PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats can"t run the ball...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krugman

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
According to the pundits lately,and certainly there werent many running plays attempted yesterday.This team was among the top 10 in the league for most of this season re rushing yds per game,suddenly ,the talking heads are all chirping "The Patriots cant run the ball".Sounds like he 2001 season to me.Not that the Pats were a juggernaut re the running game that year,but they always allotted around 30-40 % of the plays as running situations.as I recall. It makes sense to me that you dont run the ball into the teeth of a defence that excels at stopping the run,especially when you you have a passing attack like this team.Is it just me that listens to this "analysis"and says "WTF???" Sorry for the rant...

brady said something interesting on the radio today with regard to the pats current offensive philosophy. Basically he said that a couple years ago he remembers playing the colts and every single time Peyton handed the ball off, even when Edge was getting 7 or 8 yards a carry, they breathed a sigh of relief on the sidelines. In other words, they'd rather give up 7 or 8 on the ground than a 25-35 yard strike to harrison. they basically were openly questioning why Indy was even bothering to run the ball at all.

So basically, New England has come to the realization this year that if you can get consistent production from the passing game, there's no point in running the ball, because you can gain more yards passing. If the opposition can't stop the pass, why would you bother running?

just thought it was illuminating given the assumption by most that all the passing means we can't run the ball. you know, rather than that we just came to the conclusion that running the ball is for ****ies.

I think it's a massive error to assume that this team can't run the ball if they want to.

According to the pundits lately,and certainly there werent many running plays attempted yesterday.This team was among the top 10 in the league for most of this season re rushing yds per game,suddenly ,the talking heads are all chirping "The Patriots cant run the ball".Sounds like he 2001 season to me.Not that the Pats were a juggernaut re the running game that year,but they always allotted around 30-40 % of the plays as running situations.as I recall. It makes sense to me that you dont run the ball into the teeth of a defence that excels at stopping the run,especially when you you have a passing attack like this team.Is it just me that listens to this "analysis"and says "WTF???" Sorry for the rant...

If we had a healthy Sammy Morris, we'd be running the ball more. Why risk Maroney to injury when you can light up the air. While Maroney hasn't lived up to the lofty expectations most of us had for him, I still believe he could give us a solid running game if asked, but then again, why do it if you don't have to? He could be very valuable come playoff time.

Our rushing attack in all 3 superbowl years:

2001 - Ranked 13th in rushing yards per game 112.1
Ranked 23rd in YPC 3.8

2003 - Ranked 23rd in rushing YPG 100.4
Ranked 30th in YPC 3.4

2004 - Ranked 7th in Rushing YPG 133.4
Ranked 17th in YPC 4.1

For a bonus last year's stats:

2006 - Ranked 12th in rushing YPG 123.1
Ranked 18th in YPC 3.9

Now for 2007
Ranked 14th in rushing YPG 113.7
Ranked T-15th in YPC 4.0

As of right now the only SB team that out rushed the current team, is the 2004 version.

Now, I might be going out on a limb here, but I believe this year's passing offense is slightly better than the 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2006 SB-AFCC teams. :cool:

Last edited:
If we had a healthy Sammy Morris, we'd be running the ball more. Why risk Maroney to injury when you can light up the air. While Maroney hasn't lived up to the lofty expectations most of us had for him, I still believe he could give us a solid running game if asked, but then again, why do it if you don't have to? He could be very valuable come playoff time.

That is what I am hoping for. A fresh and healthy Maroney come January, it might be wishfull thinking. But I for one will not put it past BB. Everyone comes in trying to stop the pass with nickel and dime packages only to be gashed by the run, then sliced by the pass.

Again it may be wishfull thinking but....

Basically he said that a couple years ago he remembers playing the colts and every single time Peyton handed the ball off even when Edge was getting 7 or 8 yards a carry, they breathed a sigh of relief

Heh, I remember feeling this way as well.

Last edited:
I don't know. With Maroney and Morris we are not too bad.

The running game opens up the passing game. And when you are on the two yard line you should be able to push it in -- not take a chance with a pass.

A running game is very important. To underestimate it is a very, very big mistake.

If we had a good running game we would have been far better off in the Eagles and Ravens games. In fact, if it was not for Maroney in the Ravens game we would have lost.

Also, did I mention bad weather games. We will see them this month.

But, I would love to see us go after McFadden. Why not????

Think we are fun to watch now, oh, it would be lights out.

wtf -- I already posted a pats run game thread to end all run game threads.

I don't know. With Maroney and Morris we are not too bad.

The running game opens up the passing game. And when you are on the two yard line you should be able to push it in -- not take a chance with a pass.

A running game is very important. To underestimate it is a very, very big mistake.

If we had a good running game we would have been far better off in the Eagles and Ravens games. In fact, if it was not for Maroney in the Ravens game we would have lost.

Also, did I mention bad weather games. We will see them this month.

But, I would love to see us go after McFadden. Why not????

Think we are fun to watch now, oh, it would be lights out.

No doubt that McFadden is a stud and would be something to watch out of the backfield, but IMO, I don't know if the cost equals the #2 pick hype, and not too mention we would have to be scoring a lot of points as our defense continually ages among the LBers.

Most of you guys got this but to erase any doubts I dont subscribe to that viewpoint,just ticked at the fools who keep saying that when the stats say otherwise....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back