows...Spach was injured..THAT could have had a bit to do with it..who really knows..it is situational and there is NOTHING wrong with what BB does...he's one of the best at roster management...

I think they were looking at Pociask and the realized he wasn't..WHO really knows...Spach was injured..THAT could have had a bit to do with it..who really knows..it is situational and there is NOTHING wrong with what BB does...he's one of the best at roster management...

Agreed.
Those flummoxed by this management approach will continue to be frustrated as BB tries for continuous improvement with the bottom of the roster. We all have our favorite 'barely made it' guys; I know I do and it can be disconcerting to see them cut and then possibly signed by the enemy such as what happened with some Pats castoffs (OLB Rogers and OLs) last season.

Spach was released to make room for Pociask.

Pociask was released to make room for Spach.

In order for a move to "suck," shouldn't it have at least the tiniest discernible impact?

1.) No

2.) They were trying to trade Jackson and supposedly almost had a deal with someone. They could have kept trying to make a trade rather than cutting him for a stiff.

Last edited:
2.) They were trying to trade Jackson and supposedly a deal was near. They could have kept trying to make a trade rather than cutting him for a stiff.

Umm...how can you imagine that they could have succeeded in trading Jackson when nobody claimed him off waivers for nothing?

I think the "closer evaluation" also had to do with creating a way to shave some nickels off of Spach's contract.

They're making some space financially. Call it a hunch.

56911752.Hunchback.jpg

Last edited:
Umm...how can you imagine that they could have succeeded in trading Jackson when nobody claimed him off waivers for nothing?

It wasn't my report, so you should probably talk to those who initially made the trade attempt(s) public.

So Belichecks' Jedi mind tricks are afoot. He has 'debriefed' Pociask about the Jests (limited) offensive playbook (with Favre learning on the fly) and now has cut him before he can learn the Pats playbook and become a double-spy.

Even if Bill has not sucked his mind clean of Jests secrets - how does Mangina not know for sure one way or the other? Therefore requiring Jests to change signals and further slowing down Farves picking up the offense.

Brilliant move Bill! :p

I think the "closer evaluation" also had to do with creating a way to shave some nickels off of Spach's contract.

They're making some space financially. Call it a hunch.

56911752.Hunchback.jpg

Someone asked Rosie O'Donnell to the prom?.......I don't believe it!

Last edited:
It wasn't my report, so you should probably talk to those who initially made the trade attempt(s) public.

I wasn't arguing with the fact that they had attempted to make a trade but failed. I was arguing with your complaint that:

They could have kept trying to make a trade rather than cutting him for a stiff.

Clearly they were right not to "keep trying," since it's been definitively proven that there was no market for him.

Well, looks like BB did the Vulcan mind meld with Pociask, learned the Jets offense for Week 2, then released him. Then we got Sp(ach)ock back! Awesome move, Captain Kirk...er, I mean Belichick!

Seriously, I don't know how bubble players like Spach and Pociask stand the merry-go-round that is the bottom of an NFL roster. I guess the dream of playing in the NFL allows them to take the almost-abuse that goes with this released/signed/released crap.

Last edited:
I wasn't arguing with the fact that they had attempted to make a trade but failed. I was arguing with your complaint that:

Clearly they were right not to "keep trying," since it's been definitively proven that there was no market for him.

No such thing has been definitively proven. He's had one tryout, and is supposedly line up for one with the Bengals. Once the player gets waived, different variables enter the equation than were there while the player was still with the team.

Belichick risked losing Spach and survived the risk. This once happened with Poteat.

Well, looks like BB did the Vulcan mind meld with Pociask, learned the Jets offense for Week 2, then released him. Then we got Sp(ach)ock back! Awesome move, Captain Kirk...er, I mean Belichick!

Seriously, I don't know how bubble players like Spach and Pociask stand the merry-go-round that is the bottom of an NFL roster. I guess the dream of playing in the NFL allows them to take the almost-abuse that goes with this released/signed/released crap.

Belichick risked losing Spach and survived the risk. This once happened with Poteat.

Agreed. Maybe he had a handshake deal with Spach that he'd be the 1st one resigned to the 53 and to call BB if anyone else came a-callin'. Looks like Lynch isn't going anywhere either despite lots of predictions earlier in the week.

No such thing has been definitively proven. He's had one tryout, and is supposedly line up for one with the Bengals. Once the player gets waived, different variables enter the equation than were there while the player was still with the team.

If a team wanted him in a trade they would have claimed him off waivers for nothing. I don't know what other variable could come into play.

So what are the chances they'll pick up Pociask on the practice squad?

So what are the chances they'll pick up Pociask on the practice squad?

My thoughts exactly, since DeVree was dropped...maybe they just didn't think he was week 1 ready, Spach could be, let's let the kid develop. Or I'm 100% off base, he sucked, and we'll never know (unless he wasn't eligible for PS, since I NEVER get that one right). I guess time will tell ;)

Pociask may be back either on the PS or reg roster. My belief is that this move was made today because it was determined that Ben Watson will not play this weekend and the Pats needed somebody with a better and more complete understanding of the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back