PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Cap... 16.1 Million somewhat of an illusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
People have mentioned the Pats being 16.1 million under the cap. I feel that its somewhat of an illusion. Here's why:

1) You can figure that they are going to put the 5.8 million of Seymour's August bonus right against the cap. I'd be very surprised if they made it a signing bonus over a roster bonus.

2) Add to that the 4.5 million or so for the Rookie salaries.

3) Deion Branch still needs his contract extended and that will eat up much of the remaining 6 million.

and people get cut too..so we should have 5 million left if all goes planned :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Remix 6 said:
and people get cut too..so we should have 5 million left if all goes planned :)

There won't be 5 million worth of players cut.

because it wont even get to 1 million. with all signings..how do you expect Titans to sign their players with just 1 million..less actually? Cuts..restructures ... and Deion wont be taking that much

Remix 6 said:
because it wont even get to 1 million. with all signings..how do you expect Titans to sign their players with just 1 million..less actually? Cuts..restructures ... and Deion wont be taking that much

Deion Branch isn't taking much now. Any extension he signs will definitely INCREASE his cap hit. My guess is that Deion's cap hit will go up 3-4 million with his new contract.

I think the real illusion is Branch resigning.Which is fine by me BB is better than Gargamel at catching smurfs.

DaBruinz said:
Deion Branch isn't taking much now. Any extension he signs will definitely INCREASE his cap hit. My guess is that Deion's cap hit will go up 3-4 million with his new contract.

He didn't sign yet, so how is that an illusion.

People are hoping that part of that 16 mill is used to lock up Branch. Not that there is 16 mil after any possible extension.

I'm just praying they extend him!

DaBruinz said:
3) Deion Branch still needs his contract extended and that will eat up much of the remaining 6 million.
"that would eat up much . . ." is more accurate. I'll be (happily) surprised if that gets done.

DarthPatriot said:
I think the real illusion is Branch resigning.Which is fine by me BB is better than Gargamel at catching smurfs.

I think we need to get a few more, carry seven on the roster, and call them the Seven Deadly Dwarves. But that's just me.

DaBruinz said:
2) Add to that the 4.5 million or so for the Rookie salaries.

$4.5 million is the gross cap hit but because of the Top 51 rule the net cap hit for the 2006 Patriots draft pick class will be around $1.8 million.

BelichickFan said:
"that would eat up much . . ." is more accurate. I'll be (happily) surprised if that gets done.

Actually could or might would be even more accurate.

Deion is at $1.2M on the cap. I don't see him getting more than 5/$25M (maybe plus incentives) and not more than an $8M signing bonus. First year of that deal $1.045M salary (stays the same) and proration of $1.6M signing bonus = $3.05M cap hit (net increase $1.8M)

I think IF Deion's deal gets done his cap will go up to $3M or so in 2006 rather than up by $3-4M IMO.

The Pats are in the position of deciding whether to absorb some hits this year that they hadn't really planned on being able to, or rolling a few million bucks forward into 2007 or even spreading some hits out if they need the 2006 cap windfall to sign another FA or two for this season.

sarge said:
He didn't sign yet, so how is that an illusion.

People are hoping that part of that 16 mill is used to lock up Branch. Not that there is 16 mil after any possible extension.

I'm just praying they extend him!

Since you missed it, the ILLUSION is the idea that the Pats have 16 million in free cap space.

With the possible exception of adding either Law or a veteran ILB, I don't really see the need for any additions on this team. Neither of those are necessities anyway. We're ready to be the best team in the league right now, despite what dumba*s national pundits say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back