PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats claim TE Jason Pociask off waivers from the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's panicking on this thread? did I miss that post? Not a single post was someone panicking, but you came in and acted as if everyone but you had gone insane. The moves suck. Saying so is not panic.

I'm just surprised by the reaction. For what they're expecting from these spots, I just never expected people to reacting so negatively. At the worst it's a non-issue to me, and I guess it just hit me that everyone cared so much.

If these two guys are on the 53 past the bye week, I'll come back and eat crow, I promise. If they're NOT, and theirs spots have been filled with better options, I'm going to come back and do the opposite :D

Your progression is likely valid, but I'll say again, I'm not talking to the people who are making rational points. I'm saying it to the people who instantly start acting like this is the downfall of the patriots. NOBODY on this forum knows that the Lynch/Jackson moves were made specifically to get these two guys. Jackson has never really panned out, and BB let him go. We're hearing reports from Reiss that Lynch may be back and this is an accounting move. There's NO evidence to support that these moves are related AT ALL. It's all speculation at this point, in either direction.

Exaggeration is never a good way to make an argument, at least not to me. They picked up a body in the event that nothing else pans out. Are YOU getting THIS?

I don't see anybody predicting gloom. All I see is fans who are trying to figure out what ALL today's moves mean, why they were made and most importantly, how it will all fit together. It sounds as though our roster will be in flux for at least the next few weeks so I suggest you chill out-fans WILL be discussing it, and until we see some final analysis of how it all shakes out, people will continue to speculate and discuss. That's life on a message board.

Your explanations could well be correct but that doesn't mean you have to overreact about people's posts here. I can't speak for everybody but personally, as long as whatever moves are being made make sense to Belioli, that's good enough for me. Meanwhile, some of you really need to allow people to express their opinions without constant rebuke from others.

I'd love to be inside BB's head right now. Today's almost like draft day:D

That's an awfully definitive statement for someone who chooses their words so carefully (usually)...so far, those released were not contributors to 16-0, nor had they shown anything in PS to suggest they were serious replacements for losses in 16-0 (or upgrades, which is really what you have to hope for). Losing Lynch means maybe they think the versatility of Mayo means we didn't need him. Or maybe they like Slater. Who knows. Maybe it's a mistake. Maybe he's signed before week 2 and it's just a financial issue. Maybe K. Washington and Slater and Ventrone make us forget about CJack. I know Slater on KR made me forget him. And watching PS, which I will 100% grant is no real gauge, I thought Ventrone in the slot showed enough promise that he could possibly be put in as a #4. And finally in the Gints game, the fact that Washington was in as #4 suggests that maybe, in practice, the coaches saw enough that they felt his versatility (let's face it, CJack didn't excel in ST on any level that we saw) outweighed the very small difference in what they saw in their skills on offense. Ultimately, all 3 of the guys we kept show the versatility to at least play 2 ways, and some 3 ways, whereas CJack had only really showed flashes 1 way...while I was surprised, I can't say I'm disappointed.

You can feel this way about Chad Jackson, although I don't agree at all with what you're saying, but answer me this?

When Chad WAS healthy, his rookie year, we saw what he could do, do you remember any of these plays?

Buffalo: fly pattern, end zone for 6
NY : endzone slant for 20 yard TD
Minn : Takes a pass in the flat, breaks 3 tackles and dives into the EZ for 6
NY : tremendous leaping catch down the sidelines from Brady

The remainder of his time, HE WAS HURT !

The guy is healthy now FINALLY, he's loaded with potential and even flashed some of it this PS playing with garbage QBs. He has a MEASLEY CAP HIT of 645K this season. Please answer me this: WHAT IS THE RISK IN KEEPING HIM AT THAT MINISCULE CAP HIT, to see what he can do now that he is healthy with TB ? Where is the risk in that ? Instead we claimed two stiffs that have no shot in this league. Please explain the logic of this? I can't see it.

I'm just surprised by the reaction. For what they're expecting from these spots, I just never expected people to reacting so negatively. At the worst it's a non-issue to me, and I guess it just hit me that everyone cared so much.

If these two guys are on the 53 past the bye week, I'll come back and eat crow, I promise. If they're NOT, and theirs spots have been filled with better options, I'm going to come back and do the opposite :D

But why be surprised? Take the moves, as is, and figure out what reaction would be expected.

Lynch - People had seen Tank in the "big nickel" types of packages. When Tank went down and Lynch was signed, people expected he'd fill that role. He's a Pro Bowl player who didn't sign for the minimum and asked to play extra time in game 4 to get more familiar with the defense.

Jackson - The second most physically gifted receiver on the roster. Clearly there were issues, but just as clearly, the kid was only about 22 years old and had time to mature. His contract was not particularly expensive and he'd shown improvement in the last couple of exhibition games, including an impressive catch for a touchdown.

We don't know the ins and outs of the Patriots front office, because they keep secrets better than Chinese intelligence agencies do, so we can only evaluate based upon what little actually leaks out. As far as we know right now, they cut those players for a tight end cut by the R-A-T-S and a stiff of a tackle who couldn't hang on a horrible Rams team.

But why be surprised? Take the moves, as is, and figure out what reaction would be expected.

Lynch - People had seen Tank in the "big nickel" types of packages. When Tank went down and Lynch was signed, people expected he'd fill that role. He's a Pro Bowl player who didn't sign for the minimum and asked to play extra time in game 4 to get more familiar with the defense.

Jackson - The second most physically gifted receiver on the roster. Clearly there were issues, but just as clearly, the kid was only about 22 years old and had time to mature. His contract was not particularly expensive and he'd shown improvement in the last couple of exhibition games, including an impressive catch for a touchdown.

We don't know the ins and outs of the Patriots front office, because they keep secrets better than Chinese intelligence agencies do, so we can only evaluate based upon what little actually leaks out. As far as we know right now, they cut those players for a tight end cut by the R-A-T-S and a stiff of a tackle who couldn't hang on a horrible Rams team.

Let me clarify, because I think some of the problem here is that we're arguing two separate issues.

I have no problem with the questioning of the cuts themselves. The Lynch one surprised me A LOT. The Jackson one didn't, not because I thought he wasn't good enough to stay, but that he was on the bubble enough that either direction could be understood.

The issue I have is people tying the cuts with these signings in particular. I think you have to try to look at them separately, as I don't think either of these two signings were the driving force behind cutting Lynch and Jackson. That's all I'm really trying to say.

Dude, I'm with you on Jackson, I mean what is the risk in seeing if he can produce now that he's healthy (WHAT'S THE RISK ?). If he flops this season, while healthy under TB, THEN YES, HE WAS A BUST. But give him his chance now that he's finally healthy. This is baffling. Now we have a stiff TE and OL in place of him and Lynch.

For all the Chad Jackson haters, what was the risk in not keeping a guy with a 645K 08 Cap hit, to see if your 2cond round investment pays off ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, I'm with you on Jackson, I mean what is the risk in seeing if he can produce now that he's healthy (WHAT'S THE RISK ?). If he flops this season, while healthy under TB, THEN YES, HE WAS A BUST. But give him his chance now that he's finally healthy. This is baffling. Now we have a stiff TE and OL in place of him and Lynch.

For all the Chad Jackson haters, what was the risk in not keeping a guy with a 645K 08 Cap hit, to see if your 2cond round investment pays off ?

One thing I remember from a Belichick interview in the offseason was how much he values practice time for young players or players they're trying to evaluate. He says there isn't enough playing time in preseason to get an accurate read on a players ability to fit in the system.

100% of the time Jackson spent with Brady this preseason was in practice and camp. If I were a betting man, I'd say Brady and him just never really gelled. Again, don't know for sure, but that would be my guess.

I'm not a Jackson lover or a Jackson hater. The move doesn't make sense in context, that's all. If there's more to the story, I'm more than willing to change "move sucks" to "great move".

As far as the TE move goes..it's a good one...OBVIOUSLY Watson is a bit moe injured and they want to have insurance of a 3rd TE...Pociask is a solid team player..selfless...will do what it takes to win. That attitude goes a long way with the Pats. He probably will be cut in a few weeks...or maybe beat up Spach..in any event..it's a move they needed to make.

:DI hope the pro shop, gets on board with the jason pociask jersey's as much as they have with John Lynch.:D

Supposedly, Pociask had a good training camp. The Jets had a lot

of tight ends on their roster.

Not a CJack hater and expect him to turn up somewhere else and be reasonably productive. That being said:

I would imagine Brady has a lot of say in which receivers are on the team...especially after 2006. I don't believe Brady trusted him enough to throw his way in big situations. CJack doesn't do enough on ST to overcome a lack of support from Brady.

Also, Belichick has shown he is serious about rewarding effort on the practice field (including preseason games). Ventrone and Jones especially played their way onto the roster and CJack didn't do enough. If CJack was passed on the depth chart by Washington, Aiken and/or Jones (all of which also muck in on ST) and Belichick kept CJack anyway, that would send the wrong message.

In the salary cap era, you need to get maximum return on your investments. The best way to do that is to hold people accountable for their actions and reward maximum effort with increased opportunities.

So the risk for keeping a 2nd round pick with 645K salary on the roster when he didn't earn it? A locker room where it is not crystal clear what it takes from everyone to win a championship.

They sign this f****** loser but cut Chad Jackson? F*** the Pats, they get what they deserve.

They sign this f****** loser but cut Chad Jackson? F*** the Pats, they get what they deserve.

Ok Deus... NOW can I say someone is panicking? ;)

That attitude goes a long way with the Pats. He probably will be cut in a few weeks...or maybe beat up Spach..in any event..it's a move they needed to make.

Couldnt they hire someone else to beat up Spach? ;)

Ok Deus... NOW can I say someone is panicking? ;)

Nah.... he's doing that on every thread. It's not panic, it's unrequited Chad love.

Not a CJack hater and expect him to turn up somewhere else and be reasonably productive. That being said:

I would imagine Brady has a lot of say in which receivers are on the team...especially after 2006. I don't believe Brady trusted him enough to throw his way in big situations. CJack doesn't do enough on ST to overcome a lack of support from Brady.

And just what critical situations has Cjack been around for? He had a few games his rookie season. That's it. If Brady made a decision that quickly on a rookie WR, then he's not the QB or leader that he's touted to be.

Also, Belichick has shown he is serious about rewarding effort on the practice field (including preseason games). Ventrone and Jones especially played their way onto the roster and CJack didn't do enough. If CJack was passed on the depth chart by Washington, Aiken and/or Jones (all of which also muck in on ST) and Belichick kept CJack anyway, that would send the wrong message.

In the salary cap era, you need to get maximum return on your investments. The best way to do that is to hold people accountable for their actions and reward maximum effort with increased opportunities.

So the risk for keeping a 2nd round pick with 645K salary on the roster when he didn't earn it? A locker room where it is not crystal clear what it takes from everyone to win a championship.

Sorry, but Cjack is still counting against the cap. Cut or not.

Last edited:
hes another florida reciever who sucked, end of story good riddens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back