PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Fins interested in Porter

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/football/nfl/oakland_raiders/15716231.htm

Porter sidelined again

Receiver Jerry Porter didn't suit up for the fourth straight game. Time is running out for the Raiders to deal a player who has been at odds with coach Art Shell from the time he had his first meeting with Shell during the offseason.

The Raiders have until Oct. 17 to consummate a deal for Porter before the league trading deadline hits. A person close to the situation said the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots have expressed interest.

I would be pleasantly surprised if we actually made a move for Porter especially when it sounds like they want a 1st rounder for him.

Ceresco said:
I would be pleasantly surprised if we actually made a move for Porter especially when it sounds like they want a 1st rounder for him.

You mean you'd give up a first-rounder for him? I wouldn't. I think if we can just get Chad Jackson to get over his injury and learn the offense we'll be fine at WR.

That's got to be a typo. Why would ANY Pats fan want Porter for a 1st rounder???

it would never cost a 1st rounder.

Tunescribe said:
You mean you'd give up a first-rounder for him? I wouldn't. I think if we can just get Chad Jackson to get over his injury and learn the offense we'll be fine at WR.

Where did I say I would give a 1st for him?? No way would I do that, I would be pleasantly surprised if we traded for him because I doubt we'd give a 1st...meaning we probably robbed the Raiders again.

Last edited:
I hope Miami gets him. Just what they need, another WR on a team in the throws of a QB controversey with a HC so on edge he's liable to implode at any time in between public kudos to his boys for playing tough to 1-4. And Nick won't have anyone to blame in 2007 when he doesn't have the draft picks he needs to get a real QB and really get the franchise turned around. The more self absorbed relcamation projects he adds to that squad the less likely anyone ever gets the culture changed, including Nick's sucessor.

I doubt the Pats have any current interest in Porter -- my guess is that the story's source, probably Porter's agent, was using month-old talks to make it seem like there's more buzz for Porter than there is.

If they do, however, than the Gaffney signing could serve not just for depth, but also as a sign to Oakland that the Pats are happy to move on if they're not willing to drastically lower their asking price.

Oakland's back is kind of against a wall now. With the deadline approaching and so little interest in him, they'll either have to take what they can get, or deal with him the rest of the season.

I guess they were hoping a WR-dependent contender (like the Colts) would lose a receiver to an injury in the first 5 weeks.

Our team needs Receivers,one receiver as Jerry Porter always is welcome.

Last edited:
While the signing of Gaffney makes this unlikely, for a 2nd I would love Jerry Porter. He's got all type of potential and talent. Gaffney's not exactly a saint, either.

we sign and cut people all the time (see Hank Poteat) I wouldnt say the Gaffney signing has any bearing on the Porter situation. I dont understand the bad wrap on Porter he had a clean record the past few years and one incident this year not even confirmed is tainting him. Hard to say I blame Porter because the current Raider organization is a joke. I dont see him as a problem player. It was way overblown

I wonder why the Patriots would be interested in him giving the fact he has been at ODDS with his HEAD COACH since their first meeting.

Who cares about compensation until this hurdle is overcome...

Does not sound like a Patriot Type player to me.

LA Pats Fan said:
I wonder why the Patriots would be interested in him giving the fact he has been at ODDS with his HEAD COACH since their first meeting.

Who cares about compensation until this hurdle is overcome...

Does not sound like a Patriot Type player to me.

See, I'd be concerned about signing any player that DIDN'T have problems with the Oakland organization...

Pat_Nasty said:
See, I'd be concerned about signing any player that DIDN'T have problems with the Oakland organization...

LOL. Good point.

Still, why do we need Porter? We needed a 4th or 5th WR and we got it in Gaffney, all that's left is for CJ to leapfrog Caldwell on the depth chart and we'll be set.

Last edited:
I'm sure that Jerry Porter if we do a important ofert he will go,I'm sure

Last edited:
Would we get much bang for the buck with Porter this year? Also, do these problematic WRs earn their keep? Look at T.O. right now. What a waste of $25M.

Don't get excited, the source close to the situation is probably Borges.

gaffney was arrested on gun charges this offseason.

R_T26 said:
gaffney was arrested on gun charges this offseason.

He had a licensed gun and a concealed weapon permit in Texas, where he used to play. He thought they were valid in Jersey + Pennsylvania, but was mistaken. A cop pulled him over, and saw his gun when he reached into the glove compartment for his registration. There have been no vehicular charges coming from the traffic stop.

All in all, seems pretty benign.

Here's a link to the story:
http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_209120253.html

A quote from Reid:

"He had the gun registered in the state of Texas, he thought it was fine on his move up here,†Reid said. “Jabar is not the kind of guy I’m too worried about. He’s a pretty straight shooter. ... No pun intended there.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back