PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats & Bo Scaife? (a possible scenario)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any interest in Scaife, he's mostly a receiving TE, but does not have great speed. He's tendered for 4.9 million this year, so I don't think he'd take a contract worth less than say 4 million a year on a long term deal...which would make him overpaid for his skill set. Then the issue is what is the compensation for Bo Scaife? This is a good year for TE's in the draft, and I think we could get a TE with a better upside than Scaife in the 3rd round or later (I realize we don't have a 3rd at this time, just making a point on the depth of the position).

I'd hate to have to overpay and give up any early pick for Scaife, who would not be much of an upgrade over Watson...

Draft a good TE and get a younger player on the cheap for at least 4 years.

I like reading all the rumors or ideas concerning acquiring a tight end. It is the next best thing to a game. I guarantee BB already has chosen his tight ends. Either by trade which will be announced at a later date, or a cut player which is already a done deal. He may pick one up in the draft, but would think theirs some uncertainty in that. This is BB we are talking about, does anyone think he's cut, not signed his TE without having a plan.

Give a pick to Chicgo for Olson, sign Crumpler , dont waste another pick on a Tight end.. save those for DE and LB and a stud WR

Give a pick to Chicgo for Olson, sign Crumpler , dont waste another pick on a Tight end.. save those for DE and LB and a stud WR

Well said! Especially the pick for Olson. He has been a good TE with spotty QB play. I think there is even more of an upside to him. The Bears need the picks and SOLID TE, that is also able to catch the ball well, would be a great addition.

I am confused with this whole receiving TE option when we use a heavy dose of SLot receivers in our system.

with edelman and wes in the slot why the heck do you need a receiving TE

Unless the Titans were willing to make a trade for much less than a first, there is no chance of the Pats getting Bo Scaife. The guy is not a first round talent.

I am confused with this whole receiving TE option when we use a heavy dose of SLot receivers in our system.

Its all about having options and going to the hot receiver who will catch the ball whether it be a WR,TE or RB.

Give Brady what the Colts have - Clark, Wayne, Collie, Gonzalez and Garcon. 5 legit targets and not scrubs like Aiken, Stanback and Galloway.

Its all about having options and going to the hot receiver who will catch the ball whether it be a WR,TE or RB.

Give Brady what the Colts have - Clark, Wayne, Collie, Gonzalez and Garcon. 5 legit targets and not scrubs like Aiken, Stanback and Galloway.

so you will have what

2 Outside WR
and Wes/Edelman inside or both that is your 3/4 WR set.

what you need is a blocking TE then so i am confuse where this guy will run patterns.

Wes runs option routes depending on coverage hence you can only use 1 slot guy in that option routes. if outside leverage is shown he will cut inside running into where your TE will be running. !!! 2 WR ,2 DB and ILB in a small area is an interception waiting to happen and also reduces the effectivness of your SLOT guy.

You don't, but those are the guys with name recognition and a track record of production they won't realize here, so that is who the chicken littles naturally want since they see him as a savior...

So don't waste a pick on a drafted TE, waste it on a name FA...

There is a kid from Iowa (coached by BB protogee Kirk Firenz) who is supposed to be the whole package, but since Graham struggled to catch passes out of college and then missed tons of time becoming something he didn't want to be (a blocker) and Watson lost his rookie season to IR and never put it all together consistently, they never want to draft another TE early. Ditto WR, since Branch and Givens (and Edleman) were anomolies and Bethel and Jackson proved BB can't identify WR's in the draft or develop them... Not to mention since 2007 it has somehow become clear we just can't ever win without an explosive deep passing game...

Drew Brees is throwing to a 7th rounder, a 2nd rounder, an UDFA and a slow to develop 1st rounder. His TE's are a former bust 1st rounder they debated hanging onto last season and a late round kid we traded them. His TE's don't get asked to do a ton.

Peyton Manning is throwing to a former 1st rounder who spent years as his #2, a 4th round rookie and a second year UDFA... His slot receiver is his TE.

The only pattern here is their best weapons are the ones they drafted and developed to fit their system. We need to get back to that. Brady can develop reasonably talented WR with the best of them. He doesn't need a TE in the slot because he has Welker/Edleman. What he needs are a couple of more reasonably talented instinctive football players to develop as 3rd and 4th WR's and a couple of blocking TE's who can catch the damn ball once or twice or occasionally three times a game, particularly in the red zone.

This point brings up another that I wanted to broach. Who else here would have preferred that the Pats attempted to keep Baker and Watson? That way, they could have beefed up DE, OLB, WR and other needs in the draft. Now, they'll have to spend perhaps two, but at least one draft pick on TE.

It just seems like a weird year to do that given the injury backgrounds of so many of the top TEs in the draft. Let's say they draft a TE with one of the second round picks. We will never know what DE or OLB, as examples, they would have otherwise drafted there, and what they would have done for the team.

Will the TEs they draft, be drastically better than Baker and Watson, such that this was a smart approach? I guess we're going to find out.

Assuming we could sign him to a reasonable contract, I would be willing to give Ten their pick back in return for Scaife and their 3rd rounder.

But that's about as much as I'd give up for him and it's probably more than he's worth.

This point brings up another that I wanted to broach. Who else here would have preferred that the Pats attempted to keep Baker and Watson? That way, they could have beefed up DE, OLB, WR and other needs in the draft. Now, they'll have to spend perhaps two, but at least one draft pick on TE.

It just seems like a weird year to do that given the injury backgrounds of so many of the top TEs in the draft. Let's say they draft a TE with one of the second round picks. We will never know what DE or OLB, as examples, they would have otherwise drafted there, and what they would have done for the team.

Will the TEs they draft, be drastically better than Baker and Watson, such that this was a smart approach? I guess we're going to find out.

Baker was cut because of attitude. Keeping that guy around accomplishes nothing beyond reinforcing a bad precident in the locker room. Just show up don't worry about effort because they need someone in your slot and having once made the roster they'll be forced to hang on to you just to fill space...

Watson got a 3 year deal that may net us a decent comp pick in 2011. I guess if you want a $6M+ guaranteed stop gap that gains you nothing and barely maintains the status quo, overpaying to hang on to that player would be the move... About as nonsensically value oriented a one as trading a draft pick for a TE you really don't want to avoid possibly wasting it on a draft pick who might just pan out to be one you do want...

The tortured logic here lately is...tortured.

I like reading all the rumors or ideas concerning acquiring a tight end. It is the next best thing to a game. I guarantee BB already has chosen his tight ends. Either by trade which will be announced at a later date, or a cut player which is already a done deal. He may pick one up in the draft, but would think theirs some uncertainty in that. This is BB we are talking about, does anyone think he's cut, not signed his TE without having a plan.

I have to agree. BB knows who he wants already.
Wouldn't you Love to be a fly on the wall in one of their draft meetings and hear who they like,ect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes