PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats claim TE Jason Pociask off waivers from the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a Jackson lover or a Jackson hater. The move doesn't make sense in context, that's all. If there's more to the story, I'm more than willing to change "move sucks" to "great move".

Obviously there IS more to the story than any of us will ever know. And there's a great chance we'll never know what that is. That "more" may or may not not make this a great move.

They sign this f****** loser but cut Chad Jackson? F*** the Pats, they get what they deserve.

Amazing to find a supposed Pats fan that prefers Chad Jackson over the team. Good luck finding another pitch black team to root for.

Chad Jackson will be a better player because he's more black than Holmes. Jackson just looks too tight

Your right about that! He looks tight because he's pitch black and has a mini phro.

Good grief......a wave of ignorance and stipidity has hit this board.....panic...panic...

Admit it - half of this board had a man crush on C Jack's potential. But he suffered the curse of being a 2nd round Bioli draft pick - which recently those haven't worked out too well (Marquise Hill, E. Wilson, Bethel).

I'll agree that our second round picks have been a crap shoot, but I'll disagree on two of your examples.

Eugene Wilson was a contributor on our 2003 and 2004 Super Bowl winning teams. Before his injuries he was a pretty tough kid, good hitter, and good enough in coverage to play free safety. After the injuries... well, he just seemed to lose that edge.

Marquise Hill had to play behind some great d-linemen. Not sure he would have ever broken through given what we still have, but it's impossible to judge him one way or the other given what happened.

Not a CJack hater and expect him to turn up somewhere else and be reasonably productive. That being said:

I would imagine Brady has a lot of say in which receivers are on the team...especially after 2006. I don't believe Brady trusted him enough to throw his way in big situations. CJack doesn't do enough on ST to overcome a lack of support from Brady.

Also, Belichick has shown he is serious about rewarding effort on the practice field (including preseason games). Ventrone and Jones especially played their way onto the roster and CJack didn't do enough. If CJack was passed on the depth chart by Washington, Aiken and/or Jones (all of which also muck in on ST) and Belichick kept CJack anyway, that would send the wrong message.

In the salary cap era, you need to get maximum return on your investments. The best way to do that is to hold people accountable for their actions and reward maximum effort with increased opportunities.

So the risk for keeping a 2nd round pick with 645K salary on the roster when he didn't earn it? A locker room where it is not crystal clear what it takes from everyone to win a championship.

Excellent summary! He was cut based on a three year evaluation that included a lot more than his flashing raw talent when healthy.

In Lynch's case it's likely about the old adage that you never know if something is really yours unless you let it go and it comes back to you of it's own accord. He doesn't want to be what we percieve him to be (which is similar to his issue with Denver). So they gave him another shot at testing the market for his declining skills (he can still hit second stringers just not get in position to against first stringers consistently). You don't reward that by overpaying either just because a guy has a rep and name recognition. If he's still out there in week 2 or 3 and he's decided he cares less about compensation and playing time and how he's perceived league wide, and he's decided all that really matters is winning another ring, then perhaps you reconnect and it's all hearts and flowers for both sides...

As for the new TE, it's not like we couldn't upgrade that position...not to mention the data we can mine about our week 2 division rival with the shiny new/old QB they are rapidly re-tooling their offense to accommodate...And while our newest offensive lineman may not make anyone feel all warm and fuzzy, he can probably man the position better than an aging safety or a speedy young WR who just doesn't get it...

Amazing to find a supposed Pats fan that prefers Chad Jackson over the team. Good luck finding another pitch black team to root for.

LMAO Great post, good follow up on the quotes too ;)

Could this be another classic case of BB outsmarting Mangini. BB has 3 TEs in the 53 to lull the Jets into thinking the Pats are set at TE, then BB made a quick strike when Pociask was cut. Whatever, a good signing. Go Pats:singing:

Could this be another classic case of BB outsmarting Mangini. BB has 3 TEs in the 53 to lull the Jets into thinking the Pats are set at TE, then BB made a quick strike when Pociask was cut. Whatever, a good signing. Go Pats:singing:

Eh, I don't think it's really any deeper than competition for Spach. They tried out Stupar, and he didn't make the cut, so now they're going to see if Polciask is better than Spach as a #3 TE. Wouldn't be surprised either way who wins out, but competition is always good.

Are you on the Chad Jackson is gone suicide watch list too? ;)

Not me, Mr. Box; though I am righteously upset that the FO has wasted a 2nd-round draft pick - make that another 2nd-round draft pick - when it could've had Greg Jennings or Devin Hester, and kept its 3rd-rounder sent to GB in the trade-up.

The FO has not developed a WR in over 5 years, since Branch & Givens. Whoever is scouting WRs needs some help, or should be fired.

Not me, Mr. Box; though I am righteously upset that the FO has wasted a 2nd-round draft pick - make that another 2nd-round draft pick - when it could've had Greg Jennings or Devin Hester, and kept its 3rd-rounder sent to GB in the trade-up.

The FO has not developed a WR in over 5 years, since Branch & Givens. Whoever is scouting WRs needs some help, or should be fired.
Maybe that's why they stopped drafting them recently and started using FA to find them. Look at the Lions, picking #1 receivers via the draft can be tricky business for almost any franchise. Maybe BB/Pioli got sick of taking guys who busted and figured it made more sense to grab seasoned guys for WR while using the draft as they have of late. While it's a bummer we spent a #2 and #3 on CJack, can you actually say that you're unhappy with the WR corps as it sits today? They've done fine finding WRs, just not via the draft.

Maybe that's why they stopped drafting them recently and started using FA to find them. Look at the Lions, picking #1 receivers via the draft can be tricky business for almost any franchise. Maybe BB/Pioli got sick of taking guys who busted and figured it made more sense to grab seasoned guys for WR while using the draft as they have of late. While it's a bummer we spent a #2 and #3 on CJack, can you actually say that you're unhappy with the WR corps as it sits today? They've done fine finding WRs, just not via the draft.
What Zeke said. I believe it was Reiss who had some info a while back discussing the hardest position to scout - WR. They just don't use them in college the way the NFL does. I'll agree, I did not have Chad Jackson on my draft board, but I see the Bears released my favorite from that year, Mike Haas. Sucks to be an amateur GM. :bricks:

Last edited:
So how do I pronounce his surname?

Forget scouting reports and analytical assesments. Much better to debate from a viewpoint of hysteria, overreacting, and angst. We need some excitement here and Springer madness. JERRY ! JERRY! JERRY!

Admit it - half of this board had a man crush on C Jack's potential. But he suffered the curse of being a 2nd round Bioli draft pick - which recently those haven't worked out too well (Marquise Hill, E. Wilson, Bethel).

Pociask will give Spach some competition and anyway, both of these new guys will probalby be gone in a few weeks when injuries heal and Lynch will be resigned after week 1 so Pats dont have to guarrantee his whole years salary.

Such is the game of player carousel when Bioli fiddle with the back end of the roster every year. And hasn't the music been mostly sweet to hear? :)

I have a feeling Pociask will stick.

So how do I pronounce his surname?
As in "when I call your number, you get your Pociask on the field." Or "Yo, 82, I'm gonna kick me some Pociask."

I have a feeling Pociask will stick.

I too hope he (or any TE not drafted high by the Pats) will stick. I like what I read about him - but I have long ago given up on the TE's that they bring in here. I don't have enough fingers to count how many TE's have come here and gone in the last few years without showing much (are they here just to block?). And the high drafted ones (Graham, Watson, Thomas) have all flashed but generally either 1) can't stay healthy or 2) can't reach the top level (as their ability occationally shows they have the potential ) of a Shockey, Gates, Gonzales, Crumper, Witten, etc.

Boy do I miss Ben Coates.

1) Maybe that's why they stopped drafting them recently and started using FA to find them. Look at the Lions, picking #1 receivers via the draft can be tricky business for almost any franchise. Maybe BB/Pioli got sick of taking guys who busted and figured it made more sense to grab seasoned guys for WR while using the draft as they have of late.

2) While it's a bummer we spent a #2 and #3 on CJack, can you actually say that you're unhappy with the WR corps as it sits today? They've done fine finding WRs, just not via the draft.

I do not mean to hijack
This thread to rap on C-Jack,
But...

1) I am glad that the FO has seen the folly of investing a top-48 pick, and not insignificant $$, in the WR position. Too bad the realization came 2-1/2 years too late. But better late than never.

2) I am very happy with the Big 3 . I am very concerned with the Little 4, not one of whom is being paid because of his prowess as a professional WR. And WTF is Aiken still doing on the 53? It's past time to sh!tcan his useless, injured azz and sign someone who has, you know, actually played WR. And has CJ Jones, at age 28 (in 3 weeks), suddenly become an NFL talent? Not bloody effin likely.

Now, back to topic of this thread:
The FO could have saved itself some time & effort had it just drafted Ben Patrick with one of its 4 late 6th/early 7th-round picks last year. He doesn't like to block, either, but at least he and the other Ben could keep each other company by swapping stories about being ex-football players at a basketball college.

I'll agree, I did not have Chad Jackson on my draft board, but I see the Bears released my favorite from that year, Mike Haas. Sucks to be an amateur GM. :bricks:

I saw that, too, and noted it in the "FAs I'd like to sign" thread.

Pociask has already been released. Like I said.....

The moves sucked.

Pociask has already been released. Like I said.....

The moves sucked.

Spach was released to make room for Pociask.

Pociask was released to make room for Spach.

In order for a move to "suck," shouldn't it have at least the tiniest discernible impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back