PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats can still win the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
His Patriots' numbers, clearly. As I said, the Patriots signed him because they didn't consider him a JAG.

By the way, when you deliberately averaged 29 and 67 catches together in order to have the first year pull the second year down, your argument pretty much lost any credibility you might have thought it had.

in between his 2 Miami years and last year is 80 catches and 871 yards

I'll take the "under" on either of those figures, you can pick. $50 bet. there is my credibility.

The only problem with all of this is that the Super Bowl effect could happen now. Some of the older players may have a difficult time staying motivated after all of last years work

in between his 2 Miami years and last year is 80 catches and 871 yards

I'll take the "under" on either of those figures, you can pick. $50 bet. there is my credibility.

No, in the toilet after trying to pull down a 60+ catch season is where your credibility is.

Brady going down trumps all that. I am more than happy to take away the ifs game. See how the Jets would have done if Favre went down in the first quarter and Mangini and Schottenheimer had to revise the gameplan on the fly for Clemmens........

.........who if they thought was any good anyway they wouldn't have brought in Favre.

No, in the toilet after trying to pull down a 60+ catch season is where your credibility is.

thought would you back down when money got involved. go back to ignoring facts and waving pompoms. gnight

Last edited:
I think we're ignoring something. Randy said he kept watching the tunnel for Brady. Do you think he was the only one?

The team all had to be mentally tough to even do what they did.

Deltha O'Neil, Ellis Hobbs, Mike Vrabel, Randy Moss, and Matt effin' Cassel stepped up to make this a W.

The rest will catch up, too. There's a rough mental battle to be won and the small victories will mean a whole lot more this year.

Jets Suck

Something that a lot of people are forgetting is that they can now cater the offense to Cassel's strengths and concentrate on the things he does best. Previous to this he had just taken reps with what Brady was good at.

I also think it's important that he's never started a game before. People keep bringing this up as a negative, but Cassel's never had to play without a safety net and some guys don't do well like that. This is the first time he'll be the starter, the leader, and one way or the other we'll see a new Matt Cassel.

He's not going to be as good as Tom, but I think with a good running game and some help from Welker and Moss we could see some pretty solid numbers from him.

thought so. go back to ignoring facts and waving pompoms. gnight

I'm not ignoring the facts. The facts are that you merged 2 seasons together in order to attempt making an invalid point seem valid. It would be one thing if your argument was that Welker's numbers will be lower this year. That was very possible no matter who was at quarterback. It's another to massage the numbers in order to denigrate the player when the player had 67 catches the year before being traded for by the Patriots. That's where the credibility hit the crapper.

Last edited:
I'm not ignoring the facts. The facts are that you merged 2 seasons together in order to attempt making an invalid point seem valid.

here you go

listen, if you think my point is "invalid" then you should have no problem taking my bet. pick a mod you trust, we'll each send him $50. after the season ends that mod sends the winner $100.

I'm not gonna sit here and explain why taking a large sample is valid. you disagree so, take the bet. send me a PM if you want to accept, Im going to bed

Last edited:
The Bears went to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman just two years ago. Granted the Bears defense was probably better than the Pats' will be and the NFC is weaker than the AFC, but the Bears don't have BB or the experience that the Pats have. Cassel most likely will not be as bad as Grossman was in his bad games, but the Bears still won. If Grossman can do it, Matt Cassel can too.

Thanks for citing to something which means absolutely nothing in the context of the discussion. Here YOU go:

http://www.realestatewebmasters.com/blogs/uploads/toilet.jpg

Deus, Just saying...

1YouRockCHICKguitar.gif

Matt Cassel definately isn't Tom Brady as we know him now, but who's to say he can't be the 2001 Tom Brady who managed games and took what defenses gave him? On paper, he has a much stronger supporting cast than Brady had. It all starts up front, if our OL can perform anything like they did last season (minus the SB of course :( ) this team can still go places IMO. Give Cassel some time with Moss, Welker, and a deep, effective backfield and he will be adequate.

This defense doesn't have the corners or ILB's (no Ted, much older Tedy) we had in 2001 but is arguably better at every other positiion. Most importantly, we must believe Belichick can get it done. After last year this is the ultimate chance for him to stick it to his haters.

Last edited:
the answer to your question is no, but some are saying the Pats are going to put an improbable SB run together but have to go to the wire to beat the Chiefs.

So no super bowl champion has ever had to go to the wire with a subpar team in the regular season, let alone lose to one? Ah, news to me

Moss and welker >> branch and givens.

The patriots also have maroney and morris and faulk, so the pats can still make it to the playoffs.

This team has tremendous talent surrounding the Qb position. From Moss, to Welker to Maroney to L. Jordan to D. Thomas to K. Faulk this is a Qb's dream. The defense is filled with young developing talent.

Cassel will struggle early and gradually develop as he gains experience. The Pats will just have to win in different ways than last year. The veterans on this team will have to extend Cassel their full support [I'm talking to you Moss!] and understand there will be growing pains. The veterans will have to show the character to believe in Cassel even when their eyes tell them not to. This season will be an act of faith for fans and vets and a test of character for everyone.

From this point on, Cassel has my complete support as the standard bearer of our franchise.

Scanning the league, I believe this is a down season for the AFC. SD is weakened on several levels. Indy could be due for a down year. Pittsburgh has holes on the O and D lines which will take their toll as the season wears on. Buffalo looks very strong. But the pats, even with the G.O.A.T gone, are still in it, and can win it.

As far as Brady's injury is concerned... Pats fans don't need to stoop to the level of our enemies, and wish injury on our opponents just because their fans wish them on our players.

For example, it's not Jets players' fault their fans are monsters.

IMO the unprecedented smear job directed at our franchise from the media over the trumped up Spygate "scandal" set the stage for this injury. It became chic to hate the Pats, to vilify them, to make them "less human" than other teams, like some WW II propaganda cartoon. Wilbon encouraged players to take out Brady's knee. The Giant "Bootprint" trumpeted with glee in the press called for "roughing up" Brady by any means necessary.

I also believe Brady's pocket awareness and timing were off due to the lack of preseason play. He did not seem to sense the field as well as he has in the past due to rust.

Wow, I wont rain on your parade. After all, this is your forum and at least you're not throwing in the towel like some NE fans I've seen here. Just curious what are the "several levels" the Chargers are now weakened? Because the general consensus, not only in SD but around the league is that we're even stronger than last year (excluding current injuries). Both lines are essentially the same, all the position players the same, and our secondary is better. We lost Turner, but replaced him with three very talented backs (IMO the 3=Turner). And our LB core is so deep its silly, even without SM. Now, Rivers and the rest of the team has a full year under their belt with the new coaching staff. Our injuries suck, but that's only temporary. How are we now weakened?

This team has tremendous talent surrounding the Qb position. From Moss, to Welker to Maroney to L. Jordan to D. Thomas to K. Faulk this is a Qb's dream. The defense is filled with young developing talent.

Cassel will struggle early and gradually develop as he gains experience. The Pats will just have to win in different ways than last year. The veterans on this team will have to extend Cassel their full support [I'm talking to you Moss!] and understand there will be growing pains. The veterans will have to show the character to believe in Cassel even when their eyes tell them not to. This season will be an act of faith for fans and vets and a test of character for everyone.

From this point on, Cassel has my complete support as the standard bearer of our franchise.

Scanning the league, I believe this is a down season for the AFC. SD is weakened on several levels. Indy could be due for a down year. Pittsburgh has holes on the O and D lines which will take their toll as the season wears on. Buffalo looks very strong. But the pats, even with the G.O.A.T gone, are still in it, and can win it.

As far as Brady's injury is concerned... Pats fans don't need to stoop to the level of our enemies, and wish injury on our opponents just because their fans wish them on our players.

For example, it's not Jets players' fault their fans are monsters.

IMO the unprecedented smear job directed at our franchise from the media over the trumped up Spygate "scandal" set the stage for this injury. It became chic to hate the Pats, to vilify them, to make them "less human" than other teams, like some WW II propaganda cartoon. Wilbon encouraged players to take out Brady's knee. The Giant "Bootprint" trumpeted with glee in the press called for "roughing up" Brady by any means necessary.

I also believe Brady's pocket awareness and timing were off due to the lack of preseason play. He did not seem to sense the field as well as he has in the past due to rust.

You are fu(king dreaming dude - I am getting ready to watch the next few months just for the love of football and NOT SB expectations,only homers with several beers already downed today believe that Matt Freakin Cassel is going to take this team on his shoulders to the promised land when even future HOFer QB Brady could not do it with a more talented team last year.

Its almost hysterical the hopes that some of you have regarding this no talent backup qb but I stopped short of laughing because this injury has taken 7 months of expectations and thrown them down the toilet and I cannot help feeling depressed like millions of Patriot Nation fans feel tonight - There is always next year though.

In fact I can almost guarantee you that Matt Cassel will not last as QB all season because whoever BB finds on the market (and he will) should soon take over in a few weeks or less

Of course if Brady somehow resurfaces before the season is over it would be nothing short of miraculous if he survives the dreaded IR list - doubtful though :(

I appreciate your positive outlook on things but the season is over. The Pats will finish with 7-10 wins at the most east schedule or not. The Chiefs easily could have tied it yesterday. Put that game in KC and MC has a tougher go. Things will get allot worse in NY before they get better week 3.

The season belongs to the SD Chargers, Colts or Stealers now unfortunately.

I just don't see MC having another decent game. He will have to learn as he goes and this will result in losing some games the team should be wining.

I will still watch and cheer but my expectations are certainly much, much lower.

I read the first post and a few replies, then skipped the rest so I'm probably repeating a lot of what's been said...

The Pats can win SB43, but it's a longshot. They'll need a lot of things to fall in place much like they did in 2001, both of their doing and things beyond their control. The way I see it happening is:

1. Defense, especially secondary, must become stout all year. I think the front 7 is already there as the DL is one of the three best in football and the addition of Mayo and a rejuvinated Bruschi seriously upgrades the starting LB unit. The questionmarks are in the secondary since Hobbs isn't considered league-wide a shutdown corner and the other corner spot will get thrown at a lot anyway. Harrison has lost a step per NFL circles so TEs he's covering will see lots of balls thrown their way. With the secondary considered a weakness and the front 7 considered a strength, it's natural to expect the secondary to get tested week in and week out so they'll have to have a strong showing. Any Sept/Oct 2005 repeat performances by the secondary and this team is toast as I don't trust the Cassell-lead offense to win shootouts.

2. Sammy Morris and LaMont Jordan will be relied upon heavily. Teams are going to dare Cassell to beat them by loading up the box. The Pats will have to slam these defenses up the gut and grind out yards, a game better suited to Morris and Jordan than to Maroney. The guards pulling and trapping game that fits Maroney's style won't work against these Ds. Plus, Morris and Jordan are better pass catchers and will be more effective in play-action on 1st and 2nd downs.

3. Cassell must prove to the league he can be effective with Moss and Welker taken out of the game. Especially on obvious passing downs, teams are going to zone blitz Cassell (think Jason Taylor's pick 6 last year), double-Moss and jam Welker, hoping to force a bad throw. They'll hope taking away his top two receivers and testing his blitz reading capabilities will prove he's not ready to take this team anywhere. How well Cassell finds Gaffney, Watson, Faulk, Thomas, Morris et al is going to be the biggest indicator how far he can take this team.

I'm positive that even if Cassell looks good in September, game film will catch up to him and the league will temper any hot start he could have, making the late season games all dogfights. I'm also positive that the Pats will suffer at least one more key injury (probably a few) as it just seems unrealistic to expect good health for the entire season. I expect this team to win 10 games and make the playoffs, either pulling out the division as a #3 or 4 seed or as the 5th or 6th wildcard team. From there, they'll have to play some outstanding football and win a fluky game or two (think Snow Game, AFCCG 2001, San Diego 2006) to make and win SB43.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots