PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats checking out RB Unga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got an idea how Paschall is doing?
Has he a chance of making the 53?

Excuse me if I missed another thread on it.

The fact that BB is looking at a supplemental draft RB does NOT speak glowingly of Paschall's shot at the 53.

What's the over-under on drafting Unga?

Last edited:
The fact that BB is looking at a supplemental draft RB does NOT speak glowingly of Paschall's shot at the 53.

[\QUOTE]

Thats what I thought. The need for frsh legs at RB is a concern.

Looks like a FB/ST'er to me

Doesn't have the quick feet to play RB

For a 3rd round pick i would pass, but for a 5th/6th rounder I would consider it, we don't have a real FB on the team

He looks like a younger version of Heath Evans. No quick feet or explosion, just a workman-like bull, who'll make you pay for every tackle.

As someone else said, though, it's due diligence at this point. In theory at least, Paschall and Unga could both make the team.

Looks like a FB/ST'er to me

Doesn't have the quick feet to play RB

For a 3rd round pick i would pass, but for a 5th/6th rounder I would consider it, we don't have a real FB on the team

He looks like a younger version of Heath Evans. No quick feet or explosion, just a workman-like bull, who'll make you pay for every tackle.

OTOH, don't forget that the Pats have another Navy FB type waiting in the wings in Eric Kettani.

As someone else said, though, it's due diligence at this point. In theory at least, Paschall and Unga could both make the team.

Unga has to be signed first ;)

"He voluntarily withdrew from BYU in April over an honor code violation. It should be said that, despite all that, he's considered to be of very high character."

Wow I don't know if I want this guy on the Patriots. How DARE he have consensual sex with a long term partner of equal age!!! This guy needs to reported to the church elders and burned at the stake. I mean do the Patriots really want that kind of media backlash that will distract the team if he ever has consensual sex with a long term partner of equal age again? That would destroy the team and ruin the season. Very high character my ass.

Personally, I don't want us to carry five running backs. However, if we do, this guy could be a better prospect than Green-Ellis.
Seriously dude,

What is your problem with Green-Ellis?

Everywhere I look, you are insulting the guy.

There is a reason he has been kept around and active on the 53 for 2 years. He's not there for no reason, otherwise, we could have kept him on the Practice Squad.

I'd rather cut Taylor and keep Thomas Williams as a 5th ILB and have BJGE as the 4th RB and Special Teams guy. Which he has been complimented on by coaches in the press in the past. For a small guy, he's a very good blocker. I'd like to see him given a chance behind Faulk as back up 3rd down back. This year is his year to show us what he can do.

I disagree. After watching that video, what I noticed most was not the power rushing, which is expected for a RB of 237 lbs. Rather it was Unga's surprisingly quick burst. This kid can turn the corner. And if he finds a seam up the middle or gets to the second level he'll hit it for 8 yards or more.

I was expecting to find another Shonn Greene, what I saw instead was a kid with surprising initial quickness off the snap who doesn't get caught from behind easily and is as likely to pull out a spin move or run around a defender nearly as much as he'll try to run over that defender. He also seems to be patient and uses his blocks well.

I think this kid is worth at least a 4th round bid from the Patriots. They really have nothing in the cupboard in the power running department and nearly all of our RBs are either over 30 or their contract expires this year. Don't hold your breath that the Pats will be extending Maroney unless he finally has that 'breakout' year that we've been waiting for since we drafted him 4 years ago.

"He voluntarily withdrew from BYU in April over an honor code violation. It should be said that, despite all that, he's considered to be of very high character."

Wow I don't know if I want this guy on the Patriots. How DARE he have consensual sex with a long term partner of equal age!!! This guy needs to reported to the church elders and burned at the stake. I mean do the Patriots really want that kind of media backlash that will distract the team if he ever has consensual sex with a long term partner of equal age again? That would destroy the team and ruin the season. Very high character my ass.

Don't let Brady hear this! :eek: ;)

PS I think it is BS that Unga has to withdraw from school for having sex with his own fiancee. But that very violation is what is potentially allowing the Pats to have a shot at a pretty good RB prospect a year early.

If we gave away a 3rd round pick for Duane Starks of all people, a 4th should be a bargain for this Unga kid. Assuming of course the Pats like what they see in his workout.

Wow, as poorly as I did with girls in college I could have lasted at BYU for decades.

LOL! Yah know! If I went to BYU and I turned myself in for having sex, they would probably laugh and tell me to go to class and stop making up stories. That's how well I did in college with the ladies.

The Pats have no chance at getting Felix Unga.

First, Unga would have to drop into a round that wouldnt be a huge risk giving up a draft pick. A 3rd seems too high for me. Then, the draft is order is formed by the teams that made the post season picking last.

If Unga dropped into round 4, 20 teams would have a shot at him before NE.

The Pats have no chance at getting Felix Unga.

First, Unga would have to drop into a round that wouldnt be a huge risk giving up a draft pick. A 3rd seems too high for me. Then, the draft is order is formed by the teams that made the post season picking last.

If Unga dropped into round 4, 20 teams would have a shot at him before NE.

Everyone every year talk about supplemental draft picks going for high picks and they usually go for low round picks. I seriously doubt Unga will get picked up for a third. Unlike most supplemental prospects, he doesn't have the baggage that usually drives the prospect to apply for the supplemental drafts. But when was the last time a supplemental pick was drafted in the third round or higher. I'll tell you, it was 2006 with Ahmad Brooks (who many people on message boards had him going for as high as a second rounder because of his talent).

Unga could break the trend especially since the regular draft was devoid of quality RB after the first couple. But I think he will go lower than what people are expecting.

That said, if the Pats are high on the guy, why not use a third. With two first and two seconds next year along with all the first and second rounders the past two years, why not gamble with a third rounder in the 2011 draft?

The good thing is atleast BB doesn't think our RB core is fine like many on this board.

He wanted Hardesty in the 2nd and now is considering drafting this kid.

The good thing is atleast BB doesn't think our RB core is fine like many on this board.

He wanted Hardesty in the 2nd and now is considering drafting this kid.

Just curious, but how do you know he wanted Hardesty?

Just curious, but how do you know he wanted Hardesty?

Sorry if I am wrong, I remember a thread on day 3 draft day that had a report that BB wanted Hardesty, but Cleveland took him. So he settled on Brandon Spikes.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey