PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and the Franchise Tag - Seymour too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pay da man

Gotta give the sides time to work it out. This could take a while.....

Pay da man
You can't say that without knowing what he wants. What if he is asking for $100 million over 4 years. Should we still "pay da man" ?

You can't say that without knowing what he wants. What if he is asking for $100 million over 4 years. Should we still "pay da man" ?

Take a deep breath n relax, I was just yapping no need to get all crazy bud.

In other related news, it would only cost 7M to tag Wilfork!! :D He says 7M would be a slap in the face?? How much does he want? I think the threat of the tag is a pretty powerful negotiating tool.

In other related news, it would only cost 7M to tag Wilfork!! :D He says 7M would be a slap in the face?? How much does he want? I think the threat of the tag is a pretty powerful negotiating tool.

it's not that he wants a lot more then 7 million. but he wants that 20 to 25 million in guaranteed money that a long term deal gives him

and thats the money that the pats don't give out to just any one the guaranteed money that don't hit the cap as hard but comes right out of krafts pocket.

it's not that he wants a lot more then 7 million. but he wants that 20 to 25 million in guaranteed money that a long term deal gives him

and thats the money that the pats don't give out to just any one the guaranteed money that don't hit the cap as hard but comes right out of krafts pocket.

Your right about this but I feel he has earned it. We need to be fair with our best players imo.
Pay him.

Your right about this but I feel he has earned it. We need to be fair with our best players imo.
Pay him.

You don't pay players on what they have accomplished. You play player on how they will perform (which can be projected based on track-record and projections) and how that ties out in value to the team- especially in the NFL.

The fact remains that once Sey got his deal in 2006, he underperformed up to his contract. He got hurt. He was very good, but not worth the cash he was given.

Based on your argument, why would they want to do that again? Never mind the fact he is on the wrong side of 30.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This could easily turn ugly if BB does not handle this well.

I still think our best alternative is to franchise him and then trade him to KC for the #5 pick.

You don't pay players on what they have accomplished. You play player on how they will perform (which can be projected based on track-record and projections) and how that ties out in value to the team- especially in the NFL.

The fact remains that once Sey got his deal in 2006, he underperformed up to his contract. He got hurt. He was very good, but not worth the cash he was given.

Based on your argument, why would they want to do that again? Never mind the fact he is on the wrong side of 30.

Thank You

With that being said, I want Vince back, but at a # that doesn't prohibit the team from making moves to get better...I see some of the crazy contracts that some athletes get, that totally destroys the pay structure and limits what the team can do..because they think they deserve a ridiculous % of the entire payroll to play there.

I think most fans feel that way, maybe I'm wrong.

Thank You

With that being said, I want Vince back, but at a # that doesn't prohibit the team from making moves to get better...I see some of the crazy contracts that some athletes get, that totally destroys the pay structure and limits what the team can do..because they think they deserve a ridiculous % of the entire payroll to play there.

I think most fans feel that way, maybe I'm wrong.

I agree 100%. I try not to get caught up in the, "hes making $30m whats he complaining about", stuff. Some of these guys grew up in horrific circumstances (10 kids to a bathroom in a 3 room house. Moms working 3 jobs. Drugs and murders everywhere...) and because their performance every weekend sells shirts, tickets, brings in TV $$ and sponsors, maybe they deserve a little cash coming their way. Good CEOs and managers generate millions of dollars in profits for investors so whats the difference? But I digress.

To your point, its all about the team spending the money wisely so that it can operate with the financial flexibility it needs to be opportunistic when the time is right to make a move and get "over the hump". Also its important to be untethered to any albatross contracts which force the team to play players that aren't putting out the production commensurate to the contract they signed years gone by.

Its a tough call with Vince no doubt. It was an easy call with Sey in 2005. He was dominatating and a few years younger. You could make the case that if Asante got the cash from the Pats, there would be a few complainers, but overall for a guy who has 19 INTs (inc playoffs in 2 years) you could at least argue he was worth it...

Last edited:
if they spend 14 million on seymour, how are they going to have enough money to sign another QB? ;)

totally agree..... well said. I still believe

tag .... tag/trade is in order year 2 we trade w/ tag.

not to mention he is putting on lots of fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes