PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Vollmer agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much cap space do you guys anticipate we will have now?

if I had to pull a number out of my ass, I'd say ~12m.
I might've guessed 11, but the 1's are kind of pointy

Re: Pats resign Vollmer!!!

Added
Veteran Safety - Wilson
Starting CB - Talib
Depth CB - Arrington
Starting RT - Vollmer
Slot - Amadola
WR - Jones
DT/DE- Armstead

Lost
Best slot WR in the NFL - Welker
Solid outside WR - Llloyd

If they can add Abraham before the draft they will basically have a competitive roster and can use the draft to improve depth. After the draft they can cherry pick UDFAs and vets for the minimum.

CB
WR
Lengthy athletic DL
Interior OL

Take your pick :)

ill take CB... Esp the Cb's that are gonna be in this years draft... geez it really is like take your pick. banks trufant rhodes wendi-wilson poyer. poyer would obv be a late round pick but id like for the pats to take a cb in the 1st. Unless keenan allen or tavon wilson was available. yes we have talib and dennard but who knows if dennard stays out of prison. and plus it would be nice to have good depth and someone who will be here beyond next year, since talib just has a 1 year deal

Totally disagree.
-The Seymour/Warren #1s laid the foundation that allowed the defense to be multi-faceted....giving their LBs opportunities to make plays.
-The Ravens D line was so stout (verses NE), this allowed the D to play in nickel even on run downs....result ...NE averaged 3 yd/run and Brady was a 53% passer. This is the kind of D I want.
-Wilfork is aging/playing high % of plays. Only interior foundation piece
-Deep DT draft (so they say). With NE likely to be drafting at the back end of every draft in years to come (Thanks to Tom Brady's immortality), NE may want to take advantage when the opportunity (DT draft depth) presents itself.

We worry about the secondary (understandable), but building a wall of 4 allows NE to be more creative behind the wall. And as BB says...only so many giant athletic behemoths on the planet

Find me a Wilfork/Warren/Seymour available when we pick and I'd agree with you. But you are talking about #6, #13 and #21 overall for those three picks. A DT that can both stop the run and pressure the QB (ie a 3 down guy) is an elite skillset that isn't a given at the backend of the first - even in a strong year for DT's.

This is good news if true. Agree that Abraham/Sanders would make this offseason a very good one in theory (you can't really evaluate until you see the results on the field). No huge signings just a bunch of efficient ones in key areas. If we land 2 or 3 decent players in the draft at key positions (DB, WR, DL/LB depending on Abraham) we are as complete a team as you can get in the salary cap era.

Totally disagree.
-The Seymour/Warren #1s laid the foundation that allowed the defense to be multi-faceted....giving their LBs opportunities to make plays.
-The Ravens D line was so stout (verses NE), this allowed the D to play in nickel even on run downs....result ...NE averaged 3 yd/run and Brady was a 53% passer. This is the kind of D I want.
-Wilfork is aging/playing high % of plays. Only interior foundation piece
-Deep DT draft (so they say). With NE likely to be drafting at the back end of every draft in years to come (Thanks to Tom Brady's immortality), NE may want to take advantage when the opportunity (DT draft depth) presents itself.

We worry about the secondary (understandable), but building a wall of 4 allows NE to be more creative behind the wall. And as BB says...only so many giant athletic behemoths on the planet

I agree to an extent. The DL is valuable, but as the league becomes more and more a passing league, its that pass rush that is most important.
With the rule changes, and emphasis on turning secondary play into asking permission before hitting, there is almost no defense that can stop a 2 minute offense by covering. 4 passes to get 10 yards is almost unstoppable unless you pressure the QB.
A relentless pass rush that not only gets pressure but influences the play calling of the offense (ie get it out quick to beat the rush) is the only way to be a really excellent defense in the NFL under the current rules and emphasis.

The other problem is that offensive holding becomes more and more legal. Scheming a pass rush doesn't work consistently either. You need skilled pass rushers who can win one on one battles, and deal with legal holding.

Finally something goes right in the offseason.

Finally something goes right in the offseason.

Didn't like Talib, Arrington, Wilson, Amendola, Jones, Armstead?

C'mon Andy, you can bang that drum when we sign Abraham or Martin (or both). This is about Volmer and the OL. I'm thrilled about the signing, but I DON'T want to see last year's OL. Now that we have all the pieces I want to see a BETTER OL. I want to see Solder improved, Mankins healthy, Wendell solid, CANNON earth shattering, and Volmer playing to his highest level again. Add to that Dan Connolly super sub on the interior and the best of the OT's to join Cannon as back ups at that postion Now THAT is an OL that will be truly daunting for opposing DL's and LB's caught betwixt and between defending the run and pass.

Sounds like the bargains continue to abound if the rumors are correct and this contract averages less than the $4MM they are talking about. That will still leave plenty of money for a pass receiver and pass rusher, PLUS the possibility to lock up one of next year's potential FA's early with an extension that won't show up on this year's cap?

Wow what great news seriously. We resign the beast SeaBass get our shut down corner, Big Hitter at Safety, and got rid of our anchor Margarine Welker. I cant wait for this season. We got 2 first picks in the Armstead signing cant wait till see this animal unleashed. We got Ballard and Gronk at TE i think will see Ahern More spit out this year. I would love to see us draft the most underated WR in the upcoming draft Da'rick Rogers would also like to see them draft that giant MARGUS HUNT. Margus will be able to provide us with what won us superbowls and thats batting passes down. 6 8 lmao. Animal. :rocker::rocker:

Talib isn't a shutdown corner. He's very talented and has elite upside but he was inconsistent with Tampa Bay. Gave up a lot of big plays, especially to Hakeem Nicks last year. Having said that, Talib is still the best man-to-man CB this team has had since Ty Law. Very excited to have him back and equally thrilled to keep Vollmer.

Some of that cap money should be used to extend Solder while there is a big down market for tackles. Lock him up.

LTs are typically a huge cap hit.

Find me a Wilfork/Warren/Seymour available when we pick and I'd agree with you. But you are talking about #6, #13 and #21 overall for those three picks. A DT that can both stop the run and pressure the QB (ie a 3 down guy) is an elite skillset that isn't a given at the backend of the first - even in a strong year for DT's.

Not to mention getting Wilfork at 21 was a gift. Many analysts and mocks had him going no less than 10. For whatever reason he fell like a ton of bricks and the Pats capitalized. I remember screaming at my TV to trade up when he got past 15. When we got him at 21 it was euphoria.

Talib isn't a shutdown corner. He's very talented and has elite upside but he was inconsistent with Tampa Bay. Gave up a lot of big plays, especially to Hakeem Nicks last year. Having said that, Talib is still the best man-to-man CB this team has had since Ty Law. Very excited to have him back and equally thrilled to keep Vollmer.
No he probably isn't a true "shutdown CB", there are probably only 5 of those in the league....at MOST. What he is, is a big physical CB who will be able to play very aggressively because he's going to have a S with great range playing behind him.

That is a combination of talent that we haven't had here since......the rules were changed. And while it might take a half a season for the offense to finally get into sync once we settle on our WR's, the defense is going to be better from the get go, and the running game should be solid from the start as well

This is a hard draft to get a grip on but when I look at who should be off the board when the Patriots pick and who is left Jesse Williams looks like one of the best options for them. And while I don't see DT as one of their biggest needs he may well be the best value for them. He is going to command double teams and beside Wilfork it could create a situation where both are doubled and teams can't afford to double their ends. He's raw but his upside is huge and if he did end up turning out to be anywhere near as good as Wilfork is then he would be a steal at that point in the draft.

WR is clearly their biggest need but Belichick has never gone down that road in the first and I don't think he will this year. I would be happy with K. Allen, R. Woods, and possibly Hopkins in the first but won't be the least bit surprised to see Belichick go for line help.

Love the re-signing of Vollmer. They still have work to do but overall the offseason is going pretty well. If they can sign Abraham and Sanders they will be in pretty good shape heading to the draft.

I'm really surprised that they haven't re-signed Edelman, more than anyone a 1 year deal for him could give him much more leverage for next year's free agency. If i were him i wouldn't want a multi year deal i would want one back in NE with Brady and hope to put up some significant numbers and then capitalize on them.

I agree to an extent. The DL is valuable, but as the league becomes more and more a passing league, its that pass rush that is most important.
With the rule changes, and emphasis on turning secondary play into asking permission before hitting, there is almost no defense that can stop a 2 minute offense by covering. 4 passes to get 10 yards is almost unstoppable unless you pressure the QB.
A relentless pass rush that not only gets pressure but influences the play calling of the offense (ie get it out quick to beat the rush) is the only way to be a really excellent defense in the NFL under the current rules and emphasis.

The other problem is that offensive holding becomes more and more legal. Scheming a pass rush doesn't work consistently either. You need skilled pass rushers who can win one on one battles, and deal with legal holding.
I would say that a pass rushing DT would improve a lot. Last year we had none. We need someone who can wreak havok from the middle and make sure that the QB can't step up from the ends.

Good news. Would like to add Abraham, Edelman, Vaughn Martin, and Sanders via offer sheet to round out FA. Then focus on WR and DE/DT in the draft.

Any terms released on the deal yet? How I feel about this deal will depend largely on whether or not the Pats got a cap-friendly contract or if they overpaid to Kyle Arrington proportions. For now, I'm cautiously confident that they made a good deal.

This is a hard draft to get a grip on but when I look at who should be off the board when the Patriots pick and who is left Jesse Williams looks like one of the best options for them. And while I don't see DT as one of their biggest needs he may well be the best value for them. He is going to command double teams and beside Wilfork it could create a situation where both are doubled and teams can't afford to double their ends. He's raw but his upside is huge and if he did end up turning out to be anywhere near as good as Wilfork is then he would be a steal at that point in the draft.

WR is clearly their biggest need but Belichick has never gone down that road in the first and I don't think he will this year. I would be happy with K. Allen, R. Woods, and possibly Hopkins in the first but won't be the least bit surprised to see Belichick go for line help.

I like Jesse Williams too and I'd be reasonably comfortable with him at 29. Whilst he has every down upside, my worry is that he'll never be more than a run-stopping plugger, albeit a very good one, and in today's passing league, that's not great value.Hankins and Sylvester Williams are the other two guys I could live with but they don't thrill me.

Some of that cap money should be used to extend Solder while there is a big down market for tackles. Lock him up.

LTs are typically a huge cap hit.

He's only two years in to four year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back