PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Ninkovich agree on contract adjustment increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I did the numbers quickly in my head, it went from a 2-year deal for $6.05 million to a 2-year deal for $7.00 million. This assumes he makes incentives for workout and # of snaps played, but not for Pro Bowl appearance.

But it was quick, so I could have been wrong.

I think his numbers don't add up. Should be 4.75 for each year. An increase of 800k this year, and a decrease of 50k next year.

You are correct :)

For the Patriots yes, other teams might deviate.. even when Brady was recovering he was not allowed on the sidelines... do not recall another Pats player who was on IR on the sidelines prior to Mayo.

I believe the standard for the Pats is that a player need to be medically cleared..

Kevin Faulk. Troy Brown. Ty Law. Just to name a few..

So they moved cash to this year - understandable, since they had to spend cash up to the 89% mark.

Not sure why people think of that when it comes to Ninkovich. Amount of cash saved with Amendola's paycut almost matches cash increase with Ninkovich.

The deadline for the 89% cash spending is not this March but March 2017.
Not sure, in looking at your page, what the effect on CAP HITS for this year and next will be, compared to the previous deal. Are they taking a bigger hit this year to reduce next year's hit?

Look at the picture at the bottom of the page.

Here's hoping that this picture clears up some questions.
ninkdeal.png

Not sure why people think of that when it comes to Ninkovich. Amount of cash saved with Amendola's paycut almost matches cash increase with Ninkovich.

The deadline for the 89% cash spending is not this March but March 2017.

Look at the picture at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.

Looks like they did Nink a solid.

Agree. It looks like they simply did Nink a solid and bumped his pay/cap for 2015. What's odd, though, is that the team could do him a solid AND get something reasonable in return (like, for example, an extra year on his contract). I mean, Ninkovich couldn't object to that. He surely is not holding out to hit free agency when he turns 33?

The lack of any kind of reciprocation strikes me as odd. I wonder if he went to the team and said that he was thinking about retiring and this was an effort to convince him to play one more season?

If there is a guy who deserves a raise is Ninko, crucial sack on the SB. Fan favorite player, I want him to return a kick for a TD like Connoly almost did.

That sack was beautiful. Nobody could catch the guy and Nink wrapped him up like a Christmas present.

Thanks.

Looks like they did Nink a solid.
Well, the net-net is a +$750k to Nink.

In 2016, as a 32 year old player, is it more reasonable to assume that the team will employ you at a $2m or $3.5m one?

That cap # still can be tweaked but not 100% sure on that.

Agree. It looks like they simply did Nink a solid and bumped his pay/cap for 2015. What's odd, though, is that the team could do him a solid AND get something reasonable in return (like, for example, an extra year on his contract). I mean, Ninkovich couldn't object to that. He surely is not holding out to hit free agency when he turns 33?

The lack of any kind of reciprocation strikes me as odd. I wonder if he went to the team and said that he was thinking about retiring and this was an effort to convince him to play one more season?

The Pats MUST have had some kind of financial benefit. Unless Nink pulled a Rodney after the 04 season and complained about his contract they threw him a bone. Could be something similar to Brady's deal where he received an xtra $1m/year for allowing the team not to fully guarantee his deal and "un-escrow" $.

Does the team need to escrow LTBE? That might be it...Frees up $1.6m in 2016.

The secret sauce to this thing that everyone is missing so far is Jamaal Sheard.

Sheard's cap hit is $4 million in 2015 and $7 million in 2016.
Ninkovich was due to have a $3.95 million cap hit in 2015, less than Sheard. Now he has a cap hit of $4.75 million in both 2015 and 2016.

This year Ninkovich is expected to start over Sheard in rotation and his contract reflects such.
Next year, Sheard is expected to overtake Ninkovich and Sheard's contract reflects such.

This is about locker-room management, not squeezing cap space or cashflow. The Patriots have payroll slots and they are bumping Ninko into the appropriate slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back