PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Bengals Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an expert, but I've noticed (or I think I've noticed) that the play of Samuel and Hobbs is different. Samuel is not terribly fast, he is quick, and that has to be made up for by playing off of the line. This is usually done with some over the top help, and also allows for him to make more gambles on jumped routes. He'll allow some longer completions, but when his gambles pay off they are big.

Hobbs has more speed and can line up closer to the receiver on many plays (this doesn't happen always). I remember a third down play late in the game, it was third and nine, and CJ ran a slant from the offensive left, and Hobbs had been right at the line in coverage and was like velcro. Incomplete pass.

The two are different, but good.

I agree, they definitely are both different and good in their own ways. It has always seemed to me that Hobbs is more aware of the receiver and Samuel is more aware of the qb, kinda. I think Hobbs is far superior to Samuel at making a play on the ball on deep passes, but Samuel is better at predicting/jumping the route and getting the big INT (though that means he takes more risks as well, which he better not do against the Colts since they love to fake you out and go deep for the wide open TD).

All in all it's great to have both of them starting, and the coaches scheme so well to hide the weaknesses and let their strengths shine.

i think our OL lacks consistency overall. Sometimes they are amazing in pass protection..other times they get driven back so easily..especially Light. Run blocking..sometimes they open up a lot ..sometimes nothing

if they can just put it all together and stay consistent..were going be dominate. If OL plays like last night against tougher teams..its gonna get real rough. i mean..Bengals didnt even blitz that often. They blitzed many like 4 plays all game.

defensivly..we just gotta tackle better. were inconsistent tackling. Against Chargers-Jets we were great..same with 2nd half against Bills but last night we let Chad get good yards after that catch on Hobbs and Kenny Watson should've been stuffed in backfield 2-3 times but most notably..Seau ran past him on the first series i think

positives are that our LBs look real good..especially Thomas. Our DL still needs to create more pressure imo. Samuel had his moments..some bumps but its part of the game and i didnt expect him to completely shut down anyone his side..not against the Bengals. Hobbs ..same as Samuel. had his moments..let up some passes under him.

on the Morris TD..Ben Watson pancaked the defender . great block.

Morris is a tough RB like i said all along. hes faster,very strong and makes good cuts but not as good as Laurence for those thinking Maroney might take the bench soon.

Last edited:
i think our OL lacks consistency overall.

if they can just put it all together and stay consistent..were going be dominate. If OL plays like last night against tougher teams..its gonna get real rough. i mean..Bengals didnt even blitz that often. They blitzed many like 4 plays all game.

defensivly..we just gotta tackle better. were inconsistent tackling.

You have absolutely, positively GOT to be kidding me. The Patriots tackled GREAT last night, and they are probably without question THE best tackling team in the NFL. Being a great tackling team doesn't mean you don't EVER mess up and tackle poorly. That would be called "tackling perfectly."

As for OL consistency, I mean I guess it's not PERFECT but they've been REALLY consistent, in my view. "if they can just put it all together and stay consistent, we're going to dominate?" GOING TO? I mean, come on, man, what the Hell do you want? It's not going to be perfect, but how exactly are we not ALREADY dominating?

Listen, I get that we haven't played the Cowboys or the Colts yet, but we played a damn good offensive team last night, with their backs against the wall, in hostile territory, on Monday night. And without playing absolutely our BEST, we won by THREE touchdowns.

And I realize you are just giving you're two cents, and that you made some positive points also, but I feel like our expectations are unrealistic. It's NEVER going to be perfect. It's very unlikely it will be AS thunderously awesome as it has just been for the first month of the season. Let's not get greedy.

Last edited:
You have absolutely, positively GOT to be kidding me. The Patriots tackled GREAT last night, and they are probably without question THE best tackling team in the NFL. Being a great tackling team doesn't mean you don't EVER mess up and tackle poorly. That would be called "tackling perfectly."

As for OL consistency, I mean I guess it's not PERFECT but they've been REALLY consistent, in my view. "if they can just put it all together and stay consistent, we're going to dominate?" GOING TO? I mean, come on, man, what the Hell do you want? It's not going to be perfect, but how exactly are we not ALREADY dominating?

Listen, I get that we haven't played the Cowboys or the Colts yet, but we played a damn good offensive team last night, with their backs against the wall, in hostile territory, on Monday night. And without playing absolutely our BEST, we won by THREE touchdowns.

And I realize you are just giving you're two cents, and that you made some positive points also, but I feel like our expectations are unrealistic. It's NEVER going to be perfect. It's very unlikely it will be AS thunderously awesome as it has just been for the first month of the season. Let's not get greedy.

I agree with you on both main points. There were a couple obvious tackling errors, but they were excellent for the most part. And the OL just had what most teams would consider "their best game of the season" and it doubled as their *worst* game of the seaon. NE was dominant on the OL for the first three games. If you want to point to one game as a trend, so be it. But so far the Cincy game is the outlier.

Forgot Ghost looked solid, the block on the extra point was not his fault. The guy came screaming in from the left side, I swear he had a 10 yard head start, he was in there in a flash.

Question for the Tivo crowd? - 4th quarter play
2nd and 19 at NE 44 (7:06) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to D.Stallworth to CIN 33 for 23 yards (D.O'Neal).

On the WR screen to Stallworth who was the offensive lineman running 10 yards in front of Stallworth. I saw the replay and was laughing my head off, here is the big bulky guy running like his pants are on fire at least 30 yards past the line of scrimmage. I could almost hear him say ' I hit someone now'.

If you have the tape re-watch this play it is hilarious.

Weakest link - I am not sure we have to name one, but I would say Wilson.

I think the age of the linebackers is still a concern. Bruschi and Seau are showing fatigue in games. It's a long season. But that's not much of a concern as you can strategize to minimize that if it becomes an issue (it hasn't been yet). We still have the versatile Vrabel and AD Thomas who can play the spots.

Our secondary is fine. We have some players back there. I'm not seeing the weakness. I'd like to get to a live game and see how the downfield coverage looks. They are fine tacklers and aren't getting beat over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back