PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats claim TE Jason Pociask off waivers from the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great now we're digging for Mangini's trash!

FWIW, when I was surfing the Jets site the other day the fans there were saying they were surprised by the TE cut and he was the one player they were sorry to see go. Could his signing be nothing more than insurance for the TE position and a little brain-picking for game #2, when we are going to face a pretty good QB under a new system when we are probably not going to be hitting on all cylinders ourselves?

If nothing else, it will make Mangini change his plans for week 2 or risk running plays that we know all about.

Is the OL signing really that much of a surprise? He's probably the best thing out there at the moment.

BB has never seemed that enamored of Chad Jackson. Maybe he argued with Brady in practice; maybe Brady said he couldn't work with him anymore. Who knows?

John Lynch? BB must be willing to take the risk that he won't need him and/or that Lynch will come back if we do.

Let's relax & see what happens.

There's a very predictable pattern on this site.

The Patriots make a decision based on hours of film watching and input from a full-time staff of over a hundred scouts.

Then there is an immediate knee-jerk over-reaction by fans who watch NFL Live and listen to WEEI and think that gives them more info than the Patriots FO and totally panic.

You can follow two-thirds of the threads here and watch the same pattern.

Guys - it's a questionable move. Trust me, I know. I never heard of either Jason Pociask or Mark LeVOir before today and they aren't in my official ESPN Fantasy Draft Insider guide so therefore they cannot possibly be any good.

The sky if falling, the sky is falling...

:rofl:

Chill out, man.

The guy is healthy now FINALLY, he's loaded with potential and even flashed some of it this PS playing with garbage QBs. He has a MEASLEY CAP HIT of 645K this season. Please answer me this: WHAT IS THE RISK IN KEEPING HIM AT THAT MINISCULE CAP HIT, to see what he can do now that he is healthy with TB ? Where is the risk in that ? Instead we claimed two stiffs that have no shot in this league. Please explain the logic of this? I can't see it.
Very little risk, but if BB thinks the team will be better without, he won't worry about $645K. He cut Steve martin knowing that he had to pay his salary the rest of the year, but he sent a message (about talking to the press). Maybe this is another message. Maybe Jackson isn't behaving the way BB thinks he should be. I know Chad was on EEI saying how great he was and what a playmaker he was, bragging about catches in game 4. Maybe BB thinks the Patriot Way is after a catch to compliment the QB and OLine, just as after a great throw Brady compliments the receiver and Oline.

If BB wanted to send a message to future draft picks, this is one way. (Veteran to out-of-line rookie next year: "That doesn't fly here, and will get you cut just like it did Chad jackson.")

Or maybe not. Who knows?

I agree there seems to be very little risk in cutting CJ Jones to keep Jackson, but if BB wasn't comfortable with Jackson and was with Jones, well, ...

ok i was not going to drink this weekend but now i have to

Re: Pats claim tight end Jason Pociask off waivers from the Jets

leads me to beleive watson wont be playing week 1...
Perhaps then the idea is to bring in another TE till Watson is ready, and then re-sign Lynch - with Lynch's prior consent and approval? I have no proof, evidence or 'inside information', just speculating.

Dude, the moves suck.
Your new favorite TE - From NFL Draft Scout ca. 2006:
Overview

The consummate team player, most fans do not notice Pociask much on the football field, but ask any of the team's running backs for a reason for their success on the ground and the answer is simple ? Jason Pociask. While being utilized mostly in a two-tight end formation, Pociask has also lined up wide at receiver and in the backfield at fullback. He is a very capable gunner on the special teams unit. While lacking personal production, Pociask relished his role, seeing others on the team garner national attention thanks to his selfless play
-----
Analysis

Pociask might lack ideal height for the classic tight end position, but he has good bone structure, with a firm midsection, muscular arms, broad shoulders, thick chest, thighs and calves. His frame could carry another 10-15 pounds with no loss in quickness. Because of his quickness, he is used mostly in motion and can even split wide as a receiver.

For his position, he shows very good straight-line speed. He has adequate change of direction and flexibility and good hands to catch the ball cleanly. Still, he is at his best when blocking in space, as he shows ease of movement adjusting and mirroring defenders while on the move. He might be an effective fullback at the next level, but will have to work on his lower body to add more strength. When asked to lead block in the past, he had some success, but sometimes ducked his head and got too erect in his stance, which resulted in defenders pushing him back through the rush lane.

While he has valid speed and good hands, Pociask was not used much in the passing game. Pociask shows good cutting ability running crossing patterns, flares and underneath routes. He is a big target who is reliable shielding the ball from the defender and has never fumbled the ball. He has the toughness to compete in a crowd, and while he can rumble after the catch, he still needs to develop the power to break tackles consistently.

Because he was used in a system that constantly rotated the tight ends, he was never given the opportunity to contribute to the passing game. Even though the production is not there, based on film review and limited chances, he appears to have the hands to reach and extend for the ball. His hand/eye coordination is above average and when he gets to top speed, he is a load to bring down vs. nine-tech (secondary) defenders.

If he was in another system, you might have gotten to see his potential. He has proven to be a solid level two blocker and brings added value as a gunner on special teams. He will have to simply dazzle in individual workouts, but there is something about his speed, blue-collar work ethic and body structure that makes you feel that there is a player hidden inside waiting to come out.
-----
Career Notes

The three-time Academic All-Big Ten Conference selection was also the recipient of the school's Ivan Williamson Scholastic Award as a senior...Only had 12 receptions for 144 yards (12.0 avg) during his career, but only dropped one pass.
And your new favorite OT (same year)
Overview

Notre Dame's most experienced offensive lineman the past two seasons, LeVoir started 36 games over the past three seasons. The former high school tight end who has quick feet and good hands also displays great strength, size and athleticism, going on to earn four monograms with the Irish.
-----
Analysis

Positives: Has big hips and thighs...Has room on his frame to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk...Adequate drive blocker with good balance to locate and neutralize first level defenders...Shows decent initial quickness moving out to seal off the slower pass rushers...Does a good job of recognizing stunts...Extends his arms properly and shuffles his feet well in pass protection...Uses his size well to gain position and sustain...More of a finesse blocker, but does demonstrate proper hand placement and usage...Has some change of direction agility and lateral movement to set up in pass protection.

Negatives: Has a soft, fleshy frame with marginal muscle tone...Lacks explosiveness off the snap and is a little stiff in his hip movements, especially when redirecting to the inside...Has problems adjusting to inside counter moves and is slow to get in front on pulls and traps...Struggles vs. the quicker edge rushers due to a lack of hip thrust that prevents him from driving opponents off the ball...Space blocker who will lunge at and generally miss the quicker linebackers.
-----
Career Notes

Started his final 36 games, including 24 at right tackle and 12 at left guard.
-----
2005 Season

Started all 12 games at right tackle, helping an explosive offense that averaged 36.7 points and 477.3 yards per game (330.2 passing, 147.1 rushing)...Led the way as halfback Darius Walker eclipsed 100 rushing yards in seven games...Logged 355:45 of playing time with 73 special teams appearances.
2005 Game Analysis

Key factor in the Irish garnering 502 total yards (275 rushing, 227 passing) in the season opener, a 42-21 win at Pittsburgh...Helped the offensive line to a banner day against Purdue as the Irish did not allow a quarterback sack while gaining 621 total yards (468 passing) and scoring 49 points in the 49-28 win...Big part of an offensive outing vs. USC that produced 31 points (most by a Trojan foe since 2003), 417 total yards (264 passing, 153 rushing) and 28 first downs while controlling the ball for an astounding 38:40...Anchored an offensive line that led the Irish to 49 points, 511 yards of offense and seven touchdowns in a 49-23 win over BYU...Helped the Irish offense to a big day against Tennessee's highly-rated defense as Notre Dame's offense produced 27 points and 343 yards...Prevented Navy from registering a quarterback sack as the Irish moved for 505 yards, 221 rushing yards and 284 yards via the pass in a 42-21 victory...Helped the Irish offense rack up 663 yards (231 rushing, 432 passing) and five touchdowns in the win over Stanford.
2004 Season

Started all 12 games at right tackle...Major factor in Notre Dame's ability to rush for 195 yards against top-ranked USC, the most rushing yards allowed by the Trojans in two years...Had a big day vs. Navy as he helped open the way for 204 rushing yards...Gave excellent protection to Brady Quinn as he threw four touchdown passes vs. Washington... helped to clear the way for Darius Walker's 115-yard rushing performance vs. Michigan ... Made eight special teams appearances and logged 365:30 of playing time.

2003 Season

Started all 12 games at left guard...Made his first career start for the Irish vs. Washington State...Helped running back Julius Jones rush for a school-record 262 yards against Pittsburgh...Also helped Jones rush for 221 yards vs. Navy and 218 against Stanford, becoming the first player in Notre Dame history to rush for 200-plus yards three times in a season...Played every offensive down of every game until receiving a breather in the fourth quarter against Stanford (11th game of the season)...Played 311:40, the most of any Irish player in ?03.
For what it's worth, there is madness to BB's method. :p

Last edited:
Your new favorite TE - From NFL Draft Scout ca. 2006:And your new favorite OT (same year)For what it's worth, there is madness to BB's method. :p
Thanks for posting that...I read that hours ago and tried to calm teh MADNESS...it all makes a LOT of sense in the big picture....and Speach could be the odd one out...
LeVoir also could be a stop gap measure...rememebr theer are only 6 healthy linemen...so..maybe hes in..until another is signed..then PSQuad...
Wait a minute,,that makes too much sense...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that...I read that hours ago and tried to calm teh MADNESS...it all makes a LOT of sense in the big picture....and Speach could be the odd one out...
LeVoir also could be a stop gap measure...rememebr theer are only 6 healthy linemen...so..maybe hes in..until another is signed..then PSQuad...
Wait a minute,,that makes too much sense...

But, but, but... these moves suck? Didn't you hear? There can't possibly be a logical reasoning behind either of them, can there?

You're talking crazy.

But, but, but... these moves suck? Didn't you hear? There can't possibly be a logical reasoning behind either of them, can there?

You're talking crazy.
The secret to Stan's success. :singing:

Your new favorite TE - From NFL Draft Scout ca. 2006:

And your new favorite OT (same year)

For what it's worth, there is madness to BB's method. :p

Yet neither of these two gems was listed amoung NFLDraftScout's top 400.

Hey, isn't trash collected on a weekday? Then why is the FO getting an early start? And why is it taking perfectly usable items to the dumpster, while leaving - and adding more - useless junk inside its own house?

The uproar over Pociask suggests this board has a much stronger, deeper attachment to Stephen Spach than I would have guessed. :) Nothing against Spach, he's been solid, but why not try out a blocking TE/HB with practice squad eligibility?

The LeVoir move scares me more, just because it means that the camp-long revolving door at OL is still spinning.

Yet neither of these two gems was listed amoung NFLDraftScout's top 400.

Hey, isn't trash collected on a weekday? Then why is the FO getting an early start? And why is it taking perfectly usable items to the dumpster, while leaving - and adding more - useless junk inside its own house?
Are you on the Chad Jackson is gone suicide watch list too? ;)

Your new favorite TE - From NFL Draft Scout ca. 2006:And your new favorite OT (same year)For what it's worth, there is madness to BB's method. :p

Moves still suck.:)

Supposedly, he was a surprise cut, who had a very good camp, showed good hands and blocking, and well.............read it here:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/08/pats_claim_jets_tight_end_poci.html

Thanks for sending this along, good to know that he developed a bit. I follow Big 10 football and Pociask is an outstanding blocker, this is especially true in the run game. Coming out of college the knock on him was that he was too soft and needed to hit the weight room and also improve his speed. I believe he was timed 4.79. He is a versatile player, can play TE/FB, H-back, be the move guy. He has the reputation of being a real team player. In college @ Wisconsin he was used strictly as a blocker, due to the offense but he does have soft hands and is a natural receiver who doesn't fight the ball.

Here's some info on LeVoir, I know a lot of OL scouting reports in the league off the top of my head but this one I needed some help with. This is from scouts, not complete report because I can't.

Here you go:
http://www.nfl.com/players/marklevoir/profile?id=LEV624646

Comment: He comes off the ball high with adequate initial quickness. He struggles to get movement on base blocks due to poor leverage. He has better success on combo and down blocks than he does in base. He can and will be aggressive on combos. He has good leg drive and strength to get movement, if he can stay balanced. He is slow to climb for linebackers and struggles with quickness and angles to block LBs when uncovered. He tends to bounce off second-level blocks and he lacks the body control to adjust. He can get initial positioning on reach, but usually falls off. He has very good size for pass protection, but plays straight-legged and stiff. He looks good on his initial slide, but opens his hips giving up the short corner. He will throw a punch and can get physical.

Just read the scouting reports you dug up. Thanks for passing them along.

Just read the scouting reports you dug up. Thanks for passing them along.

Forget scouting reports and analytical assesments. Much better to debate from a viewpoint of hysteria, overreacting, and angst. We need some excitement here and Springer madness. JERRY ! JERRY! JERRY!

Admit it - half of this board had a man crush on C Jack's potential. But he suffered the curse of being a 2nd round Bioli draft pick - which recently those haven't worked out too well (Marquise Hill, E. Wilson, Bethel).

Pociask will give Spach some competition and anyway, both of these new guys will probalby be gone in a few weeks when injuries heal and Lynch will be resigned after week 1 so Pats dont have to guarrantee his whole years salary.

Such is the game of player carousel when Bioli fiddle with the back end of the roster every year. And hasn't the music been mostly sweet to hear? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back