PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Broncos Discussion: Want to throw against star cornerback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weswelker#83

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Want to throw against star cornerback? Broncos' Bailey says to bring it on
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13501588

It is often difficult for Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey to practice patience on game day.

He often runs one sprint after another, following receivers who don't see the ball because an eight-time Pro Bowl selection is next to them. But Bailey is hoping, after Sunday's victory over Dallas, that things may change.

"I would love that, really look forward to it," said Bailey, who will be named AFC defensive player of the week today. "Things could be different."

Sunday, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo challenged Bailey in 1-on-1 coverage more than any quarterback Bailey recalls during his time with the Broncos. Romo even threw Bailey's way on back-to-back plays to close out the game. Bailey knocked away the passes, both intended for Sam Hurd, as the Broncos preserved the victory.

Bailey believes there could be more afternoons like that on his agenda because of the Broncos' pass rush and Andre Goodman on the other side of the formation. The Broncos have been far more aggressive rushing the passer this season and rank second in the league with 15 sacks.

And Goodman, signed in free agency this past offseason, has not been an easy alternative for opposing quarterbacks to solve when they shy away from Bailey.

As a result, when opposing passers are faced with Bailey in 1-on-1 coverage, which is where offensive planning says the ball should go, they let the ball fly instead of going into coverage away from him.

Goodman and Bailey each have a pick this season

Be careful what you wish for! :)

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing some Champ vs. Moss. I hope there's some one on one without a safety there. Should be fun and I'm sure they'll each win some matchups.

LOL

im guessing they will put bailey on Moss, and andre on welker....

if they do that, our #3 WR better have come to play, and our TE's will be crucial

I'm looking forward to seeing some Champ vs. Moss. I hope there's some one on one without a safety there. Should be fun and I'm sure they'll each win some matchups.

I still have flashbacks to 2005 and that playoff game (it is also the reason I will never really dump on Ben Watson as that run and hit on Bailey was the highlight of the game and up there with Vinatieri running down and leg tackling Herschel Walker on a kickoff return). Frankly, I have no clue why Romo would choose to throw in Bailey's direction given the likely result. Bailey is older now, but I would prefer not to see his ability tested in this game. Pick on the rest of that secondary.

Yes, same here.

Bailey expects Patriots quarterback Tom Brady to keep the challenges coming Sunday with Moss, whom Bailey has always respected, even when Moss was floundering in Oakland.

"Did he have a quarterback?" Bailey retorted. "It's like night and day with him when he has a quarterback. He does good things. People say he dogged it in Oakland, but I don't think so. The thing was he didn't have somebody to give him the ball."

Brady can definitely get Moss the ball.

However, the three-time Super Bowl winner is wary of testing Bailey.

Brady tried to squeeze in a pass deep in Denver's territory in a 2005 playoff game, only to have Bailey jump the route in the south end zone and return it 100 yards to set up a game-sealing score, handing Brady his first playoff loss.

So, how smart is it to challenge Bailey?

"I don't think it's smart at all," Brady said. "I don't think I'm going to come into the game saying, 'Let's see how many times we can throw at Champ
The Associated Press: Bailey relishes increase in passes coming his way

I still have flashbacks to 2005 and that playoff game (it is also the reason I will never really dump on Ben Watson as that run and hit on Bailey was the highlight of the game and up there with Vinatieri running down and leg tackling Herschel Walker on a kickoff return). Frankly, I have no clue why Romo would choose to throw in Bailey's direction given the likely result. Bailey is older now, but I would prefer not to see his ability tested in this game. Pick on the rest of that secondary.

Have they ever played a worse game than that one since 03? Something like 24 points scored off turnovers.

I guess maybe the Wade Phillips "that was n ass kicking" game was worse.

Bailey is still good, but he's not 2004-2005 good. In last season's game with the Broncos, he was getting burned routinely by Randy Moss before he got injured. The only difference in that game was that Matt Cassel was the quarterback. This time, he'll have to contend with a QB that can get the ball to Moss deep if he gets behind Bailey.

Bailey is still good, but he's not 2004-2005 good. In last season's game with the Broncos, he was getting burned routinely by Randy Moss before he got injured. The only difference in that game was that Matt Cassel was the quarterback. This time, he'll have to contend with a QB that can get the ball to Moss deep if he gets behind Bailey.

I disagree...the pats were up...and going to win no doubt...with all the turnovers and the defense as a whole was terrible...but Moss was doing next to nothing while Bailey was in the game...he had something like 1 catch for 14 yards or something....then Bailey left the game with an injury and Moss got in on the action....he was eating Dre Bly alive not Champ...and the Pats offense is patient....why would they challenge when you have Wes Welker to create mismatches all over the field with...I think the matchup to watch is the Denver pass rush vs the Pats O-line....if Denver can't force Brady to move or get in his face quickly...Welker or the RB's will find space all day long

The Broncos defense sucked last year. I think people lose sight of DBs, they often blame them when it's in fact the pass rusher in front of them fault. Bailey can only do as much as the pass rush helps. He's great, but he's not covering Moss for over 5 seconds. The Denver defense is all about getting after the QB, so it's going to be interesting to see how they throw that off. I doubt Brady will even have the time to challenge bailey

I disagree...the pats were up...and going to win no doubt...with all the turnovers and the defense as a whole was terrible...but Moss was doing next to nothing while Bailey was in the game...he had something like 1 catch for 14 yards or something....then Bailey left the game with an injury and Moss got in on the action....he was eating Dre Bly alive not Champ...and the Pats offense is patient....why would they challenge when you have Wes Welker to create mismatches all over the field with...I think the matchup to watch is the Denver pass rush vs the Pats O-line....if Denver can't force Brady to move or get in his face quickly...Welker or the RB's will find space all day long

This is, w/out question, Welker's week. I don't see Brady having more than 3 seconds consistently in the pocket all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down