PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats claim LB Chris White from Lions and cut CB Marquice Cole

I'm thinking the same thing. 4 corners is a bit thin there; I realize that McCourty can move over there in a pinch but that weakens the safety position. Gotta be someone else coming in for a look.

I don’t think the moves are done yet so I would assume that they’re looking to add a player that can provide more depth at the outside cornerback position than Cole, who at his best was only truly capable of providing depth at the STAR position.

I would not be shocked to see a return of Ras-I Dowling, sometimes you send a young player like that off to pastor for a wakeup call, and then bring him back once his coming to earth party is over, either way if it is not Dowling I anticipate we will add a 5th cornerback within the next 1-3 days.

That is what I have been saying for some time now, to lots of derision. The days of ST-only guys are dying. With the Pats, the rebuilding it reaching that far down into the roster. I suspect that Tarp who was the only such player on the KO, KR and PR teams may go PS, or Shadow Roster for a while before being recalled for some ST play.
Indeed, and it's evident by the Patriots' cuts. Tarpinian, Koutouvides, Washington, Cole, Rivera, and so on. Those guys didn't show enough elsewhere to warrant a roster spot based on their ST play only. Slater and Ebner, while being limited positional wise, are viewed as a elite STers by the team in all likelihood so that's why they could be the exceptions.

The 2013 roster looks like it's all about how your positional play stacks up, and less about your ST. It makes sense to take this step as the days of having strict STers as depth/back-ups when they suck at their position hurt this team in the long run especially when these players were forced into important roles and failed miserably, a la Cole in the ACFCG.

Cole was lousy as a corner, no question. Given the current DB listings and the weakness after Talib/Dennard/Arrington, though, I have to wonder who's coming in to replace him. There are some veterans out there who should already have been called in for a visit.
Their on thin ice, make no mistake about it. Until Dennard's legal situation is resolved this is an area of concern. As it relates to Cole's potential replacement, Cole's release was everything about his CB skills or lack thereof IMO. So whomever fills his spot I believe will be someone who's much better at being a corner than he is disregarding how good that person may be at ST, and also an insurance for Dennard's pending legal issues.

Not too contradict myself, but the ST value might still be prevalent given the that their role would be at the bottom of CB corps. It could explain why the team hasn't sniffed around at veterans like Sheldon Brown, assuming the price would be right.

Names like Sterling Moore (waived), Jacob Lacey (injury), etc., are guys I could envision in that spot if they're available.

If White stays, why would we keep Beauharnais? Wouldn't he better on the Practice Squad?

If White stays, why would we keep Beauharnais? Wouldn't he better on the Practice Squad?

I tend to agree that Beauharnais would be better suited on the practice squad personally but may be Belichick is trying to upgrade spots over 2012 in his coverage units by adding LB’s that are younger, faster, more athletic.

2012 | 2013
T. White | Fletcher
Rivera | Beauharnais
Koutouvides | C. White
Ninkovich | Collins

My guess is BB signed White in an attempt to make the Bills young and inexperienced defense change its calls just prior to this weeks game.

While I agree with your conclusion. I don't agree with your numbers. I have Ninkovich as a starting DE. Therefore I have the new 4 LB's taking 3 spots. I suppose you could have named Tarpinian instead of Ninkovich to make your point.

The open question is whether there are 6 or 7 LB roster spots. As you mentioned, Ninkovich is sometimes a LB, and can even start if there is an injury. I would therefore only keep 6 OL's (plus Ninkovich). BTW, many folks argued for only 5 in building their rosters.

I tend to agree that Beauharnais would be better suited on the practice squad personally but may be Belichick is trying to upgrade spots over 2012 in his coverage units by adding LB’s that are younger, faster, more athletic.

2012 | 2013
T. White | Fletcher
Rivera | Beauharnais
Koutouvides | C. White
Ninkovich | Collins

Re: Re: Pats claim LB Chris White from Lions and cut CB Marquice Cole

While I agree with your conclusion. I don't agree with your numbers. I have Ninkovich as a starting DE. Therefore I have the new 4 LB's taking 3 spots. I suppose you could have named Tarpinian instead of Ninkovich to make your point.

The open question is whether there are 6 or 7 LB roster spots. As you mentioned, Ninkovich is sometimes a LB, and can even start if there is an injury. I would therefore only keep 6 OL's (plus Ninkovich). BTW, many folks argued for only 5 in building their rosters.

:confused:

I am referring to last seasons coverage units for special teams, Ninkovich played on that unit in the capacity of a LB. I was not referring to the defensive unit, I do not view the addition of Chris White as a move made for purposes on the defensive side of the ball.

I see we have some Bill Cowher fans here.

The reason for that comment is because to some apparently all roster decisions should be based 100% on position play, and 0% on special teams play.

(In case anybody missed the Cowher reference, please revisit a certain AFCCG that took place in between the Snow Game vs the Raiders and the Super Bowl vs the Rams in the 2001 post-season.)

While Marquice Cole may indeed have been someone you don't want to see playing cornerback, it's not as if he had no value. I'm skeptical that some street free agent is going to be much of an upgrade on defense.

Last edited:
Then the league will be setting a precedent. I couldn't find any examples of someone violating probation with a first time DUI charge and being suspended.

But I did see Ahmad Bradshaw in '08 served 30 days for violating probation and was not suspended by the league.

Furthermore, if he is found to have violated probation for the DUI then I don't see them doing anything because normally first time DUI offenders are not suspended by the league.

That's from Florio. I know he is hack but rules wise I think he is knowledgeable.

If Lord Goodell and the NFL do hit him with a suspension, I would expect an appeal. The first thing that would be brought up by Dennard's representation is that the NFL is really suspending him because they had no legal standing to suspend him for something he did before he was in the league and this was the opportunity to do so and the precedents already set would point to Dennard only seeing a fine and no suspension.

Everyone overlooks the fact that a "30 day" jail term is only if the incarcerated one, makes a complete, obstinate fool of himself. Typically the jailed serve about 10-12 days. They get the rest off for good behavior. So it may actually be better to serve the two games in jail, now, and put it all behind him. Then Dennard can pay his DUI fine if convicted, be done with it all, and concentrate on Football.

Goodell and NFLPA are negotiating on how to handle things like DUIs, and until finished, I doubt anyone gets suspensions for it. Most likely everything is put off until after the season, both in Lincoln and at NFL HQ. .

Well, either they are going to be looking through the scrap heap for CB help or Belichick is counting on something happening that rarely happens with this team: health in the back end throughout the entire season.

My bad

With regard to special teams, I don't have sufficient information to judge who will play on which special teams units. We just lost Cole. We added Ryan and Harmon. Is Ebner coming back? How does this affect the special teams?

If the addition of White is purely a special teams move (along with the cut of Cole), then we should ask if White is a gunner, and who is our #2 gunner?

:confused:

I am referring to last seasons coverage units for special teams, Ninkovich played on that unit in the capacity of a LB. I was not referring to the defensive unit, I do not view the addition of Chris White as a move made for purposes on the defensive side of the ball.

My bad

With regard to special teams, I don't have sufficient information to judge who will play on which special teams units. We just lost Cole. We added Ryan and Harmon. Is Ebner coming back? How does this affect the special teams?

If the addition of White is purely a special teams move (along with the cut of Cole), then we should ask if White is a gunner, and who is our #2 gunner?

White is not a gunner he is a younger and more athletic version of Koutouvides, so I’d naturally assume he is here to fill a similar role. As far as our #2 gunner if I had to guess it would be Tavon Wilson, not ideal but don’t think the Patriots are overly concerned with Cole being plucked up so if something was to happen to Slater I am sure he is on speed dial, for that matter in my opinion Cole is a temporary cut to clear up a roster spot to allow the Belichick to do some maneuvering.

So?

We don't carry players out of fear. If he's not one of our best 53, he'll be cut. IMHO, If White is better, we should keep White. Of course, we might keep both.

Beauharnais might not clear waivers.

So?

We don't carry players out of fear. If he's not one of our best 53, he'll be cut. IMHO, If White is better, we should keep White. Of course, we might keep both.
As of today, the New England Patriots have 10 offensive lineman on the 53 man roster. Cut one if not two offensive lineman.

As far as our #2 gunner if I had to guess it would be Tavon Wilson

For some reason I was under the assumption that Logan Ryan had been used as a gunner this TC and preseason, although I don't get the local feeds that you do so I could be wrong.

Unfortunately I miss a lot of commentary due to that issue where they likely break some of this stuff down.

As of today, the New England Patriots have 10 offensive lineman on the 53 man roster. Cut one if not two offensive lineman.

You sure about that? I was starting to think that the purpose of the 2013 season was to collect as many OL and RB as possible. If that's the case then we're the clear cut favorite to win the SB this year.

So?

I think Beauharnais is better anyway; he might be able to play defense in a pinch,
whereas White probably cannot, though I do like his height/weight.

You sure about that? I was starting to think that the purpose of the 2013 season was to collect as many OL and RB as possible. If that's the case then we're the clear cut favorite to win the SB this year.
Leon Washington begs to differ.

Leon Washington begs to differ.

Oh right, the recent cut of Washington now brings the RB total down to 5 and the OL total down to 10. Whatever was I thinking? ;)

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back