PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats bring CB Ty Law in for physical ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyJohnson said:
I disagree. If he came back and played at a reasonable level (I agree pro-bowl doesnt mean good, and 10 Ints dont mean good, but he was better than any corner we had last year) after having a very short (too short) rehab, why would you assume age caught up to him? I would make that assumption if he had a reasonable time to rehab and was still out of shape.
Look at it this way, if he was 22 when that injury happened, he still wouldnt have been in shape to start the season.

Yes, I agree with this. He wouldn't have been in shape to start the season. But it is highly likely that a 22 year old Law would have rounded into better shape more quickly. I really think the change in rules had more to do with his struggles last year than his recovery from surgery.

I can't believe how easily we have forgotten 2 months of WR running rampanty through our secondary to the point where every team we faced couldnt wait to go deep on us.

I tend to think that was because 1) lack of a pass rush early on, and 2) Duane Starks. It seemed to me to be teams couldn't wait to challenge Starks deep, not the Patriots secondary deep.

You missed my point on the youngsters vs Law.

You are saying maybe Law isnt what he was. I am saying we dont have anyone who EVER WAS what Law was.
In other words, even if Law has declined, he has quite a way to come down and still be better than anyone else we have at the position.

No, I caught your point. We both feel he's (probably) not what he was. Either I think he's declined much more than you do, or I think our other corners are better than you do. Probably some of both.

DESERTPAT said:
I will always remember the "Great" (his discription) Mike Haynes as a Raider. Bringing him back to wave to the crowd with the likes of Steve Grogan, Andre Tippett and Steve Nelson was a travesty. Ty Law is a mercenary and I hope he never wears a Patriot Uniform again. Raymond Clayborn was a true Patriot and should be remembered as the best Patiots d-back of all time. Law lovers crack me up - BB made Ty Law, not the other way around.

How do you feel about Clayborn's last season with the Browns?

AndyJohnson said:
If you discount 10 Int because they are throwing at him a lot , how do you account for all of our corners, who had to get thrown at more combined than Law not having 10 combined? I can understand expllaining away an extra pick or 2, but not 10.

I think we basically agree here, AJ. I'm explaining away maybe 4 or 5 of his 10 picks --- but not discounting their importance. He usually wouldn't get close to 10 picks in his old days on the Pats because opponents were smart enough to avoid throwing his way. But when they avoided Law and threw elsewhere, our "elsewhere" didn't have the ball skills to make 10 picks. Neither did last year's Patriots secondary. I kind of like Law in the new role of being thrown at a lot. It may make him even more valuable!

MoLewisrocks said:
He's not with the JETS any more because they gave him that phony one year contract with the huge option clause and they couldn't afford to exercise it if they wanted to. They gave him a $4M roster bonus last December bringing his 2005 compensation up to $6.5M in the hopes he would renegotiate the remainder of the deal out of a sense of goodwill. That was their second mistake. The first was taking him on in rehab mode, although one thing you can never say is that Ty won't play hurt and still manage to be more effective than Duane Starks. BB values that capacity as it has been in short supply around here lately.

Ty will be signed for his talent. That talent is more easily realized here in this system. BB knows how to put Ty in a position to be effective without resorting to freelancing or relying on physicality. Teams that might sign him for his potential leadership are tilting at windmills as the JETS found out. We know he is not a leader, he's a performer. We have others to lead. We need guys who can perform.

He and BB have been talking all along. You've never seen that widespread rumor denied. Over the weekend Herm the Hugger again chose to say something snappy about Ty (the fish story quote) and that may have reminded Ty that Herm also hung him out to dry last November when an entire team was floundering. That is something BB never does.

It will still all come down to money. How much we are willing to pay vs. whatever else the Poston's are able to finagle out of any other bidder. Tennessee is out of it until they figure out the McNair situation, and even then with the #1 QB in the draft to sign they won't have much left to work with. In KC he will have Surtain's contract gnawing at him. Here at least he would be the highest paid and lone pro bowl CB on the roster. If Ty is back in shape 18 months post injury BB would most definitely be interested. And while it won't be for stupid money or phony money, and would likely include lots of incentive based money, it won't be for chump change either. We were willing to trade a draft pick for the pleasure of paying Duane Starks 2/$7M to replace him when we had a lot less cap to work with.

Mo, as a Latin School boy I learned to recognize a cogent and unassailable argument, you've laid the case for Ty as well as anyone. Hopefully, the haters will realize that BB respects Ty's game and want him back for a reason - he's productive.

I would argue that Bill was making an oblique reference to Law when he mentioned, in a his Sunday press conference, that good corners and pass rushers will always get paid for what they do. Let's hope that we get our guy back. I know the Patriots, to a man, are praying that #24 is out there next year.

I love Ty Law. He is my boy. But I wish he'd knocked the ball down. :( :( :(
dskfbcredonecatch092494.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
AndyJohnson said:
I think a lot of people either werent watching Ty Law play corner for this team, or are blinded by dislike.

Eric Warfiled, Chad Scott, a rookie 7th rounder compared to Ty Law is ludicrous. Ellis Hobbs, Randall Gay and Asante Samuel have yet to play near Law's level.
Perhaps Law isnt what he used to be but we have no one who has ever been what Law used to be.
I think a lot of people either werent watching Mike Haynes play corner for this team, or are blinded by dislike.

Eric Warfiled, Chad Scott, a rookie 7th rounder compared to Mike Haynes is ludicrous. Ellis Hobbs, Randall Gay and Asante Samuel have yet to play near Haynes' level.

Perhaps Haynes isnt what he used to be but we have no one who has ever been what Haynes used to be.

Used to be good isn't enough. What about NEXT year?

Maybe Law can play again, maybe he can't. I can't break down tape like you and BB and others. But I was not impressed with what I saw with the Jets. He WAS fat, he gambled and won stats while the team lost games. Herm has no interest in getting him back, nad neither do Jets fans.

Maybe he can help, but I think mostly he wants to help himself. I don't think he will help this team as much as people believe.

I would rather say good-bye to a player one year early rather than one year late. So far it seems that we said good-bye to Ty exactly on time. I'd rather not have him here one year too late, even if we do have cap $$$ to burn.

Last edited:
Michigan Dave said:
I love Ty Law. He is my boy. But I wish he'd knocked the ball down. :( :( :(
dskfbcredonecatch092494.gif

One of the best college games I've seen. Awesome.

dryheat44 said:
One of the best college games I've seen. Awesome.

No. Not awesome at all. Devastating. Horrible. Awful. How the HELL did he throw the ball 70 yards. Why the HELL did we only rush 3. Ugh. Oh well. Ty made up for it by dominating Peyton for me.

Ty Law is one of the best corners in the league. He was a top corner few years ago and in my opinion..is still better than any cover man we have. Bring Law back .. i will have my mother bake him an apple pie if he decides to come for cheaper and we can be happy..once he starts playing and getting TOs..then you'll all say .. man that was a good move

It really was getting old last year seeing so many "near" interceptions.

dryheat44 said:
Ray Clayborn would be #3 on that list. Would you like to sign him?

At some point, we have to say goodbye to the all-time greats in order to move forward.
Agreed. McGinest...gone, Vinatraitor....gone....Givens...gone.

Let's move on people, we don't need Ty Law.

Ty, come talk to us when you're ready to retire. We'll sign you to a one day contract and have a presss conference.

I was watching 3 Games to Glory III this weeked. I don't know why, amybe because it was RAINING still.

Anyway our DB's consisted of Gay, Samuels, Wilson, and RODNEY. They played as well as any DB unit that we have had in the past 5 years.

The glue to that entire unit is RODNEY.

AS far as Ty-rent a-Law is concerned, we should sign him at a reasonable price. If he wants big bucks, we shouldn't do it. Ill say 4 mil per year cap hit would be fine.

But, the key to our secondary this year will not be Law. The key is RODNEY. And he willbe back for the first game:rocker:

As per Fox sports..they both think he's back...Dpn't see what is wrong with it at all!! IF they money is right...why not???

Pats726 said:
As per Fox sports..they both think he's back...Dpn't see what is wrong with it at all!! IF they money is right...why not???

Who is "They both" ??

PATSNUTme said:
I was watching 3 Games to Glory III this weeked. I don't know why, amybe because it was RAINING still.

I watched those three games myself on Sunday. Good stuff.

I'm all for Law coming here. Belichick's goal is to win the SB. Veterans are part of that mix every year. He really won't be pushing a younger player out of the picture because technically, he would be 1 of 5 and right now we have 4 we can count on.

Of course he has skills we could use.
And shmessy's suggestion of "Rodney insurance" is excellent.

The ENTIRE QUESTION is value-for-money.
Undoubtedly, that is why the parties have been dancing this minuet so long.

I would have started at a 4 million dollar value for one year (plus whatever absurd -
but cancellable! - out-years his handlers cared to concoct.)
Shakadave, however, warms my heart with his suggestion of three mil.

THAT would seem to be the right price.

PATSNUTme said:

Anyway our DB's consisted of Gay, Samuels, Wilson, and RODNEY. They played as well as any DB unit that we have had in the past 5 years.

The glue to that entire unit is RODNEY.

AS far as Ty-rent a-Law is concerned, we should sign him at a reasonable price. If he wants big bucks, we shouldn't do it. Ill say 4 mil per year cap hit would be fine.

But, the key to our secondary this year will not be Law. The key is RODNEY. And he willbe back for the first game:rocker:

You didnt watch good enough because the Eagles had almost 400 yards passing and McNabb had 3 TD passes. IF you call that playing well then I dunno what you were watching at all.

Last edited:
Frustrating.......

Ok, I've said all along we need a CB. If Law can be had for a reasonable price I'm all for it. He will bring stability via his experience to a D that has only Rodney who is very questionable for the season opener.

He will, or hopefully will, mentor = A BIG +
Last year he was out of game shape = picked on, had to cheat to cover.?
33 and going the wrong way on a one way street = How old is RH (injury recovery too)???
If TL has recovered fully and is in shape the only negative is money, ya think??

I feel we need a proven vet CB to make our D complete, hopefully.
If the price is right for BB why not TL? Even going the wrong way he is the best out there and knows what is expected here.
We all talk about impact players, Law is that impact player, if the price is right. Anyway BB wouldn't bring him in if he didn't think Ty still had value.

Also, we still don't know anything untill it is announced. Hate speculation! :rolleyes: ...............................:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back